Aussies are feeling the RISING costs of living: “We can’t afford anything anymore”

Previously, we wrote about a new study pertaining to the current cost of living in Australia, and it was revealed that the prices of some grocery items have increased an astounding 94 per cent just within the past year.

Meaning, Australians are paying a lot more just for their everyday groceries.

The surge in grocery prices is said to have come from the petrol price hikes that followed Russia’s war with Ukraine. Not to mention, the economy is still feeling the effects of staff shortages and supply issues from several weeks of lockdown caused by the pandemic.

Now that global prices and interest rates are on the move, more and more Aussie consumers are expressing concern that their pockets are burning much faster than ever before.

Like this one mum for example.

nwsrbUIg1qp-QNQy6vtsRNkUOwjijRmQgZNFJFGWLnkJjaT1R74nyqI5ERBnw9CUcPEFoMrvYuqwgsprSI3QHs0uUT60Yjfyznvr-ejez4qf77FTYkhpg7H83gyPIduXyFTYAfKc

One mum was shocked to see her handful of groceries cost her $91. Credit: TikTok/@kittymo73.

Sharing her shocking find on TikTok, one Aussie mum revealed that a handful of items she bought from Woolworths had cost her $91 at the checkout, much to her surprise.

The mum showed the viewers her expensive invoice, along with the small list of items she bought flashing on the screen at checkout.

“Good luck surviving people,” she wrote on the caption, tagging #costofliving and #ripoff.

From what we can see on the clip, it seems like the mum purchased a $6 bottle of honey, a $3.75 iced latte, $8 banana smoothie, a $4 tuna bake, $5 packet of Frosty Fruits, alongside five other items, including what seems to be kangaroo steak and cosmetic products (collagen and makeup).

Several of her followers shared her sentiments, echoing that the cost of living is gradually getting worse by the day.

A fellow shopper shared that they also noticed their bags of groceries are now much pricier than ever before. “I got a bag worth of stuff that wouldn't normally cost much and it costs me $98 this time around,” they said.

Another shopper commented: “I agree, I'm spending $300+ for a family of 2 adults and 2 toddlers.”

A third person even shared that to save expenses on food, they have been “living off noodles and beans” on most days.

“Why are we so stressed and sad? Because we can't afford anything anymore,” cried out a fourth person.

And while we can’t truly ‘prevent’ the rising prices of commodities these days, we are not completely helpless against it!

Even if you have a full-time source of income or are relying on government support payments, there are several ways on how to efficiently budget and save your hard-earned money.

Check out our ‘frugal’ money-saving tips here!

Reactions: Ricci
Sponsored
Blame the USA and Biden for the fuel prices. Biden has curtailed home production and exploration. Where the USA once produced a surplus and exported oil, they now have to purchase it on the open market.

Reactions: Kayer02 and Ricci
I find that my appetite is much reduced now that I'm older. Last week I bought 5 pots of soup from Woolies at $3 each. It's woolies own brand, found in the chiller cabinets, there are about 6 or 7 varieties to choose from. I find one of these, with a couple of slices of fresh bread and butter quite filling. That's $15 plus a loaf of bread for dinner for 5 days. On the weekends I splash out a bit more but most of my meals are vegetable, fish or legume based as meat prices are just ridiculous at the moment. There are ways to save on grocery items but frugality it seems is a dying art.;)

I cannot believe that my cat's litter of clumping clay has gone up from $13 to $17 a 7.5kg bag and her biscuits have gone up accordingly if I can get either. I know we are all tightening our belts but this is ridiculous. I feel like she is using gold not clay.:confused:

• Wow
Reactions: Sharyon and Ricci