Aussie rock icon’s tour takes a break as he recovers from unexpected surgery

Australian rock icon Jimmy Barnes has always been known for his electrifying performances and unwavering dedication to his music.

However, recent developments have cast a shadow over the continuation of his Hell of a Time tour, leaving fans concerned and wishing for his speedy recovery.

Fans are eagerly awaiting updates on the rescheduled dates and the rock star's return to the stage.

Jane Barnes, the wife of the 68-year-old Cold Chisel frontman, took to social media on Saturday, August 3, to express gratitude for fans' outpouring of support following Jimmy's immediate operation.

The unexpected surgery was necessitated by severe hip pain that the singer experienced during the New Zealand leg of his tour.

This health setback came on the heels of a heart surgery that Barnes underwent just a few months prior to address a life-threatening bacterial infection that had spread to his heart valve.

photo-2 (1).jpg
Jimmy Barnes underwent an unexpected hip surgery, affecting his Hell of a Time tour schedule. Credit: Instagram / Jane Barnes

In a heartfelt social media post, Jane shared images of Jimmy in the hospital, one showing him enjoying some ‘healing chicken soup’ and another with their children, Mahalia and Jackie, by his side.

She wrote, ‘Hi everybody, It’s (Jane) here to thank you once again for all your messages of support for our Jimmy.’

‘You are an incredible online community of family, friends and followers who offer up your kindness and thoughtfulness during trying times like these.’

‘Jimmy is out of ICU and recovering well. I brought in some healing chicken soup and chocolate chip cookies for afternoon tea, a bit of home always helps hospital days. Our kids [are] always around watching over us. Full of Love,’ Jane added.

The rock legend himself had previously informed his followers about the need for surgery, which unfortunately meant the cancellation of his planned shows in August and September.

The recovery is expected to take six weeks, disrupting his schedule that included performances in Wyong, Toowoomba, Thirroul, Canberra, and a highly anticipated gig at the Sydney Opera House on August 18.

Jimmy's heartfelt message to his fans underscored his regret at having to move shows, a decision he doesn't take lightly.

‘Ticket holders will be contacted with further info in the coming days once we have new plans in place,’ he stated.

‘As you know, I hate to let anyone down, but I’m also never going to compromise the quality of my gigs.’

‘I apologise for the inconvenience this will cause everyone—I HATE moving shows!—but thank you for understanding,’ Jimmy continued.

The health challenges faced by Jimmy are not new. Earlier this year, he shared the harrowing details of his open heart surgery, a risky procedure that was essential to save his life.

‘Even though I felt like I could even hardly walk, I just had to get there, and I’ve got out of bed, I remember being backstage, and I’m sweating and, you know, I had a fever,’ he shared at the time.

‘There was a lot of pain.’

‘My back was really sore by this point, you know, I could, I was struggling to walk,’ he added.

But despite the pain and difficulty, Barnes returned to the stage with a performance at Bluesfest, demonstrating his resilience and passion for music.

In 2022, Barnes also underwent hip replacement surgery, another testament to the physical toll that years of performing have taken on his body.

Promoted as a ‘series of stripped back and intimate shows’, Barnes’s current Hell of a Time tour marks the 30th anniversary of his Flesh and Wood album.

The tour is set to showcase Barnes in an ‘up-close-and-personal mode, telling short stories and tall tales’.

‘The Hell of a Time Tour is shaping up to be something special. We think it's going to feel like you guys are sitting in our lounge room. I know you’ll love it,’ Jimmy said upon the announcement.
Key Takeaways
  • Jimmy Barnes underwent unexpected surgery on his hip, impacting his Hell of a Time tour schedule.
  • His wife Jane updated fans on social media, sharing that Jimmy is ‘recovering well’ from the operation.
  • Barnes previously had heart surgery for a life-threatening infection, which he discussed in an interview earlier in the year.
  • The postponed shows affect planned dates in August and September, with ticket holders to be contacted for further information.
We at the Seniors Discount Club send our best to Jimmy Barnes and his family during this time.

What are your favourite Jimmy Barnes memories and songs? Will you be watching the Hell of a Time tour? Let us know your stories in the comments below!

Sponsored