Aussie nurse reveals strategy she swears by for massive grocery savings: ‘I easily save $50’

For many of us, we cannot deny that we are always on the lookout for new ways to save money, especially when it comes to major expenses like groceries.

This is why we couldn't wait to share with you the inspiring story of a Melbourne nurse who has been able to save $50 per week on groceries through a brilliant and environmentally friendly tip.

Bailie Stirling, a young Aussie nurse, started her money-saving journey after purchasing a home with her fiancé towards the end of 2021.

In her search for cutting costs, she discovered the wonderful world of 'ugly' fruit and vegetables – produce that might not win any beauty contests but are still full of nutrients and flavour.

Screen Shot 2023-05-23 at 9.57.15 AM.png
Bailie Stirling is saving $50 per week on her grocery shop with this simple advice. Credit: Facebook/Farmers Pick.

By opting for imperfect fruits and vegetables, which are commonly rejected by supermarkets due to their unusual shape, size, or minor cosmetic imperfections, Bailie found herself not only saving a significant sum each week but also helping to reduce food waste. Win-win, right?

'I've found it's been an awesome way to save some money but also keep vegetables that would have otherwise gone to waste,' Bailie told a news source.

This nurse gets a weekly 10-kilogram box of fruit and vegetables from a company called Farmers Pick, with each box costing her just $49.

'I easily save $50, and I still have heaps of leftovers. When I cook a meal, I then have my lunch, my fiancé's lunch, and my housemate's lunch. So we're not really buying food out, and it's helping that way as well,' she said.

Her supermarket trips have since become less frequent, with Bailie venturing to the aisles only once a fortnight while spending around $150 on extra groceries for her household of three—one might say she has become a thrifty shopper in just a few months.

In a previous story, we discussed the increasing trend of reducing food waste and accepting 'ugly' produce. Many retailers and food rescue organisations in Australia have actively taken measures to sell or redistribute such produce.

If you're interested in learning more about these groups, we recommend reading the article here.

Screen Shot 2023-05-23 at 9.57.06 AM.png
Aside from her weekly box of 'imperfect produce', Bailie said she also goes to the supermarket only once a fortnight. Credit: Pexels/PhotoMIX Company.

But that's not the only trick up Bailie's sleeve; she has also made money-saving swaps outside the kitchen. By switching to solar energy, she was able to more than halve her household's electricity bills.

'It cost us $6,000, but our electricity bills have gone from $300 a quarter to anything from $75. So we've more than halved our bill,' she explained.

Furthermore, Bailie has adopted energy-saving practices for her appliances and is thoughtful about when she does her washing to maximise the use of solar energy.

Bailie has also embraced a green lifestyle by raising chickens in her backyard. The chickens serve a dual purpose by consuming food scraps and providing eggs, which she trades within her community in exchange for items like fruit and homemade bread.

'In my community, we trade off eggs, and someone will give us an orange from their tree in their backyard. One of my friends does a lot of baking, so we will trade eggs for bread. It's turned into a nice little community [with] everyone trying to get greener and trying to save money in this really hard time,' Bailie said.

Key Takeaways

• A Melbourne nurse, Bailie Stirling, is saving $50 per week on groceries by buying 'ugly' fruit and vegetables.
  • Imperfect fruit and vegetable delivery boxes sell produce that would otherwise be rejected by supermarkets for cosmetic reasons. Bailie gets a 10-kilogram box of fruit and vegetables each week from Farmers Pick, which costs $49 each.
  • In addition to her grocery tip, Bailie has more than halved her household's electricity bills by switching to solar and using energy-saving modes on her appliances.

We applaud Bailie Stirling for her ingenious and eco-conscious approach to cutting down on grocery expenses, as well as her unwavering commitment to reducing household costs.

We hope that her remarkable journey serves as a source of inspiration for you to embrace similar strategies in your own life. It goes to show that saving money can sometimes be an enjoyable and fulfilling endeavour!

If you have any additional tips and tricks for saving on groceries, we would love to hear from you. Perhaps, like Bailie, you have embraced the practice of selecting 'ugly' produce in supermarkets? Feel free to share your insights and advice in the comments section - any guidance is always greatly appreciated!

Reactions: Liag and Ricci
Sponsored
For many of us, we cannot deny that we are always on the lookout for new ways to save money, especially when it comes to major expenses like groceries.

This is why we couldn't wait to share with you the inspiring story of a Melbourne nurse who has been able to save $50 per week on groceries through a brilliant and environmentally friendly tip.

Bailie Stirling, a young Aussie nurse, started her money-saving journey after purchasing a home with her fiancé towards the end of 2021.

In her search for cutting costs, she discovered the wonderful world of 'ugly' fruit and vegetables – produce that might not win any beauty contests but are still full of nutrients and flavour.

View attachment 20419
Bailie Stirling is saving $50 per week on her grocery shop with this simple advice. Credit: Facebook/Farmers Pick.

By opting for imperfect fruits and vegetables, which are commonly rejected by supermarkets due to their unusual shape, size, or minor cosmetic imperfections, Bailie found herself not only saving a significant sum each week but also helping to reduce food waste. Win-win, right?

'I've found it's been an awesome way to save some money but also keep vegetables that would have otherwise gone to waste,' Bailie told a news source.

This nurse gets a weekly 10-kilogram box of fruit and vegetables from a company called Farmers Pick, with each box costing her just $49.

'I easily save $50, and I still have heaps of leftovers. When I cook a meal, I then have my lunch, my fiancé's lunch, and my housemate's lunch. So we're not really buying food out, and it's helping that way as well,' she said.

Her supermarket trips have since become less frequent, with Bailie venturing to the aisles only once a fortnight while spending around $150 on extra groceries for her household of three—one might say she has become a thrifty shopper in just a few months.

In a previous story, we discussed the increasing trend of reducing food waste and accepting 'ugly' produce. Many retailers and food rescue organisations in Australia have actively taken measures to sell or redistribute such produce.

If you're interested in learning more about these groups, we recommend reading the article here.

View attachment 20420
Aside from her weekly box of 'imperfect produce', Bailie said she also goes to the supermarket only once a fortnight. Credit: Pexels/PhotoMIX Company.

But that's not the only trick up Bailie's sleeve; she has also made money-saving swaps outside the kitchen. By switching to solar energy, she was able to more than halve her household's electricity bills.

'It cost us $6,000, but our electricity bills have gone from $300 a quarter to anything from $75. So we've more than halved our bill,' she explained.

Furthermore, Bailie has adopted energy-saving practices for her appliances and is thoughtful about when she does her washing to maximise the use of solar energy.

Bailie has also embraced a green lifestyle by raising chickens in her backyard. The chickens serve a dual purpose by consuming food scraps and providing eggs, which she trades within her community in exchange for items like fruit and homemade bread.

'In my community, we trade off eggs, and someone will give us an orange from their tree in their backyard. One of my friends does a lot of baking, so we will trade eggs for bread. It's turned into a nice little community [with] everyone trying to get greener and trying to save money in this really hard time,' Bailie said.

Key Takeaways

• A Melbourne nurse, Bailie Stirling, is saving $50 per week on groceries by buying 'ugly' fruit and vegetables.
  • Imperfect fruit and vegetable delivery boxes sell produce that would otherwise be rejected by supermarkets for cosmetic reasons. Bailie gets a 10-kilogram box of fruit and vegetables each week from Farmers Pick, which costs $49 each.
  • In addition to her grocery tip, Bailie has more than halved her household's electricity bills by switching to solar and using energy-saving modes on her appliances.

We applaud Bailie Stirling for her ingenious and eco-conscious approach to cutting down on grocery expenses, as well as her unwavering commitment to reducing household costs.

We hope that her remarkable journey serves as a source of inspiration for you to embrace similar strategies in your own life. It goes to show that saving money can sometimes be an enjoyable and fulfilling endeavour!

If you have any additional tips and tricks for saving on groceries, we would love to hear from you. Perhaps, like Bailie, you have embraced the practice of selecting 'ugly' produce in supermarkets? Feel free to share your insights and advice in the comments section - any guidance is always greatly appreciated!
I only wash in cold water in my washing machine....

We have recently added a battery to our Solar Panels purchasing more of these as well. I run my appliances during the day. I belong to a Buy Nothing page where there is unused bread, fruit & vegetables given away from supermarkets when they are close to use by. I bulk cook and freeze meals. I buy from markets.