Aussie tourist falls seriously ill during flight, facing life-threatening disease

Dream vacations often culminate years of planning, saving, and anticipation.

They're a chance to escape the every day, explore new horizons, and create memories that last a lifetime.

However, for Jon and his wife, Mary, their long-awaited European holiday became a harrowing ordeal that reminded them of life's unpredictability and the importance of being prepared for any eventuality.

Jon and Mary, an Australian couple who had been meticulously saving for their once-in-a-lifetime trip, were filled with excitement as they boarded their flight to London.

During the flight, Jon became seriously ill, and upon landing, the couple's dream holiday took a drastic turn as they rushed from the airport to the hospital.

1726199895495.png
An Australian couple's European dream trip turned into a nightmare when Jon fell seriously ill during their flight to London. Credit: Shutterstock

It was there that doctors delivered the shocking diagnosis: Jon had contracted meningococcal septicemia.

This severe and life-threatening blood infection can spread through respiratory droplets during coughing or prolonged close contact.

The disease is known for its rapid onset and can lead to serious complications if not treated promptly.

Mary's coworker, Michelle, shared the couple's plight on a GoFundMe page, detailing how Jon had been in intensive care for ten days since arriving in London.

'Jon and Mary have been saving for a long time to go overseas, for their once-in-a-lifetime dream holiday, only for Jon to be struck down on the flight over with a deadly infectious disease,' she wrote.

The symptoms of meningococcal septicemia are swift and severe, often including fever, headache, stiff neck, nausea, vomiting, sensitivity to light (photophobia), and confusion.

These symptoms can escalate quickly, leading to life-threatening conditions such as septic shock and organ failure.

There were medical bills to contend with and the added costs of extended accommodation and daily travel to and from the hospital, which Michelle estimated at $120 per day.

‘With the extra travel, accommodation, and any out-of-pocket medical, expenses are rapidly adding up!' she explained.

In a heartfelt plea, Michelle urged fellow Australians to 'dig deep' and support the couple in true Aussie spirit.

'Mary is alone in a strange new country with zero support throughout this devastating ordeal,' she said.

'For something like this to happen is a daunting and terrifying experience, to say the least.'

The GoFundMe campaign aimed to alleviate some financial burdens so that Mary could focus on Jon's health and recovery.

Since its launch, the campaign has raised $3,400, a testament to the generosity of strangers touched by the couple's story.
Key Takeaways

• An Australian couple's dream European holiday turned into a nightmare when Jon became seriously ill with meningococcal septicemia during their flight to London.
  • Upon arriving, they had to go directly from the airport to the hospital, where Jon was admitted to the intensive care unit.
  • Mary's co-worker Michelle has set up a GoFundMe campaign to help with the unforeseen travel, accommodation, and medical expenses they are now facing.
  • The campaign aimed to alleviate financial stress so that Mary and Jon can focus on his health and recovery, having raised $3,400 since its launch.
Have you or someone you know ever faced a medical emergency while travelling? How did you handle the situation, and what advice would you give others? Feel free to share your experiences and tips in the comments below.

Sponsored
I haven't travelled overseas since 1983 so I don't know if things have changed. Some countries have a reciprocal medical cost agreement in place where both countries provide free medical treatment for those travelling from the other country.

I know that New Zealand and Australia had this in place in 1983 as I badly broke my tibia in four places on the South Island. Treatment and subsequent hospitalisation didn't cost me a cent. In reality, the travel insurance I took out at the time wasn't necessary at all!

• Wow
Reactions: mOiOz
yes. I landed in Beijing unwell and they took me to first class and a young doctor on board came to me. on landing i was taken to their clinic and given an ecg and a very good once over at no cost to me. Our taxi pick up waited for us, I could never complain about China Air Travel.

I haven't travelled overseas since 1983 so I don't know if things have changed. Some countries have a reciprocal medical cost agreement in place where both countries provide free medical treatment for those travelling from the other country.

I know that New Zealand and Australia had this in place in 1983 as I badly broke my tibia in four places on the South Island. Treatment and subsequent hospitalisation didn't cost me a cent. In reality, the travel insurance I took out at the time wasn't necessary at all!
correct good ole NZ. I can travel back home and still after 32 years I can have hospital treatment. It is still in place. I am a south islander, isn't it beautiful? BUT COLD.

Reactions: Veggiepatch
Sounds like they took out insurance but daily insurance allowance for accommodation, food, travel, etc for the travelling companion wouldn't cover it all. Some companies will refund after you've spent.
It is up to the individual to check what their travel insurance premium covers and not expect everyone else to pay for their mistake by starting a go fund me page. The number of people who pull this stunt via a sob story is unbelievable. Even more foolish are the individuals who contribute to this nonsense.

correct good ole NZ. I can travel back home and still after 32 years I can have hospital treatment. It is still in place. I am a south islander, isn't it beautiful? BUT COLD.
We were there when Australia won the America's Cup which was a few days after I got out of hospital. Then the whole South Island was blanketed in a blizzard. Countless sheep froze to death and everywhere you drove, there were trucks laden with frozen sheep carcasses.

But the scenery was stunning!

it is a bit rich going to a go fund me page when they did not have the brains to take out proper insurance, my pride would not allow me to do that, payment for stupidity or bad luck.

it is a bit rich going to a go fund me page when they did not have the brains to take out proper insurance, my pride would not allow me to do that, payment for stupidity or bad luck.
I agree with you, but people who contribute must love a good sob story. Never a shortage of fools who enjoy parting with their hard earned money. This is one reason why scammers will always exist.

I am very interested in this.Travelling to many overseas countries,Canada Europe Peru South America New Caledonia,Hong Kong Singapore,all with top reputable expensive touring companies,we have always paid out big for insurance,I am going to new Zealand and wondering if this agreement is still in place or where I can get more info.Anyone please?

We were there when Australia won the America's Cup which was a few days after I got out of hospital. Then the whole South Island was blanketed in a blizzard. Countless sheep froze to death and everywhere you drove, there were trucks laden with frozen sheep carcasses.

But the scenery was stunning!
that day i was sitting in a plane at christchurch airport waiting for take off to brisbane and the pilots would not fly until the race was over. farming can be the most hazardess job. lambing season can be
I am very interested in this.Travelling to many overseas countries,Canada Europe Peru South America New Caledonia,Hong Kong Singapore,all with top reputable expensive touring companies,we have always paid out big for insurance,I am going to new Zealand and wondering if this agreement is still in place or where I can get more info.Anyone please?
yes it is reciprocal. from a kiwi. I still get it. you have been around a bit. nice to know a non whinging aussie.

that day i was sitting in a plane at christchurch airport waiting for take off to brisbane and the pilots would not fly until the race was over. farming can be the most hazardess job. lambing season can be

yes it is reciprocal. from a kiwi. I still get it. you have been around a bit. nice to know a non whinging aussie.
Driving from Christchurch to Methven at night was a hoot! Every few kilometres there was a sign stating "ROAD SLUMPS". We equated those to the dead wildlife on the side of the road until we were told it meant the Kiwi equivalent of "SOFT EDGES". We joked that the wildlife needed a snooze on the roadside!!

Driving from Christchurch to Methven at night was a hoot! Every few kilometres there was a sign stating "ROAD SLUMPS". We equated those to the dead wildlife on the side of the road until we were told it meant the Kiwi equivalent of "SOFT EDGES". We joked that the wildlife needed a snooze on the roadside!!
no wild life only possums. maybe the odd horse or cattle or sheep. quite civilised really. did you handle the traffic okay??????

Medicare, travel agencies or call insurance companies directly. Cover More for example, is a product of Allianz.

Thankyou for that info,will check with Medicare here anyway.Summer in New Zealand.Hope it's warm🤞