Aussie pilot debunks myth on planes falling out of the sky

Imagine this: You’re boarding a plane, buckling up and settling in for the flight ahead. But then comes the sinkhole in your stomach–is the plane really going to be okay?

It’s a question many plane travellers have asked at some point. To make matters worse, planes often create sensations of falling during take-off, which can be an unnerving experience for even the most seasoned travellers.

Fortunately, the jitters can be put to rest. Australian pilot Jimmy Nicholson has dismantled one of the biggest flying myths of all time–dispelling fears that the plane will simply drop out of the sky.

'Why does it feel like the plane is falling? Does it happen? No,' the aviator said.

Untitled design (1).png
Aussie pilot Jimmy Nicholson explained how a plane takes off and said passengers shouldn’t be worried. Image: TikTok / @jimmy_nicholson

'Does it feel like it’s happening? Yes,’ he added.

So what’s really going on?

Nicholson explains how, during take-off, the aircraft will barrel down the runway at a speed called V1. 'This is the speed at which we would continue with the take-off, no matter what happens,' he said.

After reaching the ‘safe altitude’, the pilots will reduce the thrust during the climb, where passengers onboard may feel the first drop. 'All it is happening is that the pilots are reducing the thrust because we’re now at a safe height,' he said.

The second point in which passengers may experience the feeling of dropping comes when the plane is ‘cleaned up’. 'The reason why planes take-off with flaps and slats out is to increase the surface of the wing, thereby increasing lift and reducing our take-off run,' Nicholson explained.

'Once we get to a height which is safe, we then bring in the flaps and slats. This is the point where you feel the second drop.’

Screenshot 2023-11-22 124309.png
Aussie pilot Jimmy Nicholson waves before taking flight. Image: Instagram / @jimmynicholson

‘So yes, you may get the sensations that the plane is dropping out of the sky on take-off—but rest assured it’s just the pilot changing the configuration of the plane to suit that particular take-off.’

Nicholson’s informative video has already been viewed over a thousand times, and his admission that ‘it feels like the plane is falling’ has put anxious travellers’ minds at ease.

‘As a nervous flyer, I cannot begin to tell you how much I appreciate these nuggets,’ one said.

Another commenter shared,‘Flying back to Australia for the first time in five years in February and as someone who suffers severe panic attacks on planes, the video helped me so much.’

‘Thank you so much. I do understand why the sensation happens but it’s still difficult to ignore. Your reassurance is helpful to remind me it’s safe’, one commenter expressed.

Another one remarked, ‘Thank you so much for this! It’s that drop I hate most that makes me terrified of flying. Every time I fly, I think we are going down.’

While another added, ‘I fly once a week and have done so for 10 years, and I still hate flying but thank you, that makes me feel a bit better.’

The fact is, planes do not simply fall out of the sky. So, if you’re a nervous flyer, you can take comfort in the reassurance of a professional—all you feel is the sensation of the plane configuring as the pilots adjust it during take-off.

You can watch pilot Nicholson’s full video below:

Key Takeaways
  • Australian pilot Jimmy Nicholson has debunked the myth of planes 'falling out of the sky' during take-off.
  • Nicholson explained that there are typically two instances where passengers get the sensation of dropping–firstly, when pilots reduce the thrust upon reaching a safe altitude, and secondly, when the flaps and slats are retracted once a safe height is reached.
  • Many people on social media thanked Nicholson for his explanation and reassurance, stating that his information helps calm their nerves during flight.
  • His explanatory video has been viewed over a thousand times and praised for providing valuable insights for nervous fliers.

We understand the need to feel safe and comfortable when flying, especially if it’s a new experience for some. So, the next time you’re getting on a plane, be sure to keep these tips in mind and enjoy the ride! Did you acquire some valuable insights from Nicholson? Let us know in the comments!

Sponsored
I really don’t enjoy flying much at all, not because I’m a nervous flyer but because I find it rather tedious. The trips to Perth really try me, I’m ready to get off after about 90 minutes. A good book helps, it’s being confined I think, though I’m much the same when travelling by car.

I really don’t enjoy flying much at all, not because I’m a nervous flyer but because I find it rather tedious. The trips to Perth really try me, I’m ready to get off after about 90 minutes. A good book helps, it’s being confined I think, though I’m much the same when travelling by car.
Are you reading my mind?

I also hate that feeling during takeoff 😆 it's like my insides want to get left behind on the ground :ROFLMAO: