Aussie shops kick off massive EOFY sales earlier than expected. Why the rush?

As the calendar pages turn and we approach the end of the financial year, it's not just the accountants who are bustling with activity.

Retailers across Australia are gearing up for the annual End-of-Financial Year (EOFY) sales, and this year, they're starting earlier than ever.

Let's examine the surprising reasons behind this trend and how shoppers can take advantage of these deals.

Traditionally, EOFY sales are when retailers clear out old stock before inventory counts and the new financial year begins.

However, this year, stores are slashing prices on everything from the latest electronics to winter clothing well ahead of schedule.

For instance, JB Hi-Fi launched its 'Wicked Wednesday' sale, offering half-price deals on top electronic brands like Bose, Dyson, and Microsoft.

compressed-eofy.jpeg
JB Hi-Fi showcased their EOFY deals online, which included mobile phones, audio gear, and laptops among others. Image Credit: JB Hi-Fi

Store manager Christine Skeed touted it as the brand's most significant sale of the year, happening only three times annually.

Similarly, The Good Guys's Auburn store started offering discounts on various products, including televisions and air fryers.

'Across the store, you can get up to 50 per cent off,' said store manager Matt Day.

Clothing retailers followed suit, as Cotton On rolled out its sale, followed closely by Myers and Big W.

You may ask—what prompted this early-bird approach to EOFY sales?

The answer lies in the current economic climate—retail profits took a hit as consumers tightened their belts amidst the cost-of-living crisis.

'Let's face it, the retail market is hurting. They want consumers to spend, but the cost of living crisis is forcing consumers to keep their wallets shut,' financial expert Effie Zahos explained.

Retailers' early start to EOFY sales is a strategic move to entice customers to spend before the financial year wraps up.

With tax changes on the horizon come July 1, experts suggest that consumers could benefit from making purchases now.

For example, when buying an item for $300 or less, you can claim the full amount as a single deduction in your tax return.

For items over $300, a portion of the cost can be claimed each year.

'It could pay for some people to bring forward some of their expenses; this financial year, they may find they could get more bang for their buck,' Zahos added.

'Remember you're not going to get 100 per cent back in a refund of what you spent.'

So, what does this mean for you? It's an opportunity to plan purchases wisely.

However, remember that a sale isn't a reason to spend indiscriminately—always consider your budget and needs first.

As these sales begin to pop up like autumn leaves, take a moment to assess what you need, research the best deals, and make informed decisions.

Whether upgrading your gadgets, refreshing your wardrobe, or simply treating yourself to something special, the early EOFY sales are a chance to save while spending.
Key Takeaways

• End-of-financial year (EOFY) sales started early, with significant discounts on a wide range of products from electronics to clothing.
  • Retailers like JB Hi-Fi, The Good Guys, and major clothing brands kicked off their sales with substantial savings, some offering up to 50 per cent off items.
  • The early sales were a response to a profit downturn as consumers tightened their spending due to the cost-of-living crisis.
  • With tax changes on the horizon for the new financial year, experts suggested consumers could benefit from purchasing items now for a better tax deduction.
Have you taken advantage of an EOFY sale in the past? What are your strategies for navigating these deals? Share your experiences and tips in the comments below, and let's help each other make the most of this year's early bargains.

Sponsored
I don't buy just because of sales. If I need something and it's on sale then amazing.

I'm ready to go shopping for a new stove top and oven plus toaster,kettle, coffee machine and microwave oven so hopefully I can find some great sales on these items .

The toaster I want is $189 full price and kettle is around that. Coffee machine is around $800.

I'm shopping in maybe a week or so. Will come back to this post and let you know then if I got a good sale on what I want 😉

I don't buy just because of sales. If I need something and it's on sale then amazing.

I'm ready to go shopping for a new stove top and oven plus toaster,kettle, coffee machine and microwave oven so hopefully I can find some great sales on these items .

The toaster I want is $189 full price and kettle is around that. Coffee machine is around $800.

I'm shopping in maybe a week or so. Will come back to this post and let you know then if I got a good sale on what I want 😉
I always get good deals at The Good Guys ,they usually discount items even when no sale.
I have a black and white kitchen with a few pops of red appliances ,like a blender and mixer.
When you are looking for a new oven ,check out combination steam and bake, they are brilliant for someone who cooks like you. You can cook a steam pudding in the oven and do trays of steamed vegies.but it needs plumbing in.
Happy shopping. 💐

Reactions: mbrannigan

Good to see you are aware of the price prior to the so called sale price

Reactions: Littleboy8
I guess you check jb and good guys prices. They price match so then go to the nearest store. Sometimes good guys will even best JB prices

You must drink a lot of coffee for that price and eat a lot of toast🤣

Reactions: Suzanne rose
You must drink a lot of coffee for that price and eat a lot of toast🤣
I was thinking , I never had a big wedding we eloped, to piss family off,
We had cheap stuff for years , then bought one by one good stuff.
So now I decided to go on a spending spree and before I die.

Just changed got two patchwork quilt sets

Screenshot_20240530_152440_Gallery.jpg

Bargain purchased.

I purchased 2 patchwork quilts from temu. King size. Free shipping.

I wasn't expecting much as they were $35 and $45 . But seriously both are really good quality.

I was expecting to send one or maybe both back . But I'm keeping both.

They both came with large pillow shams

Screenshot_20240530_153150_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240530_153157_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240530_152440_Gallery.jpg
Also both are reversible

Screenshot_20240530_153853_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240530_153903_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Bargain purchased.

I purchased 2 patchwork quilts from temu. King size. Free shipping.

I wasn't expecting much as they were $35 and $45 . But seriously both are really good quality.

I was expecting to send one or maybe both back . But I'm keeping both.

They both came with large pillow shams

View attachment 49832View attachment 49833View attachment 49834
Also both are reversible

View attachment 49839View attachment 49840
I’ve got 2of those patchwork quilts my mum made them they are so comfortable. Love them.😍

Last edited: