Aussies Outraged: The Shocking Price of a Sausage Sizzle at Vivid Sydney Will Leave You Speechless!

The humble sausage sizzle is a staple at many Australian community events, often serving as a nostalgic reminder of simpler times and a quick, tasty snack that won't break the bank. Or at least, that's what it used to be. Fans of Vivid Sydney, the annual festival of light, music, and ideas, were left in disbelief when they discovered the price of this iconic Aussie treat had soared to new heights at the event.

A Reddit user shared their dismay online, posting a photo of a vendor's sign at Vivid Sydney advertising the sausage sizzle for a whopping $8.50. This price point is a far cry from the beloved $3.50 sausage sizzle that Australians have come to expect from their local Bunnings warehouse on a weekend.

compressed-sausage sizzle.jpeg
A social media user expressed their dismay at the prices of sausage sizzles in Vivid Sydney. Image Credit: Reddit/Awkward_Chard_5025

The Reddit post sparked a heated debate, with many Aussies expressing their outrage over what they deemed an 'unAustralian' price hike. 'That's just unAustralian,' one commenter exclaimed, echoing the sentiments of many who felt that the essence of the sausage sizzle was being compromised by commercial greed.

Another user pointed out the affordability of making a sausage sizzle at home, stating, 'For that price, you can buy sausages, bread, and sauce yourself and have multiple sausage sandwiches.' This sentiment was shared by others who felt that almost tripling the price compared to Bunnings was simply unjustifiable.

However, not everyone was quick to condemn the vendor. Some commenters suggested that the steep price could be attributed to the high overhead costs associated with running a food stall at such a major event. 'If OP wants to get floored by a dollar amount, just ask the vendor his weekly rent the city is charging him to park his sausage shack there,' one person offered, hinting at the potential financial pressures faced by vendors.

The discussion also turned to the role of the government in the pricing of food at Vivid Sydney, with some questioning why a government-run event would impose such high costs on food trucks, ultimately leading to inflated prices for consumers. 'Vivid is a government-run event now, why are they charging such exorbitant costs to food trucks for this event?' one commenter asked, prompting others to consider the broader implications of event pricing strategies.

Amidst the backlash, there were those who took a more pragmatic view, acknowledging that event-goers are often willing to pay a premium for the convenience and experience of dining at a festival. 'It's a captive audience. I don't know what you expected,' one commenter noted, while another added, 'This is the cheapest meal I’ve seen in all of Vivid! Did you walk around?'

Quality also came into play, with some willing to fork out more for a superior sausage sizzle. 'Depends. If it’s a crappy sausage and a slice of white bread like Bunnings, then I’m with you,' one person wrote. 'But if it’s a decent sausage on a decent bun, then it’s worth it.'

The debate over the price of a sausage sizzle at Vivid Sydney raises important questions about the value we place on tradition versus the reality of modern-day costs and expectations. While some may argue that the price is a reflection of the times, others feel that it's a step too far from the community spirit that the sausage sizzle is meant to represent.

As we navigate the changing landscape of Australian culture and commerce, it's clear that the sausage sizzle has become more than just a snack—it's a symbol of the values we hold dear. Whether or not we're willing to pay $8.50 for it, however, is a matter of personal choice and perhaps, a reflection of how much we're willing to adapt to the evolving world around us.

Key Takeaways

• Vivid Sydney attendees are shocked at the high price of sausage sizzles being sold at the event, with one vendor charging $8.50.
  • The sausage sizzle at Vivid Sydney is nearly triple the price of the iconic $3.50 sausage sizzle at Bunnings warehouse, a popular Australian hardware chain.
  • Social media users have criticised the price as 'unAustralian' and out of touch with the costs of ingredients, while some consider it understandable due to potential overhead costs for vendors.
  • Opinions are mixed, with some event-goers being willing to pay a premium for higher quality food, while others are outraged and suggest that government-run events like Vivid should not impose such excessive costs on food vendors.

So, dear members of the Seniors Discount Club, we'd love to hear your thoughts on this sizzling topic. Have you encountered similar price hikes at community events? Do you think the cost is justified, or is it an affront to Aussie tradition? Share your experiences and opinions in the comments below, and let's keep the conversation going!

Sponsored
We spent a rather large amount of money to come to Vivid (group of 10) - Ubers, accommodation. Cruise with dinner, drinks etc etc only to find when we arrived - there was NO VIVID. Cancelled the walk, botanic gardens at 5 pm. Lucky we thought, we are on a cruise so will go to The Quay. Nothing no lights, not anything. There were many others in the same situation. Unable to get refunds at that late stage. There were no crowds though. I believe quite a few at Darling Harbour. It was raining but I bet the rain won’t cancel it on the final night. Not coming back

I think people at things like the sausage sizzle and other foods at function's are just simply being exploited by the venue holder,,that is really a very unfair price,,,I love sausages in bread with onion and barbeque sauce but would never buy one at that price..it seriously is ridiculous

Thank goodness for a Bunnings sausage sizzle @ $3.50. Everything is donated by Bunnings including the space, BBQ, gas & shelter.

Surely the people who own the Vivid Sydney could have donated the space for this & other store holders. This is supposed to be a charity event isn't it?

Thank goodness for a Bunnings sausage sizzle @ $3.50. Everything is donated by Bunnings including the space, BBQ, gas & shelter.

Surely the people who own the Vivid Sydney could have donated the space for this & other store holders. This is supposed to be a charity event isn't it?
know this is nothing to do with the subject. But went to get some celery to put in a stew. My god look at the price. Only needed 0ne stalk but had to buy more, cost $4.00 no way was I going to buy this.

Reactions: Ezzy
We spent a rather large amount of money to come to Vivid (group of 10) - Ubers, accommodation. Cruise with dinner, drinks etc etc only to find when we arrived - there was NO VIVID. Cancelled the walk, botanic gardens at 5 pm. Lucky we thought, we are on a cruise so will go to The Quay. Nothing no lights, not anything. There were many others in the same situation. Unable to get refunds at that late stage. There were no crowds though. I believe quite a few at Darling Harbour. It was raining but I bet the rain won’t cancel it on the final night. Not coming back
Was that this year that it happened ? They have had huge crowds every night and huge light displays including drones.

Reactions: Tervueren
I remember when a sausage sizzle at Bunnings used to be $2 and when it went up to $3.50 I thought that was a little rich for a sausage and a bit of onion in bread. No way I would be paying $8.50 for it, even if it is in Sydney! I'm not a stingy person by any means but that price is ludercrous when you can buy a tray of 8 sausages, a loaf of bread, onions and a bottle of sauce for under $15 and that gives you 8 rounds of sausage, onion & sauce in bread. At my age I always try to get more for my money as much as I can.

I think people at things like the sausage sizzle and other foods at function's are just simply being exploited by the venue holder,,that is really a very unfair price,,,I love sausages in bread with onion and barbeque sauce but would never buy one at that price..it seriously is ridiculous
I will stick to making my own sausage sizzle. $8.50 - rip off or what!