Aussie rock legend shares amusing encounter with law enforcement: 'I got done three times by the same cop!'

Life is full of surprises, and sometimes they come in threes—ask Aussie rock legend Jimmy Barnes.

Cold Chisel's iconic frontman, known for his gravelly voice and high-octane performances, recently shared a tale from his past that's sure to have fans shaking their head in disbelief.

In an excerpt from his upcoming memoir, Highways and Byways, Barnes recounted a day that was anything but a smooth ride.

Jimmy Barnes was cruising from Bowral to Sydney on his Mercedes 450, with the stereo blasting and the open road ahead.

It's a scene that screams freedom, but as Jimmy soon discovered, with freedom comes responsibility and consequences.

jimmy barnes.PNG
Jimmy Barnes recently went back on stage for Cold Chisel's 50th anniversary tour. Image Credit: Instagram/Jimmy Barnes, Robert Hambling

The first encounter came when Jimmy got pulled over for driving at 210 kilometres per hour.

Despite being recognised by the highway patrol officer, Barnes received a ticket for his lead-footed antics.

However, as soon as the highway patrol was out of sight, Jimmy went back at it and pushed the speedometer even further.
It wasn't long before the same officer caught up with him again and clocked him for an even faster speed.

Jimmy's licence got revoked on the spot.

Yet, with a bit of charm and a promise to stay off the road once in Sydney, he convinced the officer to let him continue his journey.

However, the promise was short-lived, as Barnes got stopped a third time shortly after.

'That is a true story that I got done three times by the same cop,' Barnes exclaimed in an interview.

'He was just flabbergasted. I did not learn that day.'

The triple whammy of fines led to a three-month licence suspension and a mandatory driving course for the rock star.
As he reflected on the incident, Barnes admitted that his love for music and a powerful car got the better of him.

'My problem is I have the attention span of a small soap dish, so my speed goes with the music,' he explained.

While the escapade was an exciting story to tell, Barnes has since changed his ways and has not received a ticket in years.

Jimmy Barnes remained a beloved figure in Australian music.

His recent health battles, including a stubborn staph infection and surgeries, have not dampened his spirit.

Cold Chisel recently kicked off their 50th anniversary national tour, and their 50 Years-The Best Of album soared to number one on the ARIA charts.

As we anticipate the release of Highways and Byways on 16 October, we're reminded that even our heroes have their off days.

We wish Cold Chisel all the best for their ongoing tour.
Key Takeaways

• Cold Chisel frontman Jimmy Barnes revealed he was fined three times in a day for speeding by the same police officer.
  • Jimmy lost his driver's licence for three months and was required to attend a driving course.
  • Jimmy attributed his then-speeding problem to the music he listened to while driving.
  • Despite health issues, Cold Chisel kicked off their 50th-anniversary national tour, where Barnes is expected to rock multiple stages.
Have you ever had a close call on the road that made you rethink your driving habits? Share your experiences with us in the comments below.

Sponsored