Aussies are sharing their creative DIY Christmas trees - we hope these inspire you to make your own!

We don't know about you, but here at the Seniors Discount Club, we absolutely love Christmas time. It's a chance to catch up with family and friends, enjoy lots of delicious food, and, of course - exchange gifts!

But perhaps one of the best things about Christmas (aside from the food) is decorating the tree. Whether it's a store-bought tree, a real tree or a DIY one, there's something special and nostalgic about putting up your favourite decorations.

Screen Shot 2022-12-05 at 12.56.42 PM.png
Aussies are sharing their creative Christmas tree ideas for this year! Credit: Pexels/Element5 Digital.

If you're someone who likes to put up a different kind of tree each year (or if you're just looking for some inspiration), then we've got some good news for you - Kmart shoppers are getting very creative with their trees this holiday season!

From making film-inspired Star Wars or The Nightmare Before Christmas trees to using baubles in place of an entire fake tree - people are thinking outside the box and coming up with some pretty incredible creations. And they're surprisingly budget-friendly as well!

Here are some of our favourites...

Screen Shot 2022-12-05 at 12.53.07 PM.png
One mum made a topiary Christmas tree from Kmart baubles. Credit: Facebook.

There's nothing more unique than a topiary tree! One Kmart shopper made her own version of it using Kmart's extra-large baubles, which are available for $26 a pack.

'Christmas topiary tree made from the huge baubles from Kmart. Easy and fun to make,' she wrote in her social media post.

The shopper stacked four of the large baubles together and secured them with a dowel in the middle before decorating the entire piece with small baubles and some greenery. In a follow-up comment, she explained the construction process in more detail.

'The tutorials I watched said to drill holes, but I ended up melting a little hole with my hot glue gun, then carefully gouging it out with a knife. Worked a treat, and no cracks at all. I would have drilled it, but you need two people to hold it, and I was too impatient,' she explained.

This version is certainly much more creative than the standard fake tree that most of us are used to seeing! If you have little to no experience making these, you might have to experiment with a few different techniques to see which one works best for you.

For those of you who are looking to make this craft, we also recommend checking out this video below:

Credit: Tashdesigns.

Meanwhile, this mum decided to take DIY Christmas trees to a whole new level.

She shared her homemade Star Wars tree, made out of a black tree, a Darth Vader head, and a black cape. The middle of the tree is decorated with a red lightsaber, and it is surrounded by black, silver and red baubles.

'House full of boys, we went a little different this year,' the mum wrote on her Facebook post. 'Costume and most decorations from Kmart and a few Star Wars decorations from BIG W.'

Screen Shot 2022-12-05 at 12.53.16 PM.png
Another mum went for a movie-themed Christmas tree - using their love for Star Wars as an inspiration. Credit: Facebook.

Several fellow Star Wars fans went crazy over this unique idea, with one of them saying that her husband would love this tree as much as they do. 'Oh my gosh, I would love this, too. My husband and I are huge Star Wars fans,' she commented.

Another mum, who also has a little boy who is obsessed with the movies, agreed and added, 'I can't wait to show him this when he wakes up in the morning. He's going to have his mind blown.'

If you think that movie-inspired trees are only for kids, think again! Many adults also enjoy watching these films, and many of them also enjoy their special holiday trees that are themed around these films as well.

Screen Shot 2022-12-05 at 12.53.22 PM.png
This Nightmare-themed Christmas tree is more cute than scary! Credit: Facebook.

Another mum followed suit by showing off her amazing Nightmare Before Christmas tree, styled after the film. The tree was decorated with an assortment of Halloween Town ornaments and an orange ribbon and was topped with Jack Skellington's head wearing a Santa cap. So cute!

'Most items are from Kmart and BIG W, but I have also made some myself, so I hope you all enjoy just as much as my kids do,' said the mum. We're pretty sure her kids (and a lot of other people's kids, too) are loving it.

We don't know about you, but we're feeling pretty inspired by all of these creative ideas! If you're not feeling too crafty this year but are still looking for some unique tree inspiration, you can always check out some of the incredible pre-lit artificial trees that are available online.

We've also talked about a few other DIY Christmas tree ideas in past posts, so feel free to check them out here in these links:
Just remember - no matter how you choose to decorate your tree this year, the most important thing is to have fun and make some happy memories with your loved ones. Merry Christmas, everyone!

Sponsored
We don't know about you, but here at the Seniors Discount Club, we absolutely love Christmas time. It's a chance to catch up with family and friends, enjoy lots of delicious food, and, of course - exchange gifts!

But perhaps one of the best things about Christmas (aside from the food) is decorating the tree. Whether it's a store-bought tree, a real tree or a DIY one, there's something special and nostalgic about putting up your favourite decorations.

View attachment 9994
Aussies are sharing their creative Christmas tree ideas for this year! Credit: Pexels/Element5 Digital.

If you're someone who likes to put up a different kind of tree each year (or if you're just looking for some inspiration), then we've got some good news for you - Kmart shoppers are getting very creative with their trees this holiday season!

From making film-inspired Star Wars or The Nightmare Before Christmas trees to using baubles in place of an entire fake tree - people are thinking outside the box and coming up with some pretty incredible creations. And they're surprisingly budget-friendly as well!

Here are some of our favourites...

View attachment 9997
One mum made a topiary Christmas tree from Kmart baubles. Credit: Facebook.

There's nothing more unique than a topiary tree! One Kmart shopper made her own version of it using Kmart's extra-large baubles, which are available for $26 a pack.

'Christmas topiary tree made from the huge baubles from Kmart. Easy and fun to make,' she wrote in her social media post.

The shopper stacked four of the large baubles together and secured them with a dowel in the middle before decorating the entire piece with small baubles and some greenery. In a follow-up comment, she explained the construction process in more detail.

'The tutorials I watched said to drill holes, but I ended up melting a little hole with my hot glue gun, then carefully gouging it out with a knife. Worked a treat, and no cracks at all. I would have drilled it, but you need two people to hold it, and I was too impatient,' she explained.

This version is certainly much more creative than the standard fake tree that most of us are used to seeing! If you have little to no experience making these, you might have to experiment with a few different techniques to see which one works best for you.

For those of you who are looking to make this craft, we also recommend checking out this video below:

Credit: Tashdesigns.

Meanwhile, this mum decided to take DIY Christmas trees to a whole new level.

She shared her homemade Star Wars tree, made out of a black tree, a Darth Vader head, and a black cape. The middle of the tree is decorated with a red lightsaber, and it is surrounded by black, silver and red baubles.

'House full of boys, we went a little different this year,' the mum wrote on her Facebook post. 'Costume and most decorations from Kmart and a few Star Wars decorations from BIG W.'

View attachment 9996
Another mum went for a movie-themed Christmas tree - using their love for Star Wars as an inspiration. Credit: Facebook.

Several fellow Star Wars fans went crazy over this unique idea, with one of them saying that her husband would love this tree as much as they do. 'Oh my gosh, I would love this, too. My husband and I are huge Star Wars fans,' she commented.

Another mum, who also has a little boy who is obsessed with the movies, agreed and added, 'I can't wait to show him this when he wakes up in the morning. He's going to have his mind blown.'

If you think that movie-inspired trees are only for kids, think again! Many adults also enjoy watching these films, and many of them also enjoy their special holiday trees that are themed around these films as well.

View attachment 9995
This Nightmare-themed Christmas tree is more cute than scary! Credit: Facebook.

Another mum followed suit by showing off her amazing Nightmare Before Christmas tree, styled after the film. The tree was decorated with an assortment of Halloween Town ornaments and an orange ribbon and was topped with Jack Skellington's head wearing a Santa cap. So cute!

'Most items are from Kmart and BIG W, but I have also made some myself, so I hope you all enjoy just as much as my kids do,' said the mum. We're pretty sure her kids (and a lot of other people's kids, too) are loving it.

We don't know about you, but we're feeling pretty inspired by all of these creative ideas! If you're not feeling too crafty this year but are still looking for some unique tree inspiration, you can always check out some of the incredible pre-lit artificial trees that are available online.

We've also talked about a few other DIY Christmas tree ideas in past posts, so feel free to check them out here in these links:
Just remember - no matter how you choose to decorate your tree this year, the most important thing is to have fun and make some happy memories with your loved ones. Merry Christmas, everyone!

Nah! Not for me thanks, I still prefer the traditional tree and ornaments, not that I am putting one up this year. It doesn't seem worth it for just me spending Christmas by myself. :(

Reactions: Liz and RTS
Nah! Not for me thanks, I still prefer the traditional tree and ornaments, not that I am putting one up this year. It doesn't seem worth it for just me spending Christmas by myself. :(
I had exactly the same thought, but then it changed to "Am I not worth as much as others? If I can make the effort to put up a tree and lights for others, why not for me? So.... here I am, only a small tree but lots of lights, and stockings for all the pets I m looking after on Christmas Day (mind you, Im also working on Christmas Day, so that colleagues with families can stay home...)
Unfortunately I cant attach a photo as the file is too large, but you get my drift...

I love the topiary tree. Two would look great each side of your front door. However, I'm such a klutz it would cost a fortune in baubles as I'd be sure to crack them while trying to drill holes.

Reactions: Ricci
I don't know why, but my cats don't like Christmas trees, seems to freak them out. So I made a wall hanging of a tree, I get the Christmas spirit and it doesn't freak the cat.;)

• Haha
Reactions: Ricci