Aussies share techniques to save $400 every month to combat cost of living crisis

In a world where the cost of living seems to be on an upward trajectory, it's no surprise that many of us are feeling the pinch.

With utility bills, groceries, and everyday expenses creeping higher, finding ways to stretch our dollars further is becoming a necessity.

Thankfully, there are clever strategies to combat these financial pressures shared by three Australians who have successfully saved $400 a month.

Monique from Western Australia had an eye-opening moment when she realised her 'occasional' work lunches were accumulating into a substantial expense.

‘I walk through a food court to get to work,’ she said.

shutterstock_2204092191.jpg
Three Aussies shared their stories of how they saved almost $400 on their groceries. Credit: Shutterstock

Monique and her husband began tracking their finances with Up Bank. But they soon discovered they were spending a whopping $400 a month on coffee, lunches, and snacks during the workday.

The solution? They didn't eliminate their spending entirely but instead halved it, setting a budget of $100 each per month for at-work indulgences.

Monique found that preparing a variety of snacks to take to work helped her resist the temptation of the food court and stay within budget.

The $200 they saved each month gave them ‘peace of mind that we can still have some spending freedom and cover our essentials as well’.

Next, Milli and her husband Dan stumbled upon a video online that prompted them to scrutinise their grocery shopping habits.

They believed they were only visiting the supermarket for their main weekly shop with the occasional top-up.

‘I knew this could be a problem area for me since the shops are literally on my daily commute home,’ Milli said.

‘I searched my banking app for Woolworths, Coles, ALDI, IGA, markets, anything I could think of, and added up not only the dollar value but the number of times I was using them per week.’

‘In my head, we went once a week, maybe with a top-up if we really needed something, but apparently, we were doing multiple midweek top-ups, as well as a weekend shop at a local market.’

By dedicating half an hour each Saturday to meal planning, including easy 'lazy meals' for the weekends, they've managed to save ‘at least $100 a week’.

They've also reduced food waste and cut down on takeaway by being more strategic with their ingredient purchases.

With a dream trip to Europe on the horizon, the savings from their grocery budget are ‘definitely helping’ their travel fund, and the thought of enjoying a $100 pizza and wine in Italy is a delightful incentive to keep their spending in check.

Here's the video Milli and Dan watched below:

Credit: @the.brokegeneration / TikTok

Lastly, Alexis from Central Victoria found a creative solution to the dilemma of 'what's for dinner?' and the complexities of splitting meal costs.

As the default head chef in her four-person household, Alexis was weary of the mental strain of meal planning and preparation.

The housemates decided to subscribe to a meal box delivery service, which not only streamlined their costs and planning but also automated payments and evenly distributed the cooking responsibilities.

‘We each agreed on the price and cost level,’ she said. ‘That night we each set up the direct [payment] to my card. It was easy as it was all automated.’

Each housemate got to pick a meal they wanted each week, and whoever arrived home first took on the chef's hat for the evening.

‘Mental load and meal sharing was much much easier,’ Alexis said.

Meal planning is an effective strategy to save money and reduce food waste.

In a previous story, it mentioned several ways how to start meal planning, and it doesn’t take much of your time. You can read more about meal planning here.
Key Takeaways
  • Australians share simple strategies to manage the increasing cost of living by identifying and addressing money leaks in their daily spending habits.
  • Tracking expenses can reveal significant, overlooked expenditures, leading to more mindful spending and substantial monthly savings.
  • Meal planning, including meal boxes, can reduce impulse buying, takeaway frequency, food waste, and simplify cost-splitting among housemates.
  • Saving on everyday expenses allows individuals to allocate funds towards larger goals, such as travel, and provides a financial buffer against rising costs.
Have you discovered any simple tricks to save money that have improved your life? Share your experiences and tips in the comments below!

Sponsored
I find if I do one main shop every fortnight or three weeks, then only buy fresh produce, milk and bread in between I’m not spending as much. I only go to the supermarkets when I really need fresh stuff. I stretch out the time between my big shops as much as I can by using items I have at home until they are almost completely used up, this also means less food wastage as everything is getting used before expiring. Not that I worry too much about expiry dates on most things, I grew up when expiry dates weren’t a thing, so some items were kept and used for years, eg spices, pickles etc. home preserved fruits, pickles, jams etc were kept and used for several years when we had bumper crops, nothing was wasted back then.

I find if I do one main shop every fortnight or three weeks, then only buy fresh produce, milk and bread in between I’m not spending as much. I only go to the supermarkets when I really need fresh stuff. I stretch out the time between my big shops as much as I can by using items I have at home until they are almost completely used up, this also means less food wastage as everything is getting used before expiring. Not that I worry too much about expiry dates on most things, I grew up when expiry dates weren’t a thing, so some items were kept and used for years, eg spices, pickles etc. home preserved fruits, pickles, jams etc were kept and used for several years when we had bumper crops, nothing was wasted back then.
Exactly.... apply the smell, touch and taste checks... plus common sense.
There is stuff in my pantry that is 5 years past its use-by date.....

Close all the Tattoo Parlours - that will help those who can't afford to feed their children.

When I go out shopping, I notice so many people with tatts.
They think they are cool.
I think they are nuts!

Why would anyone permanently stain their skin (with often demonic hate/death) images, or even childish butterflies and the like, when they are struggling to pay rent, mortgage, car, energy bills?

When I see someone crying "I'm homeless" and I see them covered with tatts, I walk on by.

Yes - it's a judgement call.
But then I remember the monthly subs to the Food Bank I make, and just sigh. You cannot help those who are too addled to help themselves.

I could cut down on my twice/week flat white, but it's what keeps me half sane (you can judge the other half) when I am a full-time carer for my wife.
When I go to the shopping centre - 4 minutes walking - I buy 2L fresh milk and 2 x 1litre long-life milk, bread, fish/chicken/veges and a treat for my wife.

Once a week my wife comes along (in the car) and uses the shopping trolley for support as she walks the aisles with me. We both benefit from getting out of the house.

So shopping is more than budgeting - it's a life saver event for some of us.
No one has endless resources, and do follow frugal habits when we can.

Appreciating the tips many are posting here - thank you guys.

Oh, here's my tip to save on men's shaving cream: (no, don't grow a beard - too itchy!
A few years ago we went to Sydney, and I forgot the shaving cream.
I thought: what can I use?

The free samples of shampoo and conditioner were handy, so I used hair conditioner and voila! Smoothest shave ever.
Men should try it next shave, and you will never buy Gillette shaving cream etc again.

Just wet your face (ladies who shave their legs - this applies too) and put enough conditioner on your hands to cover a 10 cent piece.
Briefly spread it on palms and apply to skin. Wait one minute - or massage into skin for a minute or less - 20 seconds is ok).

Reactions: maherdj
Close all the Tattoo Parlours - that will help those who can't afford to feed their children.

I think they are nuts!

Why would anyone permanently stain their skin (with often demonic hate/death) images, or even childish butterflies and the like, when they are struggling to pay rent, mortgage, car, energy bills?

When I see someone crying "I'm homeless" and I see them covered with tatts, I walk on by.

But then I remember the monthly subs to the Food Bank I make, and just sigh. You cannot help those who are too addled to help themselves.
I agree with you, and tattoos are very expensive, I have no sympathy with people that have tattoos and claim they can't afford the rent etc, got to get your priorities right.

I think they are nuts!

Touché.....

Reactions: Ingot
You know they may have had the tattoos long before falling on hard times.
Judgy much
And you know, they may not have had them for very long before 'falling on hard times' too.

I am immune to name calling - it shows the person doing it is unable to carry their point of view very well & has not done their research.

After reading this, you might reinterpret the word 'Judgy' as "Warning."

Around 15% of all Australians have at least ONE Tattoo.
Excluding the 3.2 million kids under 15yrs, that's around 3.6 million people of adult age who have tatttoos.

Is it possible 3.6 million people were not on hard times before they got their tatts?
I can think of a better way to spend between $3,000 and $15,000 than on a 'full sleeve' tattoo.

"... but you can expect to pay around $700 to $2500 for a 3-hour tattoo session."

Some people spend up to $10,000/pa on their tatts. :unsure:

Australians spent $93 million on tattoos just in 2012, when the industry was just starting off.

The industry has been growing at 3.2% annually, so it's not unreasonable to claim around $132 million was spent in 2023.
That's about $400 pp but no final figures are available for confirmation.

A permanent tattoo cannot heal your personality defect, & it won't get back your youth for you.
It just relieves you of your excess money!

"Your honour, I submit that the reason these people are 'on hard times' is BECAUSE they spent their resources unwisely - nay, stupidly - in the first place."

"The Counsel for the defence is attempting to submit a straw argument.
"In attempting to defend the indefensible, she is resorting to unprovable situations in the majority of cases, at a time when evidence of the popularity of tattooing is glaring.
At ANY shopping centre the numbers to be counted speak strongly in favour of the prosecution."

Footnote:
23% of people regret their tattoos.
It is far more expensive to have tattoos removed, than to get them in the first place.
I rest my case!

And that's w/o going into Botox and bleaching of unmentionables!

Reactions: IAN3005
And you know, they may not have had them for very long before 'falling on hard times' too.

I am immune to name calling - it shows the person doing it is unable to carry their point of view very well & has not done their research.

Excluding the 3.2 million kids under 15yrs, that's around 3.6 million people of adult age who have tatttoos.

Is it possible 3.6 million people were not on hard times before they got their tatts?
I can think of a better way to spend between $3,000 and $15,000 than on a 'full sleeve' tattoo.

"... but you can expect to pay around $700 to $2500 for a 3-hour tattoo session."

Australians spent $93 million on tattoos just in 2012, when the industry was just starting off.

The industry has been growing at 3.2% annually, so it's not unreasonable to claim around $132 million was spent in 2023.

A permanent tattoo cannot heal your personality defect, & it won't get back your youth for you.

"Your honour, I submit that the reason these people are 'on hard times' is BECAUSE they spent their resources unwisely - nay, stupidly - in the first place."

"In attempting to defend the indefensible, she is resorting to unprovable situations in the majority of cases, at a time when evidence of the popularity of tattooing is glaring.
At ANY shopping centre the numbers to be counted speak strongly in favour of the prosecution."

Footnote:
It is far more expensive to have tattoos removed, than to get them in the first place.
I rest my case!

I’m lost so what do you mean by bleaching of unmentionables please explain cos I must be thick🙀

The bad error of judgment.....never thinking of the consequences....

I’m lost so what do you mean by bleaching of unmentionables please explain cos I must be thick🙀
1. Think of areas of the body most people would not want to look (male and female) where the sun doesn't (or shouldn't) shine.
2. Use the words "genito-perineal whitening" in your search.
(Read all items generated by Google)
3. Not going to say anything more - I'm in enough trouble talking about it as it is!!
:rolleyes: 😂

1. Think of areas of the body most people would not want to look (male and female) where the sun doesn't (or shouldn't) shine.
2. Use the words "genito-perineal whitening" in your search.
(Read all items generated by Google)
3. Not going to say anything more - I'm in enough trouble talking about it as it is!!
:rolleyes: 😂
Eeeeew really 🙀🤢
I think I’ll pass looking it up I’ll take your word for it plus haven’t had my brekky yet.🤣

Eeeeew really 🙀🤢
I think I’ll pass looking it up I’ll take your word for it plus haven’t had my brekky yet.🤣
Never too old to learn ... I found this out by accident.
You are wise to ignore the topic - once you learn about it, you can't unknow it.
Once you see it, you can't unsee it.
And before anyone asks - 'no' I haven't seen a bleached 'anything.'
And have no wish to.
😂 😂 :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Littleboy8
Never too old to learn ... I found this out by accident.
You are wise to ignore the topic - once you learn about it, you can't unknow it.
Once you see it, you can't unsee it.
And before anyone asks - 'no' I haven't seen a bleached 'anything.'
And have no wish to.
😂 😂 :ROFLMAO:
🤣🤣👍

• Haha

Footnote:
I rest my case!

For someone who is apparently not offended by being called judgy, you certainly went to an awful lot of trouble. Plenty of information to discredit a comment designed to try to provide a balanced view of those in society who clearly don't have your big brain. Good job belittling those of apparent lesser standing than you.