Aussie dietitian exposes budget supermarket foods to avoid

As we navigate the aisles of our local supermarkets, the array of choices can be overwhelming, especially when we're trying to balance our budgets with the desire to eat healthily.

With the cost of living on the rise, it's tempting to reach for the cheapest items on the shelf, but according to one Sydney-based dietitian, this could be a false economy when it comes to our health and wellbeing.

Susie Burrell, a respected Aussie dietitian, shared her insights on which budget supermarket foods she avoids and why she believes that investing a little more in certain items is worth it for the nutritional benefits they offer.

As members of the Seniors Discount Club, we're always looking for ways to make our dollars stretch further, but not at the expense of our health. So let's delve into Susie's recommendations and see how we can apply her advice to our shopping habits.

compressed-choosing-cheese.jpeg
A Sydney-based dietitian stated that it is worth buying expensive but nutritious food. Image source: Freepik

When it comes to proteins, Susie is adamant about choosing quality over quantity.

She splurges on lean meats such as steak, lamb fillets, extra-lean mince, and Tassal salmon.

These choices are not only lower in fat but also packed with essential nutrients.

Susie warned against budget-friendly fatty meats like pork belly, regular mince, and chicken drumsticks and wings, which may be cheaper but are also higher in fat and lower in protein.

She also has a keen eye for the crackers aisle. She opts for high-quality options with grains, such as Vita Wheat 9-grain biscuits, which boast a 'clean' ingredient list free from vegetable oils and refined flours.

Susie explained: ‘Most commercial crackers have a base of white flour and vegetable oil, which is generally palm oil. This mix of refined flour and processed oil offers nothing positive nutritionally.’

Breakfast cereals are another area where Susie doesn't cut corners. She prefers brands like Multigrain Weetbix or Carman's fruit-free granola, which contain less sugar and are rich in nutritious grains and seeds.

These cereals not only taste great but also keep you feeling full longer, helping you avoid the temptation of snacking on less healthy options throughout the morning.

When it comes to bread, Susie's go-to is dense grain loaves like Burgen Soy Lin bread.

She advised against gluten-free products unless medically necessary, as they can be highly processed. Instead, she recommended wholegrain options that are more nutrient-dense.

Susie also ranked the top eight supermarket breads based on their nutritional value.

Screenshot 2024-06-07 110505.png
Burgen Soy & Linseed Low Gi Sliced Bread Loaf, $5.90. Image source: Woolworths

In the fresh produce section, Susie is all about in-season fruits and vegetables, which are not only more flavorful but also packed with vitamins and minerals.

She highlighted oranges, kiwis, and greens like broccoli, which can be bought fresh or frozen to boost nutrient intake, especially during the colder months.

She stated: ‘All fruit is good for us, especially Vitamin C-rich options like citrus and kiwi, but watch out for juices and dried fruit which is a lot more concentrated.’

Lastly, Susie doesn't skimp on stock, an essential ingredient for hearty winter soups.

She prefers brands like Maggie Beer, which may be pricier but contain less salt and fewer additives.

So, dear members, while it might seem counterintuitive to spend more on certain items at the supermarket, Susie Burrell's advice highlights the importance of investing in our health through the foods we eat.

By choosing quality proteins, whole grains, and nutrient-rich produce, we're not only nourishing our bodies but also potentially reducing future healthcare costs by maintaining a healthier lifestyle.
Key Takeaways
  • A leading Australian dietitian, Susie Burrell, advised against purchasing budget versions of certain food items due to nutritional and quality concerns.
  • Susie highlighted the importance of investing in lean proteins, such as extra-lean mince and salmon, as well as high-quality grains in items like crackers and breakfast cereals.
  • The dietitian recommended steering clear of highly processed items and fatty meats, opting instead for dense grain bread and nutrient-rich, in-season fruit and vegetables.
  • When it comes to stocks and other ingredients that can be used in cooking and meal preparation, Susie prefers products with lower salt content and fewer additives, such as those from the Maggie Beer range.
We'd love to hear from you about your own supermarket strategies. Do you have any tips for balancing the budget with nutritional needs? Have you found certain splurges at the grocery store that are worth the extra penny for your health? Share your experiences in the comments below!

Sponsored
Due to financial limitations we have to buy the cheaper cuts of meat, chicken ,breads etc. We can't afford to purchase the items Susie is recommending.. So it looks like we will be eating unhealthly and frankly I don't give a damn. It is better to eat a chicken leg then no protein at all. So sick of these rich dieticians preaching what we should be eating

I wanted to put a laugh emoji on there, but there wasn't one. Is this person unaware of huge increases in meat, vegetables, fruit & other foods? In my dreams, I would be eating steak, lamb fillets extra lean mince, salmon & Maggie Beer's stock. In my reality, I'm eating fatty pork belly, Chicken drumsticks & wings. I now buy frozen vegetables which I dislike. The cost of vegetables are skyrocketing. I used to make my own tomato soup. Unfortunately the cost of tomatoes make them out of my reach. Instead, I buy canned tomato soup. The cost of pet food has always risen. I have 2 dogs & 2 cats & my kids always come first. Whatever money that I have left over after paying my bills, is mine. Instead, I make casseroles with the forbidden meats mentioned. This is the reality of living on a pension.

I buy Quinoa and microwave it for 10 minutes. One cup lasts for a week. Low calories, no sugar and no preservatives. Add a dash of coconut milk, heat in microwave and add fruit and cinnamon. Yummy. A bag is about $8 but it makes about 3 weeks of breakfast and super healthy.

Reactions: Cheezil
Susie spoon who is probably on $100,000 a year.
The day I can afford lean everything, and any kind of salmon at all, is when I have come into an unexpected windfall. These people are not living in the real world.
A doctor once said to me, you might not have such a problem with Gourd if you eat Gluten free. That means, Gluten free for me and normal for everyone else. I told him it was economically impossible on our budget. He looked at me as if I was speaking Martian.

Due to financial limitations we have to buy the cheaper cuts of meat, chicken ,breads etc. We can't afford to purchase the items Susie is recommending.. So it looks like we will be eating unhealthly and frankly I don't give a damn. It is better to eat a chicken leg then no protein at all. So sick of these rich dieticians preaching what we should be eating
I support everything you’ve just stated. I too cannot afford what Susie suggests.
I eat mince mostly but add it with vegetables it becomes a meal for 4-6 people. Perfect.

I wanted to put a laugh emoji on there, but there wasn't one. Is this person unaware of huge increases in meat, vegetables, fruit & other foods? In my dreams, I would be eating steak, lamb fillets extra lean mince, salmon & Maggie Beer's stock. In my reality, I'm eating fatty pork belly, Chicken drumsticks & wings. I now buy frozen vegetables which I dislike. The cost of vegetables are skyrocketing. I used to make my own tomato soup. Unfortunately the cost of tomatoes make them out of my reach. Instead, I buy canned tomato soup. The cost of pet food has always risen. I have 2 dogs & 2 cats & my kids always come first. Whatever money that I have left over after paying my bills, is mine. Instead, I make casseroles with the forbidden meats mentioned. This is the reality of living on a pension.
I put one up there for you.

Reactions: Veggiepatch
Let them eat cake

Reactions: elaine41
Susie spoon who is probably on $100,000 a year.
The day I can afford lean everything, and any kind of salmon at all, is when I have come into an unexpected windfall. These people are not living in the real world.
A doctor once said to me, you might not have such a problem with Gourd if you eat Gluten free. That means, Gluten free for me and normal for everyone else. I told him it was economically impossible on our budget. He looked at me as if I was speaking Martian.
Don't touch fish farm salmon. It's full of assorted stuff that is not good for you.

Totally agree, worded so much better than I what I was thinking! Suzie obviously earns a lot more than I do!

Reactions: MariaG
Don't touch fish farm salmon. It's full of assorted stuff that is not good for you.
Steroids/chemicals (as per processed chickens) to make them put on weight quickly for market/killing

Suzie is so out of touch with most of us here it seems! Obviously earns a lot more than moost of us

I work part time/casual & on my wage/budget there is rarely any meat at all for me, even the budget cuts are often unaffordable (my dog gets more meat than i do-& that is offal mixed with canned dog food & boiled brocolli stems & cauliflower leaves & the vegie scraps all mixed together)!

If this style of eating is detrimental to my health there is fk all I can do about it I'm afraid as i cant afford health insurance either my whole life, so if I get ill the instructions will be "just shoot me" (euthanasia, seriously)
Worked hard all my life, paid a fortune in taxes, etc & this is the reality of how I live in my 60s & beyond! Winging it, but still fit & healthy compared to many my age!

Reactions: MariaG
Tassal Smoked Salmon - $60 a kilo! Suzie the Floozie, have you considered that this fish is PROCESSED!

Give me fresh fish from the markets at a third of the price!
It used to be $17.99/kg ay Aldi..... no more salmon for me.... I used to have it 2-3 times a week.....
I wonder if the have noticed a dip in sales.....