Aussies are getting tricked into becoming money mules with one simple text message

Here at the SDC, we always urge our members to be vigilant and on the lookout for scams of any kind, especially those targeting seniors.

As technology continues to accelerate, it gets harder and harder for many of us to keep up. But there is one thing you should never forget, and that is: Never trust anyone who approaches you with a promise of wealth, love, or both.

Unfortunately, this brings us to a new type of scam that is currently doing the rounds – romance scams.

As the Australian Federal Police (AFP) reports, Australians who 'thought they had found love' are being unwittingly conned into committing crimes. The AFP even warns that scam artists 'will pull on your heartstrings' for their own gains.

Screen Shot 2022-12-15 at 12.15.10 PM.png
Aussies who fall for these 'romance' schemes sometimes end up serving as 'money mules' for criminals. Credit: Pexels/Tracy Le Blanc.

What happens is that these con artists contact people online, usually via text message, and start up a relationship with them. Once the two become 'close', the criminal will then start asking for small amounts of money as 'gifts'.

But it goes a step further – these criminals will even 'gift' unsuspecting victims with money as an added measure to lure them even further into the relationship.

But the extra cash isn't just a great way to wine and dine the victims. Criminals are also using those 'gifted' funds to move money offshore via bank accounts that have been registered in their victims' names.

Sadly, those victims are not only unknowingly participating in reckless and dangerous criminal activity, but they're also facing life-changing consequences that can see them slapped with hefty fines or, in some cases, even sent to jail.

Screen Shot 2022-12-15 at 12.15.18 PM.png
Victims are led to believe that they are not being taken advantage of to keep them in the scam. Credit: AFP.

'Money mules need to understand that the funds they're moving are proceeds from serious criminal activities, such as drug sales, the black market firearms trade or cyber scams, and this money will be going to violent, transnational crime syndicates,' AFP Commander Cybercrime Operations Chris Goldsmid said.

Statistics from the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) show that 2021 alone saw over 3,400 reported dating and romance scams in Australia, which used 'love bombing' techniques to influence victims and make them do the scammers' bidding.

Take this story of a woman who lost $160,000 to a scammer she met on an online dating site, for example.

Police across the country have already made 21 arrests, as well as 2,469 arrests worldwide, for money mule-related crimes.

'Anyone can be a target, and they will use a range of extravagant excuses to pull on their victim's heartstrings,' Goldsmid said.
Key Takeaways

• Australians should take caution when venturing into online relationships as they may be unwittingly recruited as money mules by criminals who are trying to hide their tracks.
  • This crime is punishable by law with a maximum prison sentence of 25 years, and Australians should be aware of the consequences if caught.
  • The romance scam works by the criminals professing love and offering gifts and money to build trust between them and the victim.
  • When dealing with someone you've only met on the internet, it's important to be on the lookout for certain warning signs, such as when that person asks you to transfer their money or provide personal or financial information.
Members, no matter how much fun and exciting a new online relationship may seem, be wary of the promises given to you or the offers of money. It's better to be safe than sorry.

We encourage you to conduct a simple background check and an extensive internet search and keep an eye out for red flags if you ever have any reason to suspect that someone you met online is doing something strange or questionable.

‘Do an internet search with the name or photo of your love interest or some of the phrases they have used to try to identify if it is a scam,’ ACCC Deputy Chair Delia Rickard said.

Additionally, remember never to send money (no matter the amount!) or give personal or financial information to someone you've only met online. If you do, you risk being implicated in criminal activities with severe legal consequences.

Stay safe, everyone!
Tip
If you think you've been scammed, contact the ACCC via Report Cyber and the Australian Cyber Security Centre. And don't forget to notify your bank straight away. Please call 000 right away if you believe there is an urgent danger to your life or the life of another person.

Sponsored
It is bad enough to take people's money through scams but to also break their hearts is beyond low. We can only hope that the universe has something special planned for these low life scum.

Rule No 1: Always the head must rule the heart.
Rule No 2: As I don't have a heart, it is not possible for me to fall for this type of scam. No one who professes to love me would ask me for money.
Rule No 3: I don't have enough money to give any to someone else.

I do feel sorry for people who get so lonely that they are trapped into giving away what is theirs. I have been by myself since my ex-husband left in 1980 - 42 years alone as I had kids to raise and I kept them away from any danger. I am a born loner, and I don't do lonely. I like my own company - I get along very well with me as I "get" me.