Aussies complain about fuel price hikes, debate whether to go carless

An Aussie driver has taken to Reddit to report the increasing fuel prices in Perth.

The driver, who goes by the username @spoony20, claimed that the fuel price jumped 10% overnight, saying that we might be expecting worse in the coming days.

He wrote: "Already over $2.00 in Perth for 91."

AhzFqZPcWQ2tToAsFz2LV-GZBhOUx5ZyP73bBmFdhtjOFGHslz2TTSs8eE1HEjzmiNTZQ078SYQYdmwL_7kCTlriZKHhAD5CbHjfMaAPut4z8A2FQRj9EkjTO9rqZooq8Jt_Osw

Aussies are starting to complain about fuel price hikes. Credit: ABC News/Che Chorley.

The motorist then asked other Australian Reddit users how much fuel prices have jumped in their area.

One person shared: "100 bucks to fill a small sports wagon. Aren't things just wonderful?"

While this particular Redditor didn’t disclose their specific whereabouts, others shared the fuel prices in their respective locations.

One user reported: "Been 1.99 for 91 in Adelaide for a week now."

"It's $1.95 for 91 here in WS," another shared.

A third chimed in: "It's been $2 around some of the places around Sydney for a week or so now."

Others reported the following prices:
  • Canberra: $2.16 per litre for 98
  • Melbourne (eastern suburbs): $1.69.9 - $2.04.9
  • Woolgoolga: $2.06.9 per litre of 98

A number of users shared their tips on how to score fuel at lower prices.

One person suggested: "Mate, get yourself a Costco membership and drive out to Majura Park to fill up - it really is worth it! 98 is currently $1.857 there."

"At 30 cents a litre difference, you only have to fill a 60-litre tank three times a year to pay for the membership."

Another suggested: "Using the 7/11 Fuel Lock, I've got U91 @ 167.9 locked in until Friday close of business. You'd better believe I'm going to fill up before that expires."

One user backed the claim, saying that they had tried the tip and it was indeed effective.

For more information on the 7/11 Fuel Lock deal and how you can access the service, please visit the My 7/11 website. Please note, however, that the promo is an app-exclusive deal so you might want to consider checking this article for installing applications on your phone.

You may also want to consider checking out this website that allows you to search for the nearest fuel stations that offer the cheapest petrol prices in your area.

Meanwhile, others said that they would rather go carless as the "benefits of owning a car outweigh the costs".

One person wrote: "I've never owned a car and I don't regret it."

"So, I have to wake up a bit earlier to catch a bus somewhere? Or I ride my bicycle to a friend's house? If I need a car, you can rent one short term quite cheaply."

Another added: "I'm seriously considering going carless. They are a rip off and a liability."

However, others called them out as not everyone has the option to go carless at their disposal due to poor public transport services.

One comment read: "Public transport in my town is not great (privately owned, does not take the card as payment and will only basically take you to the town centre and back), so having a car is very useful for me."

"Does anyone actually like having to have a car?" asked someone.

"If public transport were more available a lot fewer people would drive. Which would make things better for the few that did, a lot less traffic."

spgOlWfriQAn0bmeBjifQE3bA8X84fyWdB--zmr-PskAB3gzQlA603OzSIyEUCD7llMjG2DG9vPFJuIxIIoGzF5qCC_-rmjKx8rzoyNOAhm7Y2-P3yx9yUIq0QNtB_CYDvSlSrs

A number of people suggest going carless as fuel prices continue to rise, but others rightly pointed out that not everyone has the luxury to do so. Credit: NCA NewsWire / Gaye Gerard.

Elsewhere in the thread, others claimed that electric car distributors might take advantage of this hike, promoting the use of eco-friendly vehicles despite the fact that the cars sell at high prices.

One person complained: "I can hear it now 'just buy an electric car!'"

"Electric cars are nowhere near cheap enough for those on minimum wage to afford (or those trying to save for a house, paying exorbitant rent, single parents, students, apprentices, essential workers etc)."

Another asked: "How good are electric cars though hey? (If only there were more affordable models available…)."

One person explained the benefits of owning an electric car for those who can afford them.

"It's not just electric cars. The older the car the less fuel-efficient. Most on higher incomes have newer more efficient cars," he wrote.

"Having said that, those who do earn enough for a new car or a lease should be buying electric. Not just cheaper to run, but cheaper to service and will certainly maintain their value better so lower depreciation."

More information on petrol price hikes can be found in this video:

Credit: YouTube/9 News Australia

What are your thoughts on this? Is it time to seek carless alternatives — such as commuting — when travelling?

Sponsored