Aussie traveller feels 'screwed over' by Booking.com after a reservation mishap

When plans go awry, dealing with customer service can be an absolute nightmare—an experience that’s all too familiar for some Australian travellers.

Take Maddison Elliot, a customer who recently found herself embroiled in a booking debacle with the popular travel website Booking.com.

She accused the company of leaving her and her mother stranded and out of pocket, while Booking.com pointed the finger at the hotel.

Maddison and her mum embarked on a road trip from Brisbane to Sydney to see Taylor Swift in concert.

They started their long journey home on February 27.

With fatigue setting in and Maddison nursing an injury that made extensive driving challenging, the pair decided to break the journey in Coffs Harbour, NSW.

Screenshot 2024-03-06 at 1.35.18 PM.png
An Aussie traveller experienced a reservation mishap with Booking.com. Image source: Booking.com.

'We were a four-hour drive from home, too tired to continue, and I have an injury that was prohibiting me from driving long distances in one go,' she said.

They turned to Booking.com to secure a $105 room at an Ibis Budget Hotel for the night.

Upon arrival, however, the hotel reportedly had no record of their booking, even though it had been paid in full.

Maddison explained the bewilderment she felt at the front desk, watching her mum on the phone with Booking.com, while appealing to the hotel's front desk staff.

'So my mum is on the phone with Booking.com, I'm talking to the lady at the front desk [and] she says “Look, I can't do anything, [the booking] is not coming up,”'

'We were out of pocket $105 and had nowhere to stay—at this point, it's 10pm.'

Desperate for a solution, Maddison called Booking.com back, hoping they would provide alternatives or a refund.

'They were very hesitant to give it back [and] we’re still waiting for the money to come through.'

Exhausted and out of options, Maddison and her mother booked a room directly with Ibis.

Booking.com stated that 'upon further investigation', they can verify that the booking was confirmed 'immediately' and a notification was sent to their email address.

'The hotel had also messaged the guest to confirm their Booking.com reservation,' Booking.com said.

'Regardless of the issue, our goal is always to resolve our customer service queries as quickly and satisfactorily as possible. In this instance, due to the confusing experience the customer encountered with the property, we have arranged a full refund.'

The booking platform also stated that although 'it's rare' for a reservation to be delayed, clients can contact customer service 24/7 for assistance.

Still, Maddison remained adamant that the glitch originated from Booking.com, saying, 'They have the nerve to email me to apologise on behalf of the accommodation.'

Social media users echoed Maddison's experience, with several sharing similar booking nightmares on the site.

'Same, this happened to me this week! They told me they could only give me 25 euros back when my hotel was 1200 dollars,' one user shared.

Hotel industry insiders chimed in and suggested customers should make reservations directly with the hotel whenever possible to avoid such frustrations.

'I work at a hotel in Perth. Never use Booking.com, Expedia, or any third-party website. [There are] always issues, and we cannot help unless you have booked [directly],' one said.

'Third parties are the worst for lapsed time. I’ll have folks waiting an hour and a half for a reservation to go through, and they’re livid at me, of course. Glad I don’t work front desk anymore,' another added.

However, amid the online criticism, some defended Booking.com, and argued that fault rests on the hotel's side rather than the booking platform.

'It sounds like the receptionist didn't have full access. Bookings in any online travel agency (Booking.com, Hotels, etc) are confirmed automatically. But the hotel's “channel manager” needs to confirm from their side. In short, this is 100 per cent the hotel's management mistake,' one replied.

'I have worked in hotels, and with Booking.com sounds like a f**k up from the hotel,' another commented.
Key Takeaways

• An Australian traveller, Maddison Elliott, expressed frustration over an accommodation issue with Booking.com.
  • The traveller and her mum were unable to check into their pre-booked and fully paid room at an Ibis Budget Hotel in Coffs Harbour as they were told by hotel staff that their booking was not in the system.
  • Booking.com has since arranged a full refund for the customer after 'further investigation', claiming that the hotel had confirmed the booking and even sent an email regarding the booking.
  • Other users shared that they have experienced similar issues with third-party booking platforms, while some hotel employees advised guests to book directly with hotels to avoid such problems.
Have you experienced any difficulties with a third-party booking platform before? Share your stories with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
I have been using Booking.com, in Australia, The U.S., Europe and Asia, both privately and through various employers since 1998.

The only time I have had problems was when I booked a hotel from a large chain, like Ibis.

In these cases the booking is not made by the hotel you are planning to stay in, but with the company headquarters, which is frequently overseas, as is the call centre for resolving issues.

Two pieces of advice

1. Keep your confirmation emails on your phone or printed out on paper, until you get back from your trip. Helps sort ANY problems... lost bookings, wrong room types, overcharging, Etc.

2.Call the hotel several hours before arrival to 'let them know when you will arrive'. Helps to ensure your room is clean and ready when you arrive and makes them look for your booking, which gives them and you time to resolve the problem if they can't find it... At least, you will have time to look for another hotel.

I don't travel.
If I did, I most likely would prefer to make my booking directly with the place I have chosen.
I know in some cases people have to go through a central booking site of some kind, however, that wouldn't wash with me. I want that immediate confirmation and be able to put it to print.
Call me old fashioned.

Reactions: BenV
Yep.
Quite a few years ago this happened to us.
I would have thought the problem wouldn‘t happen again…so I’m surprised that it has…
We needed to go to Townsville - to visit our son in hospital (who was to undergo spinal surgery).
So, we booked a room at a hotel in Townsville - on Booking.com.
Received an email back from Booking.com saying our “reservation is confirmed”.
The email said we could pay the hotel on checkin.
Flew from Sydney to Townsville - cab to hotel.
Arrived at the hotel at 9:30pm…
”Sorry, there’s no booking here”.
I showed them the email from Booking.com
They said; “yes, this isn‘t the first time this has happened with Booking.com”
Unfortunately, the hotel was booked out - due to some large sporting activities, but they managed to find a cancellation and so, provided a room.
As a result of this, I now ALWAYS contact the hotel direct - requesting confirmation from them.

Same here. I have to go incognito surfing because if You donot take up the offer for a room, booking.com ups the price each revisit.
I spoke to them direct, and she insisted hotels have gone up a lot since covid, but I said not 100% each time I looked it up! She refused to believe me. I’m not that stupid. So this holiday I directly booked with the hotel, BUT booking.com got wind of it somehow and kept emailing me for payment NOW! I only pay cash when I arrive. Here’s hoping I have a room tomorrow in the u.k. !!

I have been using Booking.com, in Australia, The U.S., Europe and Asia, both privately and through various employers since 1998.

The only time I have had problems was when I booked a hotel from a large chain, like Ibis.

In these cases the booking is not made by the hotel you are planning to stay in, but with the company headquarters, which is frequently overseas, as is the call centre for resolving issues.

Two pieces of advice

1. Keep your confirmation emails on your phone or printed out on paper, until you get back from your trip. Helps sort ANY problems... lost bookings, wrong room types, overcharging, Etc.

2.Call the hotel several hours before arrival to 'let them know when you will arrive'. Helps to ensure your room is clean and ready when you arrive and makes them look for your booking, which gives them and you time to resolve the problem if they can't find it... At least, you will have time to look for another hotel.
Yes. Come to think of it - that’s exactly what happened to us. We booked a room (with a large hotel chain) through Booking.com. The chain’s headquarters didn’t send our reservation on to the hotel!!!
I still use Booking.com to sort through hotel styles, location, etc., and still book with them, but follow up with an email to the hotel. As the Irish say; to be sure to be sure…

I have had good experiences with booking.com. Even when I had to cancel one night of a 4 night stay they helped me navigate that with the hotel. Even though I’ve rarely used it I find their “free cancellation policy gives peace of mind. Personally I wouldn’t use any other online booking company.

I have used Booking.com exactly once, and never will again. I was assigned a decrepit room off the carpark, at a hotel with "guaranteed" mountain valley views. Shoddy.

Over the years we have booked dozens of hotel rooms/B&B in both the UK and Australia, mainly through Agoda, which is part of booking.com. We have never had a problem - the accommodation was as described and the properties are clean and comfortable. Also as a regular customer Agoda gives us great discounts.