Aussies could be owed a share of $1.5 billion in 'lost' money – here's how to claim it!

When you receive unexpected emails, calls, or comments that seem too good to be true, it's important to be cautious because they can often turn out to be scams.

However, being overly cautious may also cause you to overlook unclaimed money that actually belongs to you.

Did you know that there is a significant amount of unclaimed funds, totalling $1.5 billion, currently being held by the Australian government? These funds are patiently waiting for their rightful owners to claim them.

These lost funds often originate from dormant bank accounts, shares, investments, life insurance policies, and other forgotten assets. Money can become 'lost' when you move house, accidentally leave an account dormant for too long, or forget to update your details with a financial institution or company.

Screen Shot 2023-06-14 at 9.35.29 AM.png
There is $1.5 billion in unclaimed money being held by the government, and it is free and simple to get back. Credit: Unsplash/Melissa Walker Horn.

So, what's the process of retrieving your potentially lost fortune? Thankfully, it's free and straightforward.

To start, head over to the official MoneySmart website and navigate to the 'Find unclaimed money' page. Simply enter your name or Original Transaction Number (OTN) if you still have it into the search box and click 'Search'. Any unclaimed money under your name or OTN should pop up.

If nothing comes up, don't lose hope just yet—there are other ways to find potentially lost money.

For example, you can search for lost superannuation through the ATO or use state government services to find unclaimed money from deceased estates, share dividends, salaries and wages, cheques, trust money, over-payments, proceeds of the sale, and more.

Here are some ways you can stop your money from becoming unclaimed_.jpg

Social media personality Canna Campbell has urged her followers to search for and claim their lost money via the MoneySmart website. She even shared a video explaining how to do it, but some viewers admitted that they were sceptical about the legitimacy of the email notifications they received.

'I deleted the email [because I] thought it sounded like a scam,' one user shared.

'Genuinely thought it was a scam [so I didn't] click links. Why'd the email look so scammy? That didn't calm my scam senses,' another said.

While it's natural to have reservations, it's essential to verify which messages are indeed legitimate and which ones should be disregarded. In this case, it turns out the notification was legit, and many Australians have successfully reclaimed their lost funds—one user even recovered a shocking $634!

Key Takeaways

• There is $1.5 billion in unclaimed money being held by the Australian government, and it is free and simple to get back through the official MoneySmart website.
  • Many Australians initially thought the email notifications about claiming their lost money were a scam and were hesitant to click the links.
  • The lost money is often found in dormant bank accounts, shares, investments, and life insurance policies and can become lost due to outdated contact information.
  • Besides using the MoneySmart website, Australians can also search for lost superannuation through the ATO or use state government services to find money from deceased estates, share dividends, salaries and wages, cheques, trust money, over-payments, and proceeds of the sale.

As always, stay vigilant in protecting yourself from scams. To ensure the authenticity of text messages and emails you receive, it's crucial to conduct thorough research and perform checks on the senders.

If you encounter any suspicious activity or emails, make sure to report them to the authorities. Additionally, you can stay updated on the latest scams targeting Australians by visiting the Scam Watch forum on the SDC website.

What are your thoughts on this news, everyone? Will you be checking for any unclaimed money? Share your thoughts in the comments section below!

Sponsored
When you receive unexpected emails, calls, or comments that seem too good to be true, it's important to be cautious because they can often turn out to be scams.

However, being overly cautious may also cause you to overlook unclaimed money that actually belongs to you.

Did you know that there is a significant amount of unclaimed funds, totalling $1.5 billion, currently being held by the Australian government? These funds are patiently waiting for their rightful owners to claim them.

These lost funds often originate from dormant bank accounts, shares, investments, life insurance policies, and other forgotten assets. Money can become 'lost' when you move house, accidentally leave an account dormant for too long, or forget to update your details with a financial institution or company.

View attachment 22257
There is $1.5 billion in unclaimed money being held by the government, and it is free and simple to get back. Credit: Unsplash/Melissa Walker Horn.

So, what's the process of retrieving your potentially lost fortune? Thankfully, it's free and straightforward.

To start, head over to the official MoneySmart website and navigate to the 'Find unclaimed money' page. Simply enter your name or Original Transaction Number (OTN) if you still have it into the search box and click 'Search'. Any unclaimed money under your name or OTN should pop up.

If nothing comes up, don't lose hope just yet—there are other ways to find potentially lost money.

For example, you can search for lost superannuation through the ATO or use state government services to find unclaimed money from deceased estates, share dividends, salaries and wages, cheques, trust money, over-payments, proceeds of the sale, and more.

Social media personality Canna Campbell has urged her followers to search for and claim their lost money via the MoneySmart website. She even shared a video explaining how to do it, but some viewers admitted that they were sceptical about the legitimacy of the email notifications they received.

'I deleted the email [because I] thought it sounded like a scam,' one user shared.

'Genuinely thought it was a scam [so I didn't] click links. Why'd the email look so scammy? That didn't calm my scam senses,' another said.

While it's natural to have reservations, it's essential to verify which messages are indeed legitimate and which ones should be disregarded. In this case, it turns out the notification was legit, and many Australians have successfully reclaimed their lost funds—one user even recovered a shocking $634!

Key Takeaways

• There is $1.5 billion in unclaimed money being held by the Australian government, and it is free and simple to get back through the official MoneySmart website.
  • Many Australians initially thought the email notifications about claiming their lost money were a scam and were hesitant to click the links.
  • The lost money is often found in dormant bank accounts, shares, investments, and life insurance policies and can become lost due to outdated contact information.
  • Besides using the MoneySmart website, Australians can also search for lost superannuation through the ATO or use state government services to find money from deceased estates, share dividends, salaries and wages, cheques, trust money, over-payments, and proceeds of the sale.

As always, stay vigilant in protecting yourself from scams. To ensure the authenticity of text messages and emails you receive, it's crucial to conduct thorough research and perform checks on the senders.

If you encounter any suspicious activity or emails, make sure to report them to the authorities. Additionally, you can stay updated on the latest scams targeting Australians by visiting the Scam Watch forum on the SDC website.

What are your thoughts on this news, everyone? Will you be checking for any unclaimed money? Share your thoughts in the comments section below!

I have found since joining SDC, the biggest scammer is SDC full of crappy google ads enticing people to buy junk online. AS if seniors are that stupid not being able to find something they may need online or ask a friend to assist. Talking about my gov scams which are not even in this newsletter. Just do not click on anything, do your own reseacrh

I have found since joining SDC, the biggest scammer is SDC full of crappy google ads enticing people to buy junk online. AS if seniors are that stupid not being able to find something they may need online or ask a friend to assist. Talking about my gov scams which are not even in this newsletter. Just do not click on anything, do your own reseacrh
If you don't like the site - not sure why u would be participating? Some, perhaps many may look forward to this site daily as i do - there are ads everywhere these days, hope you get to enjoy it more!

Last edited:
I would suggest that with that attitude SDC is not the site for you. Those so called "crappy google ads" are what entitles us to have a fee free daily newsletter. Those lovely people at SDC need to get paid for their time and effort on our behalf and the inclusion of the ads means they can generate some much needed revenue. No-one is forcing you to click on the ads or purchase from them or even notice their inclusion.

One area that has been overlooked is "Tattslotto." I worked there for ten fantastic years from the beginning Jun 1972 to 1982. We all were given to believe that any prize not claimed in a certain time was given over to consolidated revenue. At the beginning when we hand-scanned every coupon with a matrix, there were dozens of entries with missing numbers the customers forgot to cross as their numbers also. Thought I would mention that also.

Reactions: Ricci
One area that has been overlooked is "Tattslotto." I worked there for ten fantastic years from the beginning Jun 1972 to 1982. We all were given to believe that any prize not claimed in a certain time was given over to consolidated revenue. At the beginning when we hand-scanned every coupon with a matrix, there were dozens of entries with missing numbers the customers forgot to cross as their numbers also. Thought I would mention that also.

View attachment 22257

Key Takeaways

I attempted to search for whether any of the "Lost Money" was mine. I followed instructions and inserted a lot of information that I wish I hadn't and in the end I was given options as to how much I wanted to PAY for the FREE information. I didn't give any more personal details and left the site. Please check this. Anyhow it got right away from the "Find unclaimed money" which I was looking for.