Aussies claim 100,000 free zoo tickets in 24 hours, ignites debate over timing

The excitement was palpable among West Australians as over 100,000 free tickets to Perth Zoo were snapped up in 24 hours, sparking a wave of enthusiasm and a touch of controversy.

As the Premier faced questions over the timing of this generous offer, he firmly denied that the free entry scheme was a pre-election sweetener, instead framing it as much-needed cost-of-living relief for families.

In a world where the cost of living seems perpetually on the rise, the Government's announcement on Sunday was a breath of fresh air.

Through the ServiceWA app, locals could apply for up to four free tickets to enjoy the zoo during the vibrant Spring season.

Late on Monday, 9 September, the government confirmed that it had received 25,000 applications, which translated to over 100,000 tickets.

1726022579748.png
Over 100,000 free Perth Zoo tickets were claimed within 24 hours after the government cost of living relief announcement. Credit: Shutterstock

But this initiative, according to Mr Cook, was about more than just easing financial burdens.

‘An opportunity to take your family to the zoo might be one of the first things that you don’t do because your family budget is under pressure,’ he said.

‘We think it’s an important gesture, not only for people’s cost of living but also for their wellbeing, and you’ve seen the extraordinary response by people taking up the opportunities through the service wa app, just how popular it is.’

‘We are looking at all aspects of government to see what we can do as a government to help Western Australians with the cost of living burden.’

The gesture was seen as a dual benefit, offering financial relief and a boost to mental health, as evidenced by the extraordinary uptake of tickets through the ServiceWA app.

The Government's approach is holistic. It examines all aspects of governance to find ways to alleviate the cost-of-living pressures Western Australians face.

This zoo ticket giveaway is just one example of their broader strategy to support the community.

However, only some were convinced by the timing and the intent behind the free zoo tickets.

Liberal leader Libby Mettam criticised the scheme as being too little and too late.

‘It’s an 11th-hour approach to what has been a real struggle for families for some time under a government that has enjoyed the largest boom in the state’s history,’ she pointed out.

‘Fees and charges are up over $1000 while this government have pocketed multi-billion dollar royalties thanks to the mining boom and a GST fix delivered by a Coalition Government.’
Key Takeaways
  • Over 100,000 free tickets to Perth Zoo have been claimed within 24 hours after the Government's announcement aimed at providing cost of living relief.
  • The scheme allows West Australians to apply for up to four free tickets via the ServiceWA app for use during Spring.
  • Premier denied the act was a pre-election sweetener, instead insisting it was for the cost of living relief and public wellbeing.
  • The Liberal leader criticised the timing of the scheme, suggesting the government's response was too late, and families had already been under financial strain.
Have you taken advantage of any cost-of-living relief programs or free community offerings recently? How have they impacted your life and well-being? Share your experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored
Some people will criticise as some people are never happy about anything
IMO it is a good gesture,many families are struggling and a trip to the zoo would be something they just could not afford for their children.
I hope they all have a wonderful day.
It is a good gesture. I only mention that I don’t go anymore so someone else could use my tickets, even if I’d known. 😀

Reactions: BeautifulMousey
Some people will criticise as some people are never happy about anything
IMO it is a good gesture,many families are struggling and a trip to the zoo would be something they just could not afford for their children.
I hope they all have a wonderful day.
I don't care if it's a political move or not, every family should experience the zoo together. Bravo.

Whilst this is a pleasant gesture, (and I agree that a visit to the zoo on a nice day makes for a great but expensive day out for a family) and to be given free tickets for the zoo will benefit anyone who gets one…..just remember….. our own tax money disguised as a freebie….

Reactions: BeautifulMousey
I live in Perth but knew nothing about it until reading the above article.

Whilst this is a pleasant gesture, (and I agree that a visit to the zoo on a nice day makes for a great but expensive day out for a family) and to be given free tickets for the zoo will benefit anyone who gets one…..just remember….. our own tax money disguised as a freebie….
But rarely has our tax $ provided so much joy to so many children. My young adult grandchildren took their mother and me to the zoo for Mother's Day. What a great day that was for 5 adults of 3 generations.

But rarely has our tax $ provided so much joy to so many children. My young adult grandchildren took their mother and me to the zoo for Mother's Day. What a great day that was for 5 adults of 3 generations.
And that’s very true…I have no doubt that a visit to the zoo is very enjoyable and an exciting day out for everyone, and what a treat it is for a special occasion………. I was just saying….. :giggle: