Aussie mum shares ‘touchy’ incident in Kmart, sparking calls for consent awareness

Content warning: This article discusses a disturbing incident involving inappropriate physical contact with a child in a public store. It includes sensitive topics related to child safety, consent, and personal boundaries. Reader discretion is advised.

Kmart shoppers are rallying around a crucial message following a troubling incident in one of the stores.

The unsettling experience has sparked a wave of concern and prompted customers to share their warnings and advice.

As the story gains traction, many are calling for increased awareness and action to ensure a safer shopping environment for all.

Anueta Madison-Vanderbuilt, a Melbourne mum and social justice advocate, experienced every parent's nightmare when a male stranger approached her young son in a Kmart store and attempted to engage in inappropriate physical contact.

The incident unfolded as Madison-Vanderbuilt was shopping with her three children. A man in his 20s, a complete stranger to the family, came unsettlingly close, looked at her ‘dead in the eye’, gestured for silence, and reached out to tickle her eight-year-old son.

Reacting with a mother's instinct, Madison-Vanderbuilt confronted the man with fierce protectiveness.

image (26).jpg
An Australian mum had a distressing experience at Kmart when a stranger tried to tickle her young son. Credit: Tiktok / Anueta Madison-Vanderbuilt

‘So loudly, I said, “What the f*** are you doing? Don’t you dare touch my child,” and pulled the kids close to me,’ the mum-of-three shared on social media.

‘This is a reminder to teach your children that anyone touching them without consent is inappropriate.’

‘And this is the most important. Do not just tell your kids, “That guy's just creepy, walk away, just leave,” or anything like that. You need to call it out.’

‘A bad touch or inappropriate touch is anything that a stranger or a person that has not asked for your consent to do so does. It can be a grandparent, it can be a friend, it can be a teacher or a complete stranger,’ she added.

Madison-Vanderbuilt, herself a survivor of child sexual abuse, urged parents to educate their children about consent and encourage them ‘to be loud, to be crazy, to call it out’.

After addressing the man’s actions, which took place in front of her two other children, aged 13 and 7, Madison-Vanderbuilt said the man claimed he only intended to tickle the boy and hadn't harmed him before leaving the Craigieburn store.

‘I was in shock at first,’ the mum shared.

‘You don't expect someone to stand that close to you. He looked me in the eye and put his hands out to tickle him.’

She stated that the man was coherent and had full cognitive function, indicating he did not have special needs.

According to her, the man also wasn’t from an earlier era with different social norms but a young man in his 20s.

‘I think it’s so important to talk to children as young as possible about their bodies and asking before hugging or high-fiving someone,’ Madison-Vanderbuilt suggested.

‘Making people feel uncomfortable is not ok.’

She mentioned that after the incident, she talked with her three children. While her seven-year-old was ‘scared’ by the event, her son felt ‘angry’.

‘Consent is taught in year 7, but by then, you’re 12 or 13 years old—that’s too late,’ the mum added.

‘It should be taught in daycare. There are age-appropriate ways to discuss it.’

Statistics from child safety advocacy group Bravehearts revealed that over one-third of girls and one-fifth of boys experience child sexual abuse.

Among Australian children who have been sexually abused, three-quarters have endured it more than once.

Additionally, 52 per cent of these cases begin between birth and eight years old.

‘It’s important that young people are equipped with age-appropriate, evidenced-based education that improves their health, safety, wellbeing and dignity,’ a Department of Education spokesperson advised.

‘Teaching consent and respectful relationships education helps students develop the social and emotional skills they need to form healthy relationships and ideas about acceptable behaviour.’

They noted that the federal government allocates $77.6 million to guarantee that students from foundation through year 10 receive education on positive, respectful relationships and consent appropriate for their age.

The response to Madison-Vanderbuilt's story has been one of widespread support and shared concern.

‘Actually in tears,’ one commenter said. ‘I really wish I had someone, a role model to teach me those lessons when I was young.’

‘Tickling is horrible! I have flashbacks as a kid being tickled and not feeling in control and hating it,’ another said.

‘That is so scary,’ a third remarked.

‘This has happened twice to my child,’ someone else shared. ‘I need to work on calling it out, as I have frozen both times.’

While the recent incident at Kmart has highlighted the critical need for education on consent and appropriate behaviour, another pressing issue involving consent is emerging in the digital realm.

As concerns about personal privacy and safety grow, it’s becoming increasingly important to understand how our actions, such as sharing photos of our children online, might impact their privacy and consent in ways we may not fully realise.
Key Takeaways
  • An Australian mum experienced a disturbing encounter at a Kmart store where a male stranger approached and attempted to touch her young son.
  • Anueta Madison-Vanderbuilt, a social justice advocate and survivor of child sexual abuse, emphasised the importance of teaching children about consent and the need to call out inappropriate behavior.
  • Following the incident, she urged for consent education to start from a young age, highlighting that the onset of child sexual abuse often occurs before the age of eight.
  • Social media users supported Madison-Vanderbuilt's message, sharing their own experiences and reinforcing the significance of teaching children about bodily autonomy and consent.
Have you had a similar experience? Do you have thoughts on how others can better protect their children in public spaces? Share your stories and suggestions in the comments below.

Sponsored