Aussie senator's controversial post about King Charles sends shockwaves through social media

In the digital age, social media has become the battleground for political statements and public outcry, with every post potentially sparking a national conversation or controversy.

This was certainly the case for a prominent Australian politician, whose social media page became the centre of a heated debate following the sharing of a contentious image involving King Charles III.

As discussions about personal rights and public personas continue to unfold, this incident serves as a reminder of the complexities involved in navigating fame and public image in the digital age.

Independent Senator Thorpe, known for her outspoken advocacy on Indigenous rights, found herself at the heart of a social media storm when a cartoon depicting a decapitated King Charles III was posted on her social media page’s story.

The graphic image, which was accompanied by the text ‘You are not our king,’ echoed the sentiments Thorpe vocalised during a protest in Parliament House in Canberra.

464042575_18271276909217542_6778509632215544537_n.jpg
Independent Senator Lidia Thorpe deleted a controversial image from her social media, which she alleged had been shared without her approval. Credit: Facebook / Senator Lidia Thorpe

‘Earlier tonight, without my knowledge, one of my staff shared an image to my Instagram stories created by another account,’ Thorpe explained on her social media page.

‘I deleted it as soon as I saw.’

‘I would not intentionally share anything that could be seen to encourage violence against anyone,’ she added.

The senator's demonstration was as bold as it was polarising, with her cries of ‘give us our land back’, ‘not your land’, and ‘you are not my king. You are not our king,’ reverberating through the Great Hall.

She also urged the king to ‘give us a treaty’ and was heard saying, ‘f*** the colony’ before security ultimately removed her.

The protest itself was a significant moment, capturing the attention of all present and quickly becoming a topic of national conversation.

Thorpe's actions were met with a spectrum of reactions, from those who lauded her as ‘legendary’ for her audacity to stand up for Indigenous sovereignty to others who condemned the disruption as disrespectful.

Among the critics was former Indigenous senator and Olympian Nova Peris, who said she was ‘deeply disappointed’ at what she considered an embarrassing and disrespectful display during what should have been a respectful event.

‘Her outburst, which disrupted what should have been a respectful event, was both embarrassing and disrespectful to our nation and the Royal Family,’ Peris wrote on social media.

As tensions flared during the protest, the royal visit continued to captivate the attention of the public, with King Charles and Queen Camilla charming Australian crowds.

While Senator Lidia Thorpe’s outburst highlighted the ongoing discussions around Indigenous rights and representation, the royal couple’s warm reception underscored their commitment to fostering positive relations with the community.

This juxtaposition of protest and celebration illustrates the complex dynamics at play during their visit, reminding us of the diverse perspectives that shape our nation’s narrative.
Key Takeaways
  • Independent Senator Lidia Thorpe deleted a contentious image that was shared on her social media page without her approval, reportedly showing a cartoon of King Charles III's decapitated head.
  • The senator had protested during King Charles' speech in Parliament House in Canberra, making headlines with her actions and vocal opposition.
  • The image shared on Thorpe's social media page included the phrase ‘You are not our king’, echoing her comments made during the protest in the Great Hall.
  • While Thorpe has received both praise and criticism for her demonstration, she stated she does not endorse violence and that the post did not reflect her values.
We invite our readers to share their thoughts on this matter. How do you feel about the use of social media by public figures to make political statements? Do you believe Senator Thorpe's protest was effective in raising awareness, or do you think it crossed a line? Join the discussion in the comments below and let us know your perspective on the intersection of politics, protest, and social media etiquette.

Sponsored
I find Lidia distasteful and unacceptable to serve in parliament. There’s a properway to bring things up onto the table for discussion. Anything she shouts about I throw in the littler bin. Therefore, answer is NO to Lidia Thorpe bringing anything to my attention. Just another activist.

If you don't like our parlimentary democracy get out of the parliament. Or air your differences in the correct and proper channels in parliament not by outrageous displays like this woman does. She is not doing anyone's cause any good. Get out Lydia.

In my honest opinion, Lydia Thorpe is an embarrassment to all civilised Australians. There are better ways to get your point across and all she is doing is 'screaming for her 15 minutes of fame'. She will only be remembered for making a public spectacle of herself, not making a difference for first nations people.

What an absolute disgusting , foul mouthed , display from a sick, unhinged so called senator, how embarrassing to have her sitting in parliament, she is a disgrace to the Australian people, a disgrace to the indigenous she pretends to represent, her outburst and beheading comment, she definitely posted it , she always blames everyone else for her actions, the indigenous people had to apologise for her, why on earth would we want a treaty after witnessing a tirade like that, she hates the monarchy but takes the money, is that the most hypocritical thing ever, she is a disgusting disgrace to our nation, one step away from being committed to an institution for mental illness. Reading all the comments yesterday all Australians are absolutely disgusted by her.

Absolutely disgusting behaviour and a total embarrassment to the country she represents. There are already indigenous members in the parliament and they don't shout and scream and act like spoilt brats. She needs to be sacked and I object as a taxpayer to paying her wages to fund her loudmouthed lifestyle - she should go back to her bikie gang where she came from.

Many years ago an Indigenous girl I was friends with at school made the comment that a few were going to give them a bad reputation and make it unpleasant for others. It seems in many cases her predictions were right. She also maintained she was not stolen - she was saved. A good education, healthy food, a clothing alowance.....and away from a drunken abusive father. One of her sisters was at the same home. They loved it there. They loved the "house parents" who pretty much treated them the same as their own children.
I was continuously bullied at school for months until my friend eventually got angry about it and called them a "bunch of white pigs" because they also threatened to bash me up. They respected me after that. For months she kept apologising to me for what she said to the others. I thanked her for "sticking up" for me. I reported it before the bullies could and explained the reason why it happened. The teachers agreed with me and monitored our section of the school yard more after that.

I find this Lidia Thorpe nothing more than an embarrassment ,how did she got elected to serve in Parliament is a mystery to me and many others she needs to be expelled from Parliament the sooner the better would she be here with out colonization ,i think not.

I thought it was a disgraceful outburst of a woman who had lost all sense of propriety And was totally out of control… actually bordering on hysteria. It was hysterical and outdated. Time to move forward Lidia… Charles had nothing to do with what happened two hundred odd years ago. You are a Senator of this Country and your dreadful display was nothing short of conduct unbecoming of a Member of a parliament of our beautiful a country, Australia… this person has no control and is loose cannon… and her followers are obviously like her to depict a beheaded King Charles. Shame on you. Your followear could well be up for treason And in days gone by OFF WITH THEIR HEADS

Many years ago an Indigenous girl I was friends with at school made the comment that a few were going to give them a bad reputation and make it unpleasant for others. It seems in many cases her predictions were right. She also maintained she was not stolen - she was saved. A good education, healthy food, a clothing alowance.....and away from a drunken abusive father. One of her sisters was at the same home. They loved it there. They loved the "house parents" who pretty much treated them the same as their own children.
I was continuously bullied at school for months until my friend eventually got angry about it and called them a "bunch of white pigs" because they also threatened to bash me up. They respected me after that. For months she kept apologising to me for what she said to the others. I thanked her for "sticking up" for me. I reported it before the bullies could and explained the reason why it happened. The teachers agreed with me and monitored our section of the school yard more after that.
I know of a young boy who was so called’stolen’ also, he was taken from a family that abused him from birth, he was put with a beautiful family who loved and cherished him, he had a wonderful life, went to school then to uni and became a lawyer, all this carry on about the stolen generation is not right, most children were taken from abusive parents, it is another beat up by indigenous elites to cause trouble for Australia. Just look at Alice Springs, NT and the youth crime and tell me it is still warranted taking children out of harms way for a better life.

I thought it was a disgraceful outburst of a woman who had lost all sense of propriety And was totally out of control… actually bordering on hysteria. It was hysterical and outdated. Time to move forward Lidia… Charles had nothing to do with what happened two hundred odd years ago. You are a Senator of this Country and your dreadful display was nothing short of conduct unbecoming of a Member of a parliament of our beautiful a country, Australia… this person has no control and is loose cannon… and her followers are obviously like her to depict a beheaded King Charles. Shame on you. Your followear could well be up for treason And in days gone by OFF WITH THEIR HEADS
Yes it was HATE SPEECH. Something we would be locked up for .

Well it’s been said she may have 1% of Aboriginal blood in her. She is a total embarrassment to all of us, the Greens have gone far away from what Bob Browne envisioned as a Greens party who also are a total disgrace. Seems she is just an attention seeker. How on earth can she be in parliament? She made an oath to Queen Elizabeth 11 and to all her family, meaning King Charles as well. Why did they not shut her down sooner? No doubt nothing will be done to like sanctions etc. Or will they?

What an absolute disgusting , foul mouthed , display from a sick, unhinged so called senator, how embarrassing to have her sitting in parliament, she is a disgrace to the Australian people, a disgrace to the indigenous she pretends to represent, her outburst and beheading comment, she definitely posted it , she always blames everyone else for her actions, the indigenous people had to apologise for her, why on earth would we want a treaty after witnessing a tirade like that, she hates the monarchy but takes the money, is that the most hypocritical thing ever, she is a disgusting disgrace to our nation, one step away from being committed to an institution for mental illness. Reading all the comments yesterday all Australians are absolutely disgusted by her.
Julie, my sentiments exactly. She's not adverse to taking taxpayers' money.

This woman is a total nut case. What a disgrace to all Australians. We, the taxpayers, pay her wages, she should be immediately kicked out of parliament. How anyone, particularly a Senator in our Government could be so disgracefully disrespectful to our Sovereign King Charles is totally beyond me. Her disgusting antics have brought nothing but shame on our country and it's people. I am totally ashamed of the way this idiot has behaved. She should never, ever have been elected as a Senator.