Aussie grandmother’s real-life scam encounter inspires reel heroics

In a world where the elderly are often seen as vulnerable targets for unscrupulous scammers, one grandmother's story of resilience and empowerment is making waves on the silver screen.

Meet Thelma, a centenarian who, after a close call with a scammer, became the inspiration for a feature film that's equal parts action, comedy, and a poignant reminder of the very real threat of scams.

Josh Margolin, a writer and director, has always held his grandmother Thelma in high regard.

At 104 years old, she's a paragon of independence and tenacity, and her resilience is something Josh has admired and documented over the years, capturing her daily routines and adventures on video.

‘She's had so many illnesses over the course of life that she's beaten,’ Josh shared.

‘It's a testament to her resilience. I've watched her get hit and bounce back, all the way from her 70s into her 80s and 90s and now her hundreds.’

Screenshot 2024-09-12 120031.jpg
At 104, Thelma dodged a $10,000 scam with help from her family. Credit: Instagram / Josh Margolin

Despite her toughness, a few years ago, Thelma fell victim to scammers who demanded thousands of dollars from her.

Josh has transformed his grandmother's experience into a feature film.

Thelma, currently in cinemas, is a heartwarming family action comedy that also serves as a stark reminder of how easily scammers can deceive one.

The real Thelma lived with her husband for nearly 70 years, and his passing in 2013 was the first time she lived alone without family.

One day, she answered the phone to someone pretending to be Josh, who claimed to be in trouble.

The caller, posing as Josh, said he was in jail after being involved in a car accident with a pregnant woman and urgently needed $10,000 for bail.

‘[The scammer] got her into such a panicked state,’ Josh recalled.

‘They had an answer for everything. At one point, I think she even said something like, “You sound funny.” And then they said, “Well, I hurt my nose in the accident.”’

Thelma attempted to call Josh but received no response. Despite the scammer's instructions not to contact Josh's parents due to his supposed embarrassment, she reached out to them anyway.

Josh’s mum also couldn’t get in touch with him, which only deepened Thelma’s growing concern.

‘My grandma had gotten other calls in the past but had never fallen for them. So when she was so confident that this was real, my mum was like, “Wait a minute, did something actually happen?”’ Josh recalled.

‘With each family member that got roped in, it became more real because suddenly they're all reacting to this thing, and it's growing in size and panic.’

With Josh remaining unreachable and his parents' anxiety escalating, Thelma was on the verge of transferring the money.

‘But luckily, they were able to reach my partner, Chloe, who my mum called,’ he said.

‘She said, “Is everything OK?” And my mum said, “No, Josh is in jail.” She said, “He's not, I promise you. He's right here.”’

Thelma barely escaped losing a significant portion of her savings, but Josh noted that the ordeal left her deeply unsettled.

‘She definitely felt taken advantage of. I could see that she was trying to make sense of it all because she felt off her game,’ he shared.

‘I could feel her shame around it, and there is a feeling of being tricked and not wanting to see yourself as somebody who would fall for that because she's survived so much.’

Motivated by the ordeal, Josh penned the script for Thelma, an action-comedy featuring his grandmother as the scooter-riding, scammer-fighting protagonist.

In the film adaptation of her story, Thelma (portrayed by June Squibb) follows the scammer's (played by Fred Hechinger) directions and drops $10,000 in a mailbox.

However, rather than accepting the loss, she embarks on a city-wide quest to track down those who deceived her.

‘There's definitely a version of the movie that is more depressing and looks into some of the realities of these situations: the bureaucratic dead ends and the tragedy of losing money,’ Josh pointed out.

‘But for me, it almost became an excuse to write an ode to my grandmother's grit and determination and her clinging on to her autonomy, even as she was starting to face some of these obstacles.’

He noted that although most scam victims don't get the kind of justice Thelma receives in the film, it was crucial for her character to emerge as the hero.

‘I wanted to give [Thelma] a little more agency in the situation,’ he said.

In 2023, Australians were defrauded of over $2.7 billion by scammers, as reported by the National Anti-Scam Centre.

While the total amount lost to scams decreased slightly from $3.1 billion in 2022 to $2.7 billion in 2023, the financial impact on those aged 65 and over remains unchanged.

This age group continues to suffer the highest losses, with $121 million reported lost last year alone, according to Scamwatch.

Early statistics for 2024 indicate that the situation has not improved.

‘In January to March 2024, people aged 65 and over made the most scam reports this quarter, with reported losses of $21.2 million…[That's] 28.9 per cent of all losses reported to Scamwatch, despite only making up 16 per cent of the population,’ a National Anti-Scam Centre spokesperson reported.

‘Older Australians may be at greater risk of harm, because access to superannuation funds and retirement savings may make people a target for scammers, particularly investment scams.’

The National Anti-Scam Centre offers various resources to help people of all ages recognise and avoid scams, including a podcast and the Little Black Book of Scams guide.

To prevent falling victim to scams like Thelma did, they recommend:

STOP—Do not give money or personal information if you're unsure. Scammers often create a sense of urgency. Take your time, decline the request, hang up, or delete the message.

CHECK—Consider whether the call or text might be a scam. Scammers often impersonate trusted organizations. Verify the legitimacy by contacting the organization directly using independently obtained contact details. Avoid clicking on links in messages.

REPORT—If something seems suspicious, act swiftly. Contact your bank immediately if you lose money. If you’ve shared personal information, call IDCARE at 1800 595 160. Reporting scams to the National Anti-Scam Centre’s Scamwatch at scamwatch.gov.au helps reduce their effectiveness.

The harrowing experience of Thelma, as depicted in the film Thelma, sheds light on the all-too-real dangers of phone scams targeting seniors.

This highlights the importance of vigilance and proactive measures to protect ourselves and our loved ones from such deceitful schemes.

In a similar vein, a recent story underscores the crucial role of vigilant individuals in safeguarding seniors.

A police officer's quick thinking and bravery in thwarting a scam attempt serve as a powerful reminder of the impact one person can have in the fight against fraud.

Both narratives emphasise the need for awareness and action in combating the rise of scams affecting our senior community.
Key Takeaways
  • Thelma, a 104-year-old grandmother, avoided falling victim to a scam demanding $10,000 thanks to her family's intervention.
  • Josh Margolin, Thelma's grandson, was inspired by the scam event to create a feature film where she is portrayed as a scam-hunting hero.
  • Australian over-65s continue to be the demographic most affected by scams, with significant financial losses reported.
  • The National Anti-Scam Centre advised people to stop and think before giving out money or personal information, to check the authenticity of requests by contacting organisations directly, and to report any scams to authorities.
So, dear members of the Seniors Discount Club, let's take a page out of Thelma's book—both the real and the reel versions—and remain steadfast in our resolve to outsmart those who would try to take advantage of us.

Have you encountered a similar scam? How did you handle it? What are your tips to avoid falling victim to this type of scheme?

Share your thoughts and experiences with scams in the comments below, and let's continue the conversation to keep our community informed and empowered.

Sponsored