Aussie influencer responds after ‘disastrous’ second-hand rug fiasco

Social media influencers have a huge following that extends far beyond their reach to their followers. With one upload of a photo or video, they can boost a company’s brand in an instant.

With this in mind, they have an important responsibility, to be honest and transparent with their audience when it comes to reviewing products or sharing experiences.

Unfortunately, one Aussie influencer recently encountered a lesson in the power of transparency when she attempted to sell a second-hand rug as ‘brand new’ to her followers.

Aussie influencer Sarah Stevenson, who runs @Sarahs_Day account online, came under fire recently after she uploaded a post on Instagram which features the rug’s dimensions with a descriptive note calling the rug ‘basically brand new’.

However, another social media account @AussieInfluencerOpinions pointed out that the rug has appeared in her photos since April 2020.

rug1.jpg
People questioned whether Sarah was telling the truth. Credit: sarahs_day/Instagram

‘We only rolled it out in Foxy‘s upstairs room for a week or so but he didn’t like the pink in it,’ she said in the video.

It was reported that the rug retailed for $849 online in the same size that Sarah was offering. However, it was unclear how much she ended up selling the item for.

Following this ordeal, people flocked to the comments to slam the woman, who had more than a million followers online and a reported net worth of $2 million. Feminist writer Clementine Ford even called her out as a ‘cheapskate’.

‘Presumably, she was given this for product placement? Just give it away,’ she added.

‘Second-hand embarrassment for her,’ another commented.

‘It looks old and gross,’ someone else responded. While one wished for Sarah to just give away the rug for free to someone who could use it.

‘Feel sorry for the poor person who just got stitched up and purchased this off her,’ one wrote.

rug2.jpg
It retails for $849 but it was unclear how much it was sold for. Credit Juno Beni

People also questioned why Sarah even needed to sell the rug given her wealth.

‘She’s buying her dad an Aston Martin and her husband a $200,000 boat. You’d think she could just give it away to charity,’ one stated.

While one said that Sarah selling the rug on her Instagram account ‘drags down her page’ and ‘makes it look a bit cheap and tacky’.

According to her claims, the rug seems to also have been used in other areas of the house aside from her child’s room.

Sarah said that although she’d owned the rug for quite some time now, it had barely been used. Therefore, it was ‘basically brand new’.

Sarah hit back at the criticism and explained her side of the story via a video she uploaded online.

‘First of all, good to see this is newsworthy. There are lots of things going on in Australia at the moment, clearly,’ she said in her video.

Sarah added: ‘Maybe I'm wrong here, but my interpretation of "basically new" is good as new or immaculate condition?’

rug3.jpg
The rug appeared in a photo from 2020. Credit: sarahs_day/Instagram

‘We rolled it out for literally a week. Kurt hated it. Fox hated it. So, we had it in our apartment, we had it out for a little bit, Kurt hated it so we boxed it up,’ she explained.

Sarah mentioned that in their new house, the rug was rolled out in her son’s room but he didn’t like the colour, so they stored it away in their back room instead.

Sarah recalled that her husband wanted her to sell the rug or get rid of it. ‘My sisters didn't want it so I figured I would just sell it, like, I didn't care. I wasn't asking for the price that I bought it for, I was like, yeah, it's basically brand new like name a price and come and pick it up,’ she claimed.

The influencer’s followers jumped to her defence, saying that Sarah should be allowed to sell the rug if she wanted to.

‘It’s so silly, that rug was in great condition. I would not have felt duped,’ one admitted.

Another wrote: ‘I 100% agree with your interpretation of new/basically new. I thought this was common knowledge.’
Key Takeaways
  • Aussie influencer Sarah Stevenson (@Sarahs_Day) has broken her silence after she came under fire online for attempting to sell a secondhand three-year-old rug as 'basically brand new'.
  • Sarah responded to the backlash online, apologised, and clarified that she was offering the rug for a discounted rate.
  • The rug was featured in an Instagram picture from April 2020.
  • People in the comments section questioned why Sarah needed to sell the rug when her net worth was reported to be around $2 million.
What about you, members? What’s your definition of ‘basically brand new’? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
Well.
I have never had any interest whatsoever in the inane meanderings offered by influencers and the ding dong stuff they seem to place value on.
When it comes to this business with the rug, I can only say that the people who decided it would be a good buy don't have the time or inclination to do their own research. Why, oh why, would one want to even consider advice offered by someone who makes money out of thin air. Brand new, or second hand, it is a mystery to me that it would be considered a good buy.
I guess it's all about what you value as being good advice and how much you want to envisage your own style and/or choices. As for me, I am quite happy with the kitchen rug I got from the $2 shop and the only person who influenced that purchase was me.

Social media influencers have a huge following that extends far beyond their reach to their followers. With one upload of a photo or video, they can boost a company’s brand in an instant.

With this in mind, they have an important responsibility, to be honest and transparent with their audience when it comes to reviewing products or sharing experiences.

Unfortunately, one Aussie influencer recently encountered a lesson in the power of transparency when she attempted to sell a second-hand rug as ‘brand new’ to her followers.

Aussie influencer Sarah Stevenson, who runs @Sarahs_Day account online, came under fire recently after she uploaded a post on Instagram which features the rug’s dimensions with a descriptive note calling the rug ‘basically brand new’.

However, another social media account @AussieInfluencerOpinions pointed out that the rug has appeared in her photos since April 2020.

View attachment 13859
People questioned whether Sarah was telling the truth. Credit: sarahs_day/Instagram

‘We only rolled it out in Foxy‘s upstairs room for a week or so but he didn’t like the pink in it,’ she said in the video.

It was reported that the rug retailed for $849 online in the same size that Sarah was offering. However, it was unclear how much she ended up selling the item for.

Following this ordeal, people flocked to the comments to slam the woman, who had more than a million followers online and a reported net worth of $2 million. Feminist writer Clementine Ford even called her out as a ‘cheapskate’.

‘Presumably, she was given this for product placement? Just give it away,’ she added.

‘It looks old and gross,’ someone else responded. While one wished for Sarah to just give away the rug for free to someone who could use it.

‘Feel sorry for the poor person who just got stitched up and purchased this off her,’ one wrote.

View attachment 13860
It retails for $849 but it was unclear how much it was sold for. Credit Juno Beni

‘She’s buying her dad an Aston Martin and her husband a $200,000 boat. You’d think she could just give it away to charity,’ one stated.

While one said that Sarah selling the rug on her Instagram account ‘drags down her page’ and ‘makes it look a bit cheap and tacky’.

According to her claims, the rug seems to also have been used in other areas of the house aside from her child’s room.

Sarah said that although she’d owned the rug for quite some time now, it had barely been used. Therefore, it was ‘basically brand new’.

Sarah hit back at the criticism and explained her side of the story via a video she uploaded online.

‘First of all, good to see this is newsworthy. There are lots of things going on in Australia at the moment, clearly,’ she said in her video.

Sarah added: ‘Maybe I'm wrong here, but my interpretation of "basically new" is good as new or immaculate condition?’

View attachment 13861

‘We rolled it out for literally a week. Kurt hated it. Fox hated it. So, we had it in our apartment, we had it out for a little bit, Kurt hated it so we boxed it up,’ she explained.

Sarah mentioned that in their new house, the rug was rolled out in her son’s room but he didn’t like the colour, so they stored it away in their back room instead.

Sarah recalled that her husband wanted her to sell the rug or get rid of it. ‘My sisters didn't want it so I figured I would just sell it, like, I didn't care. I wasn't asking for the price that I bought it for, I was like, yeah, it's basically brand new like name a price and come and pick it up,’ she claimed.

The influencer’s followers jumped to her defence, saying that Sarah should be allowed to sell the rug if she wanted to.

‘It’s so silly, that rug was in great condition. I would not have felt duped,’ one admitted.

Another wrote: ‘I 100% agree with your interpretation of new/basically new. I thought this was common knowledge.’
Key Takeaways

• Aussie influencer Sarah Stevenson (@Sarahs_Day) has broken her silence after she came under fire online for attempting to sell a secondhand three-year-old rug as 'basically brand new'.
  • Sarah responded to the backlash online, apologised, and clarified that she was offering the rug for a discounted rate.
  • People in the comments section questioned why Sarah needed to sell the rug when her net worth was reported to be around $2 million.
What about you, members? What’s your definition of ‘basically brand new’? Let us know in the comments below!
Used, condition As New.

Reactions: Ricci
I think this is a story of people who have nothing better to do

If I sell something that is used but I have hardly used it I will state. Used but in near new condition.

I think this is like a hate thing.

View attachment 13859

View attachment 13860

View attachment 13861

Key Takeaways

Basically brand new to me means exactly that. To me it means that I bought something & changed my mind because I didn’t like it or it didn’t look good so I’m selling it rather than returning it to the store for a refund. It doesn’t mean I’ve used it, stored it, used it again, stored it again then am selling it to finally get rid of it. Everyone has the right to sell something that they own but call it what it really is please which is “barely used and in almost new condition. “Plus I would have used a different site to sell it.