Aussie dish now too pricey? See if you're about to be priced out!

It's a simple pleasure that's as Australian as a sunny day at the beach or a backyard cricket match – a piping hot serving of chips. But it seems that even this quintessential Aussie snack isn't immune to the economic pressures that are hitting Australians hard, especially our seniors who often have to make their dollars stretch further.

Recently, a photo of a serving of hot chips from a café on NSW’s mid-North coast sparked outrage online. The portion was small, and the price was anything but: $10 for what many would consider less than a snack-sized serving. The customer's post on a local Facebook group quickly became a rallying cry for frustrated Aussies everywhere, with many echoing the sentiment that the cost of living is spiraling out of control.

1720675406730.png
Hot chips, a popular Australian dish, have become too expensive for many Australians. Credit: Facebook

The café's response? A somewhat unsatisfying explanation that they had reduced serving sizes due to the current economic climate. This did little to quell the disappointment of customers who feel that the value of their hard-earned money is diminishing.

And it's not just one isolated incident. From Sydney to Brisbane, stories are emerging of hot chip servings shrinking while prices soar. One Sydney diner lamented a $16.10 bowl of 'sauce-less' chips, while a Brisbane pub-goer was dismayed to find that a $14 serving of chips came with an additional $2 charge for sauce.

This isn't just about chips, of course. It's indicative of a broader trend where the cost of everyday items and leisure activities is becoming increasingly unaffordable for many Australians. The humble takeaway coffee has also seen its price skyrocket, with one East Melbourne café charging an eye-watering $8.18 for a medium almond milk cappuccino over a public holiday weekend.

Richard Forbes, the chief executive of Independent Food Distributors Australia, has warned that we could see a $10 cup of coffee on the horizon if business costs continue to rise unchecked. His members, who supply food to thousands of venues across the country, have seen a 30 percent increase in food costs over the last three years.

For our members at the Seniors Discount Club, these price hikes are more than just an annoyance; they're a serious concern. Fixed incomes and tight budgets mean that the joys of sharing a meal out with family or grabbing a coffee with friends are becoming luxuries rather than everyday occurrences.

So, what can we do about it? While we may not have control over the economy, we can make our voices heard. If you feel you're not getting value for money, don't be afraid to speak up and let the business know. Many establishments are willing to listen to feedback and may adjust their offerings accordingly.

Moreover, it's worth keeping an eye out for special deals and discounts. Many cafes and eateries offer seniors discounts or have 'happy hour' deals that can make eating out more affordable. And don't forget to share your finds with the community – if you discover a place that offers great value, let your fellow members know!

In the meantime, we can also get creative at home. Making your own batch of hot chips can be a fun and cost-effective way to enjoy this Aussie favourite. Plus, it's an opportunity to gather the family around for some cooking and quality time together.
Key Takeaways
  • Hot chips, a popular Australian dish, have seen a price increase to the extent that many Australians can no longer afford them.
  • A social media post of a $10 serving of hot chips, considered meagre, prompted public outrage and highlighted the issue.
  • Rising prices have not just affected hot chips but other dining and takeaway experiences, such as coffee, across Australia.
  • Experts warn that the increasing cost of business is driving up food prices, potentially leading to even more expensive everyday items if nothing is done to control costs.
We'd love to hear from you, our valued members. Have you noticed a rise in the cost of your favourite dishes or snacks? How are you adapting to these changes? Share your experiences and tips in the comments below. Let's support each other through these challenging times and keep the tradition of enjoying life's simple pleasures alive.

Sponsored
Over the recent school holidays, as a treat, I bought $6.00 worth of chips for my grandsons for lunch from a fish & chip shop. There are numerous take away shop along this water front and I went into the one that was the least busiest. Both the boys are big eaters and yet could not get through them all, consequently there was enough chips left over that I was able to have a feed as well. I think it might depend on where you buy your chips from. Will certainly be going back to this store again if I decide to buy fast food again.

Guess they will be blaming ALP's Albo for that too, the fridee humble fish and chips becoming beyond reach. All these suppliers and establishments getting on the cost of living band wagon, greed is all it is, pure greed.
And the Government (As you rightly point out, ALBO'S) could do something to combat this blatant greed.
GIVE ALBO -- THE ELBOW

And the Government (As you rightly point out, ALBO'S) could do something to combat this blatant greed.
GIVE ALBO -- THE ELBOW
Greed is a human trait, like envy, I guess he could arrange for all to visit a phsyco

I don't eat any take away food. I certainly wouldn't pay $10 for hot chips. I could buy a kilo of spuds for $2:99 and make my own. Also l can buy a box of Moccona cappuccino sachets of 30 for $12:00.
I would not pay $8:00 for a coffee.
Totally over the top.
Kind regards to all Vicki

• Love
Reactions: Veggiepatch
Over the recent school holidays, as a treat, I bought $6.00 worth of chips for my grandsons for lunch from a fish & chip shop. There are numerous take away shop along this water front and I went into the one that was the least busiest. Both the boys are big eaters and yet could not get through them all, consequently there was enough chips left over that I was able to have a feed as well. I think it might depend on where you buy your chips from. Will certainly be going back to this store again if I decide to buy fast food again.
So where is this shop?

If that cafe cannot manage finances better than that, it should be closed - $10 for such a tiny serving of chips is never necessary, it is due to ineffective management which over charging will not fix.