• 2 bay leaf
  • 1 pinch sea salt and cracked pepper *to taste
  • 1/4 cup cold water
  • 1 tbs cornflour
  • 2 sheets puff pastry defrosted
  • 1 egg lightly beaten
  • 1 tomato sauce *to serve

Method​

1. In a heavy-based saucepan, heat the oil and cook the steak until sealed and browned. Transfer to a bowl.
  2. Add the vegetables and fry until translucent, about 5 minutes. Return the beef to the pan and add the paprika and tomato paste. Stir through
  3. Add all the remaining ingredients except for the cornflour and water, pastry and beaten egg. Simmer mix for 45 minutes. Combine water and cornflour and stir through mixture. Simmer until thick. Allow to cool and refrigerate overnight.
  4. The next day, preheat the oven to 220°C or 200 °C fan-forced. Lightly grease a round glass pie dish and line with a sheet of puff pastry. Fill with the beef filling and top with a second pastry sheet. Crimp the two sheets together with a fork and cut away the excess pastry. Prick some holes in the top of the pie to allow air to escape and brush the top with beaten egg.
  5. Bake for 45 minutes or until top and bottom of pie are golden (it helps to use a glass dish so you can see this happening). If the pie browns too quickly on top, cover with foil.
  6. Allow the pie to cool for 10 minutes or so before cutting and serving with tomato sauce and any veg you prefer. For me, its steamed peas and mashed potato. Enjoy

NOTES​

The filling needs to be refridgerated overnight to ensure the pie isn’t soggy. I had always wondered why my pie came out uniformly soft on the bottom until I came across this tip! That way, the mixture thickens and sets and then you cook the entire pie from cold rather than a cold pie/hot filling combo. The recipe is quite liquid-heavy. And I’m imagining a side effect would be the flavours developing more.

Last edited:
Sponsored