Aussies reveal their shocking Milo habits – How much is too much for you?

Milo, the beloved chocolate malt powder, has been a comforting presence in many Australian homes for generations. It's more than just a drink; it's a cultural icon that evokes nostalgia and a sense of home for Aussies everywhere. Whether it's the familiar green tin or the distinctive taste that takes you back to your childhood, Milo holds a special place in the hearts of Australians.

But when it comes to preparing the perfect cup, opinions vary wildly. The official recommendation from the brand suggests a modest three-heaped teaspoons per glass of milk, hot or cold. However, this guideline is often tossed aside in favor of personal preference, leading to some surprising Milo concoctions.

Queensland swimwear designer Karina Irby recently stunned the internet with her Milo-making method, which involves a whopping seven-and-a-half generous scoops of the powder. Her video, which has garnered over 120,000 views, showcases a process that's both meticulous and indulgent. From creating a Milo paste with a 'little pinch' of hot water to layering the drink with 'crunchies' for texture, Karina's technique is a testament to the creativity and passion that Australians bring to their Milo experience.

1718860787508.png
Karina Irby demonstrated her unique method of preparing a Milo drink using seven-and-a-half scoops of the powder. Credit: @karinairby / Instagram

Karina's approach is not without controversy, though. Some viewers balked at the idea of adding water to Milo, while others couldn't fathom the need for such an excessive amount of powder. And then there are those who, believe it or not, don't care for Milo at all. But for every naysayer, there are countless others who cheered on Karina's method, declaring that there's no such thing as too much Milo.

This debate raises the question: How much Milo is too much? Is there a point where the beloved malt powder can overwhelm the milk, or is the limit simply a matter of personal taste? For many Aussies, the joy of Milo is in the customization. Some prefer a light dusting on top of a hot cup of milk, while others go for a dense, almost chewy concoction that can be eaten with a spoon.

Beyond personal preference, there's also the matter of nostalgia. For those who grew up with Milo, the way it's prepared can be deeply tied to childhood memories. Perhaps it was a parent or grandparent who made it a certain way, or maybe it was a self-discovered recipe during after-school snack times. These personal histories contribute to the wide array of Milo rituals found across Australia.

Karina's video is a reminder that, in Australia, Milo is more than just a beverage—it's an experience. Whether you're a minimalist or an enthusiast like Karina, the way you enjoy Milo is a reflection of your own story. So, we ask our readers: How do you like your Milo? Are you a stickler for the three-scoop rule, or do you have your own special twist? Share your Milo memories and methods with us, and let's celebrate the diversity of this Aussie classic.

Key Takeaways
  • Queensland swimwear designer Karina Irby has showcased her unusual way of making a Milo drink with seven-and-a-half scoops of the powder, significantly more than the recommended three-heaped teaspoons.
  • Karina's method includes creating a paste with a small amount of water and Milo, adding cold milk, then using a handheld milk frother for blending.
  • She also adds extra dry Milo to the bottom and top of the glass for a crunchy texture, which she refers to as 'crunchies,' a common Australian preference when consuming Milo.
  • The video of her Milo-making process went viral, receiving over 120,000 views and sparking mixed reactions from social media users. Some praised her approach while others questioned the excessive amount or the use of water.
And for those who haven't had Milo in a while, perhaps it's time to revisit this childhood favorite. Whether you're shaking from excitement like Karina or simply looking for a cozy drink to enjoy, Milo is waiting to be rediscovered in all its chocolatey, malty glory.

Reactions: Ezzy and Littleboy8
Sponsored
I always have Milo on hand, hubby likes to add it to his coco pops, grandkids like to put about 5/6 teaspoons on top of cold milk, stir it, then eat the crunchy bits off the top before drinking it. I used to do the same as a kid. I still enjoy a drink now and again, in hot or cold milk. It is a comfort food.

Reactions: Littleboy8
I always have Milo on hand, hubby likes to add it to his coco pops, grandkids like to put about 5/6 teaspoons on top of cold milk, stir it, then eat the crunchy bits off the top before drinking it. I used to do the same as a kid. I still enjoy a drink now and again, in hot or cold milk. It is a comfort food.
I have to admit I went through a 1kilo tin in a month because I had to put on weight I lost when I had shingles. Worked a treat but I wouldn’t eat that much again it was a quick fix.👍

Always dissolved the Milo in boiling water, before adding milk for my kids. Haven't purchased it since they left home, the Grandkids don't like it.