Attention Westpac customers: Major changes to debit cards coming, including new $1000 withdrawal limit and more

As the world moves further away from cash transactions and embraces digital payment options, major Australian banks are keeping up with the pace and making changes accordingly.

For Westpac customers, take note: some significant changes have been made to your debit cards, including a new $1000 withdrawal limit.

Westpac has announced some significant updates, coming into effect on August 20, capping the default cash withdrawal limit at $1000, reflecting dwindling levels of cash withdrawals across the country.

Furthermore, transaction limits for 'credit' payments are now capped at a default of $8000, whereas previously, the limit for tapping, inserting, or making online payments was the customer's available balance.

But fret not, these default limits aren't set in stone. Westpac customers will still have the option to set different cash withdrawal limits depending on their individual needs.

Customers who wish to adjust their debit card limits can do so via the Westpac App, online, over the phone at 1300 655 505, or by visiting their branch in person.

compressed-Screen Shot 2023-06-23 at 10.05.03 AM.jpeg
Westpac has enforced a $1000 default cash withdrawal limit and an $8000 transaction limit on debit cards amid declining cash withdrawals. Credit: Shutterstock.

The Reserve Bank of Australia (RBA) has recently revealed significant changes in cash transactions within the country. In their June report titled 'Cash Use and Attitudes in Australia June 2023 Bulletin', the RBA found that cash usage has sharply declined.

According to the report, most Australians are now categorised as 'low cash users'. This means that 72% of the population relies on cash for only 20% or fewer in-person transactions. This percentage has increased from 50% in 2019, indicating a notable shift in consumer behaviour.

Conversely, the number of 'high cash users' has plummeted. These individuals, who previously accounted for 14% of the population in 2019, now represent 7% of Australians—highlighting the diminishing popularity of cash as a preferred payment method.

FIS, a financial tech company located overseas, conducted a survey comparing cash usage across 40 countries. The results revealed that Australians rank among the lowest cash users globally, second only to Norwegians. In the Asia Pacific, Australia claimed the lowest cash usage, with cash payments representing only 6% of point-of-sale transactions.

Other nearby countries aren't far behind in adopting digital and electronic payment systems. New Zealand, China, and South Korea reported cash payment levels of 7%, 8%, and 11%, respectively—revealing that these countries have also embraced the convenience of digital transactions.

The future is becoming increasingly cashless, with Westpac's withdrawal limit changes consistent with other Australian banks. The Commonwealth Bank has a $1000 withdrawal limit, which can be increased to $2000, while ANZ and NAB offer limits of $1000 and $2000, respectively.

Under current federal legislation, businesses must submit a Threshold Transaction Report (TTR) whenever providing a service that involves the transfer of $10,000 or the foreign currency equivalent.

These TTRs are enforced by the government to help detect and disrupt criminal and terrorist activity, illustrating the changes in how we handle money.

compressed-Screen Shot 2023-06-23 at 10.05.11 AM.jpeg
Australians are among the lowest cash users in the world. Credit: Unsplash/Jonas Leupe.

Today's digital payment options available to customers include mobile wallets, such as Apple Pay and Google Pay, contactless cards, and online banking and bill payments. While these changes may seem daunting, Aussies can reap the benefits of digital payments with a few simple tips.

By setting up digital banking, you can manage your account easily—just make sure to use strong and unique passwords for added security. Additionally, familiarise yourself with contactless payments using your card or mobile wallet for a more seamless shopping experience.

However, it's essential to acknowledge the potential drawbacks of an increasingly cashless society, such as privacy concerns and the risk of leaving behind those without digital access.

Key Takeaways

• Westpac has enforced a $1000 default cash withdrawal limit and an $8000 transaction limit on debit cards amid declining cash withdrawals in Australia.
  • The Reserve Bank of Australia found that 72% of Australians are 'low cash users', using cash for 20% or less of their in-person transactions.
  • A survey by a financial tech company found that Australians are among the lowest cash users in the world, only surpassed by Norwegians.
  • Westpac customers can change their debit card limits after August 20 on the Westpac App, online, over the phone, or by visiting staff at a branch.

With the world's ongoing transition towards digital payment options, we will inevitably witness similar changes in the future.

If you happen to be a Westpac customer or banking with another institution implementing such updates, it's important to acquaint yourself with these changes and make any necessary adjustments to ensure a seamless banking experience.

Who knows? In the not-too-distant future, we might find ourselves nostalgic for when we used to carry coins and dollar notes in our wallets.

We'd love to hear your opinions on these changes, members. Have you also adopted digital and cashless payments, or do you still prefer using physical cash for transactions? Share your thoughts with us in the comments section below!

• Angry
Reactions: Lesle and Tipsy
Sponsored
I still like to carry some cash with me, some retailers only accept cash. What happens if there ie a power outage? No access to your funds if it is all digital and there are a lot of older folk who have not embraced the digital age

Maybe they should set up limits on all transactions including online and transferring money. Maybe set up when you need to withdrew, pay or transfer that you need to add a security code that is sent to your phone.

Limits on withdrawal I actually think is a good idea for security.

Reactions: Jennylolo
As the world moves further away from cash transactions and embraces digital payment options, major Australian banks are keeping up with the pace and making changes accordingly.

For Westpac customers, take note: some significant changes have been made to your debit cards, including a new $1000 withdrawal limit.

Westpac has announced some significant updates, coming into effect on August 20, capping the default cash withdrawal limit at $1000, reflecting dwindling levels of cash withdrawals across the country.

Furthermore, transaction limits for 'credit' payments are now capped at a default of $8000, whereas previously, the limit for tapping, inserting, or making online payments was the customer's available balance.

But fret not, these default limits aren't set in stone. Westpac customers will still have the option to set different cash withdrawal limits depending on their individual needs.

Customers who wish to adjust their debit card limits can do so via the Westpac App, online, over the phone at 1300 655 505, or by visiting their branch in person.

View attachment 23146
Westpac has enforced a $1000 default cash withdrawal limit and an $8000 transaction limit on debit cards amid declining cash withdrawals. Credit: Shutterstock.

The Reserve Bank of Australia (RBA) has recently revealed significant changes in cash transactions within the country. In their June report titled 'Cash Use and Attitudes in Australia June 2023 Bulletin', the RBA found that cash usage has sharply declined.

According to the report, most Australians are now categorised as 'low cash users'. This means that 72% of the population relies on cash for only 20% or fewer in-person transactions. This percentage has increased from 50% in 2019, indicating a notable shift in consumer behaviour.

Conversely, the number of 'high cash users' has plummeted. These individuals, who previously accounted for 14% of the population in 2019, now represent 7% of Australians—highlighting the diminishing popularity of cash as a preferred payment method.

FIS, a financial tech company located overseas, conducted a survey comparing cash usage across 40 countries. The results revealed that Australians rank among the lowest cash users globally, second only to Norwegians. In the Asia Pacific, Australia claimed the lowest cash usage, with cash payments representing only 6% of point-of-sale transactions.

Other nearby countries aren't far behind in adopting digital and electronic payment systems. New Zealand, China, and South Korea reported cash payment levels of 7%, 8%, and 11%, respectively—revealing that these countries have also embraced the convenience of digital transactions.

The future is becoming increasingly cashless, with Westpac's withdrawal limit changes consistent with other Australian banks. The Commonwealth Bank has a $1000 withdrawal limit, which can be increased to $2000, while ANZ and NAB offer limits of $1000 and $2000, respectively.

Under current federal legislation, businesses must submit a Threshold Transaction Report (TTR) whenever providing a service that involves the transfer of $10,000 or the foreign currency equivalent.

These TTRs are enforced by the government to help detect and disrupt criminal and terrorist activity, illustrating the changes in how we handle money.

View attachment 23147
Australians are among the lowest cash users in the world. Credit: Unsplash/Jonas Leupe.

Today's digital payment options available to customers include mobile wallets, such as Apple Pay and Google Pay, contactless cards, and online banking and bill payments. While these changes may seem daunting, Aussies can reap the benefits of digital payments with a few simple tips.

By setting up digital banking, you can manage your account easily—just make sure to use strong and unique passwords for added security. Additionally, familiarise yourself with contactless payments using your card or mobile wallet for a more seamless shopping experience.

However, it's essential to acknowledge the potential drawbacks of an increasingly cashless society, such as privacy concerns and the risk of leaving behind those without digital access.

Key Takeaways

• Westpac has enforced a $1000 default cash withdrawal limit and an $8000 transaction limit on debit cards amid declining cash withdrawals in Australia.
  • The Reserve Bank of Australia found that 72% of Australians are 'low cash users', using cash for 20% or less of their in-person transactions.
  • A survey by a financial tech company found that Australians are among the lowest cash users in the world, only surpassed by Norwegians.
  • Westpac customers can change their debit card limits after August 20 on the Westpac App, online, over the phone, or by visiting staff at a branch.

With the world's ongoing transition towards digital payment options, we will inevitably witness similar changes in the future.

If you happen to be a Westpac customer or banking with another institution implementing such updates, it's important to acquaint yourself with these changes and make any necessary adjustments to ensure a seamless banking experience.

Who knows? In the not-too-distant future, we might find ourselves nostalgic for when we used to carry coins and dollar notes in our wallets.

We'd love to hear your opinions on these changes, members. Have you also adopted digital and cashless payments, or do you still prefer using physical cash for transactions? Share your thoughts with us in the comments section below!
Yes banks would love us to go “cashless” as they make extra revenue by surcharges on cards…just another way to rip people off.
START USING CASH ONLY

Oh god, don't get me started......I'm a 'physical cash' kinda gal, through and through!!! I like to see how much I am spending and what I have left, to see me through to my next centrelink payment. I like to slip the kids a bit of cash now and then too!
There are reasons for everything and going cashless takes that control away from us and it costs us more of our money in the long term, ie., fees and charges!!

Maybe they should set up limits on all transactions including online and transferring money. Maybe set up when you need to withdrew, pay or transfer that you need to add a security code that is sent to your phone.

Limits on withdrawal I actually think is a good idea for security.
It may have escaped your attention, but there are already daily limits on cash transfers! Mine is currently set at $2,000 per day, but when I need to transfer larger amounts I can increase the limit up to $10,000. If I need an even larger amount, I can contact the bank to increase it to the level I need.

A few months ago, I made a $10,000 loan to my son by transferring the amount to his bank account. I was able to do this with a single transaction by setting my limit to the maximum and then reducing it again the following day. I did the same when I needed to transfer the deposit for a purchase of land to my solicitor's trust account, on that occasion I went to a bank branch to arrange it. If the limits were set too low, I would have had to make several transactions! Thanks, but NO THANKS!

Last edited:
Reactions: Thecheesequeen
Yes banks would love us to go “cashless” as they make extra revenue by surcharges on cards…just another way to rip people off.
START USING CASH ONLY
You can avoid getting charged for credit cards, even if it means to walk out of a shop without completing a purchase - there is nothing I want so badly in this world (flights unfortunately excluded) that I will pay credit card surchages in shops. My Westpac credit card is also a debit card that is linked to my savings account, so when I shop at Aldi for example, I don't tap but insert the card and select "savings" to access my savings account. No fee.

I have been known to walk out of shops that refuse to accept card.

You can avoid getting charged for credit cards, even if it means to walk out of a shop without completing a purchase - there is nothing I want so badly in this world (flights unfortunately excluded) that I will pay credit card surchages in shops. My Westpac credit card is also a debit card that is linked to my savings account, so when I shop at Aldi for example, I don't tap but insert the card and select "savings" to access my savings account. No fee.

I have been known to walk out of shops that refuse to accept card.
One of my local shops recently advised that they would be charging a fee for using any type of card. Their reason? They have to pay 20c for every transaction on a cashcard & higher on credit card. Since I always used my cashcard in their store I replied to them that I would no longer be shopping at their store as I would not be covering their bank charges.

View attachment 23146

View attachment 23147

Key Takeaways

Seeing that a debit card only accesses my own money I can see no justification for placing a limit on it apart from the extent of my funds

Reactions: Disnne and Gaena
I won't be using credit/debit cards only. I will withdraw what I need in cash and if the store will not take cash then I will shop elsewhere. I recently went to buy a small kitchen gadget from a kitchenware store and it was card only so I just said no sale and walked out. This really all started when we had Covid and now everything is blamed on Covid

One of my local shops recently advised that they would be charging a fee for using any type of card. Their reason? They have to pay 20c for every transaction on a cashcard & higher on credit card. Since I always used my cashcard in their store I replied to them that I would no longer be shopping at their store as I would not be covering their bank charges.
Not if you make an EFTPOS transaction from your SAVINGS ACCOUNT! If they try to charge on an EFTPOS transaction, make a complaint to the Australian Financial Complaints Autority! Also stop shopping there.

Reactions: Reaper123

View attachment 23146

View attachment 23147

Key Takeaways

Its our money and we should have the right to do what ever we want with it as we please.... No bank or anyone else for that matter is going to tell me what I can and cant do with my money....

• Haha
Reactions: Disnne and Trudi
They are paying the extra for you to be able to use your card, I don't mind paying the fee for my convenience. It's either that, or prices will increase overall.

I won't be using credit/debit cards only. I will withdraw what I need in cash and if the store will not take cash then I will shop elsewhere. I recently went to buy a small kitchen gadget from a kitchenware store and it was card only so I just said no sale and walked out. This really all started when we had Covid and now everything is blamed on Covid
That’s because the banks found they were on a good thing. When you’re on a good thing stick to it.

I still like to carry some cash with me, some retailers only accept cash. What happens if there ie a power outage? No access to your funds if it is all digital and there are a lot of older folk who have not embraced the digital age
its not just a power outage that same goes if the internet is down.

Once we are a cashless society the banks will charge more and more for card transactions. I also have to wonder how children will learn the value of a dollar, and how will their school lunches be paid for or the treat they want from the school canteen?

It is my money why should the banks dictate what amount you can withdraw I don’t think it’s very fair