Aussies discover Kmart items priced higher in other shops—learn why you overpay

Op shops, often called charity shops, have long been treasure troves for bargain hunters and thrifty shoppers across Australia.

They're the places where you can find hidden finds, pre-loved fashion, and contribute to a good cause all at once.

However, a recent discovery by an Australian shopper has sparked a heated debate about these institutions' pricing strategies.

Lachlan, an Aussie bargain hunter, was taken aback when he stumbled upon a black Anko t-shirt at a Vinnies store priced at $6, which exceeds the original Kmart price of $4.50.

A dollar fifty more than if you bought it new,' he remarked.

This incident has raised eyebrows and prompted shoppers to question whether op shops are still the bastions of affordability they once were.

1721360774274.png
Australian shoppers found a Vinnies t-shirt priced higher than at Kmart. Credit: @lachlancrane / TikTok and Shutterstock

The St Vincent de Paul Society NSW, which operates Vinnies shops, responded to the controversy by explaining their pricing approach.

'Pricing in Vinnies Shops is determined by affordability for customers as well as the quality of the goods on sale,' a spokesperson said.

‘Our shops use a simple pricing guide based on research on value in the general second-hand marketplace and the quality of the garment.’

While they strive for accuracy, they admit that sometimes they 'might not get it right.'

‘There are times when we mistakenly price one item, but this gets rectified quickly. There are always plenty of other options for our customers to choose from in our stores,’ they continued.

The social media backlash was swift, with Lachlan's video about the overpriced t-shirt attracting many angry comments.

Many expressed frustration at feeling overcharged, especially by a charity claiming to offer affordable options.

‘I have purposely stopped donating to charities like Vinnies and the Salvos,’ one said.

‘I've approached workers at the op shops and told them that they are pricing things more expensive than brand new. I was actually asked to leave the shop,’ another person added.

‘Vinnies has been the biggest joke for ages,’ a third shared.

Despite the uproar, voices were defending the charity's pricing policy.

Volunteers from Vinnies pointed out that profits from the shops support the charity's work, and pricing can vary depending on the store and management.

‘When will people realise Vinnies use the profits from these shops to do the charity work it’s pretty simple,’ one replied.

One volunteer mentioned that at their store, Kmart (Anko) branded items are priced as low as $1 or 50c, indicating that not all Vinnies shops follow the same pricing model.

The issue of op shop pricing is not isolated to this one incident. Across Australia, reports of seemingly inflated prices at various charity stores have been reported.

From $28 jeans to a $350 T-shirt, customers notice a trend suggesting that op shops are no longer the bargain spots they used to be.

Dr Andrew Hughes from the Australian National University weighed in on the matter.

‘I think they're taking advantage of people, to be honest, when they’re getting a lot of their stock for no cost or very little cost because people donate to charity bins or leave items out or give directly into their stores,’ he explained.

‘But what I've noticed changing with charity operations is that they’re doing a lot more retail marketing and benchmarking to their competitors – which aren’t other charity shops, they’re Kmart, Target, Big W and Best and Less.’

‘They’ve realised an item's value and are charging open market prices, not prices which might be more reflective of the fact that some of their customers might be people in desperate need and can’t afford to pay that price.’

In related news, a mother of six has criticised secondhand stores for raising their prices.

She shared her experience on social media, pointing out how she and others are struggling to afford items in op shops, which should support the community amid the current cost-of-living crisis. For more details, click here.
Key Takeaways
  • An Australian shopper was surprised to find a t-shirt at a Vinnies op shop that was priced higher than the original Kmart price.
  • St Vincent de Paul Society NSW explained that their pricing is determined by quality and the second-hand market value.
  • Some customers expressed frustration over what they perceive as inflated second-hand prices at charity stores.
  • Profits from Vinnies stores support services for people in need, and some defended the pricing as a means of funding charity work.
Have you encountered similar pricing issues at your local op shops? Do you have tips for fellow shoppers on how to spot the best deals? Share your stories and advice in the comments below.

Sponsored
I used to shop at Vinnie's and other second hand shops cause that's what I could afford to dress my large family. Last one I went into about 20 years ago, I walked out of because the price was not affordable. I'm only on a pension too and the pricing was ridiculous