Attention! This life-saving code revealed by a former paramedic could save your life when you can't speak on the phone

We live in a world of technology, convenience and speed—however, while having access to helpful features like emergency hotlines can make our lives a lot easier, some may not be aware of lesser-known methods they can use in the case of trouble.

An ex-paramedic has revealed the two-digit code that could save your life when you cannot communicate verbally during an emergency. This information is especially crucial for those living alone.

Nikki Jurcutz, who proudly served with Ambulance Victoria for eight years, seems to have made it her mission to share life-saving advice.

The founder of Tiny Hearts Education, a children's safety organisation, released a video on social media on what you should do if you are unable to speak but in dire need of emergency assistance.

FB resize 122.jpg
Nikki Jurcutz, a former paramedic, shared a life-saving tip for those in an emergency alone. Credit: @tinyheartseducation/TikTok

'Imagine the scenario: You're choking, and there's no one around to help you. What do you do?' she began, noting that her dear mum had been victim to this horrifying scenario just last week.

The circumstances she illustrates are, without a doubt, panic-inducing. But dear members, we must keep calm and remember her vital advice. Your first line of defence is to dial triple-0, Australia's emergency hotline.

Nikki continued, 'Although you'll be unable to talk, they'll eventually ask you to press 55 to indicate that you need help.'

When unable to talk due to injury, distress or danger, your call will be redirected to an Interactive Voice Response system.

It will instruct you to dial 55, connecting you directly to the police. They will attempt a return call or visit your location to assess the situation.

But remember, if you fail to dial 55 when prompted, the call will sadly be disconnected. While this may come as a disappointment to some, this mechanism sorts out unnecessary triple-0 calls.

Following the phone call, Nikki advises those choking alone to attempt to clear the obstruction with a forceful cough.

'The next thing on your list is to cough that obstruction up,' she asserted.

'Make a fist and place it slightly above your belly, and place your other hand on top. Look for a sturdy, appropriately-heightened object that you can lean over,’ she explained.

‘Once situated, forcefully push down. Continue these motions until your airway is clear.'

Nikki's video has been viewed over 125,000 times. Countless viewers have voiced their gratitude, with some even sharing their frightening choking anecdotes.

‘Thank you for this awesome advice!’ a commenter wrote.

‘This happened to me. Luckily, I panicked. Ran up some steps and tripped. The force of the fall dislodged the bread I was choking on,’ one user commented.

Another person shared: ‘This happened to me while I was driving, I pulled over and thought I was going to die.’

A fourth person pointed out: ‘Maybe unlock the door too to allow assistance to help.’

You can watch Nikki’s video here:

Key Takeaways
  • A former paramedic has shared the two-digit code to use if you cannot speak during a triple-0 emergency call.
  • Nikki Jurcutz, a former paramedic for Ausambulance Victoria, explained that you should press 55 to let the operator know you need help.
  • The call will then be transferred to an Interactive Voice Response system where you'll be asked to dial 55, connecting you to the police.
  • Jurcutz's video, which also includes advice on how to clear an obstruction if you are choking and alone, has been viewed more than 125,000 times.

Members, should you find yourself choking while alone, dial triple-0 immediately.

Attempt to summon help if possible and stay calm. Try to remove the obstruction with a forceful cough. Implement Nikki's self-performed chest thrust method to dislodge the obstruction.

What do you think of this story, members? Have you, or anyone you know, been in a similar situation? Share your experiences in the comments below!

Sponsored
Good to know there is such a thing.
Another thing that I did years ago was to put my primary contact on my mobile with the name ICE.
I was told that it means In Case of Emergency. So I have hubby there as ICE John and his number.
You still have to be awake enough to unlock the mobile. But if you cannot talk, it's handy to have this just in case.

We live in a world of technology, convenience and speed—however, while having access to helpful features like emergency hotlines can make our lives a lot easier, some may not be aware of lesser-known methods they can use in the case of trouble.

An ex-paramedic has revealed the two-digit code that could save your life when you cannot communicate verbally during an emergency. This information is especially crucial for those living alone.

Nikki Jurcutz, who proudly served with Ambulance Victoria for eight years, seems to have made it her mission to share life-saving advice.

The founder of Tiny Hearts Education, a children's safety organisation, released a video on social media on what you should do if you are unable to speak but in dire need of emergency assistance.

View attachment 29258
Nikki Jurcutz, a former paramedic, shared a life-saving tip for those in an emergency alone. Credit: @tinyheartseducation/TikTok

'Imagine the scenario: You're choking, and there's no one around to help you. What do you do?' she began, noting that her dear mum had been victim to this horrifying scenario just last week.

The circumstances she illustrates are, without a doubt, panic-inducing. But dear members, we must keep calm and remember her vital advice. Your first line of defence is to dial triple-0, Australia's emergency hotline.

Nikki continued, 'Although you'll be unable to talk, they'll eventually ask you to press 55 to indicate that you need help.'

When unable to talk due to injury, distress or danger, your call will be redirected to an Interactive Voice Response system.

It will instruct you to dial 55, connecting you directly to the police. They will attempt a return call or visit your location to assess the situation.

But remember, if you fail to dial 55 when prompted, the call will sadly be disconnected. While this may come as a disappointment to some, this mechanism sorts out unnecessary triple-0 calls.

Following the phone call, Nikki advises those choking alone to attempt to clear the obstruction with a forceful cough.

'Make a fist and place it slightly above your belly, and place your other hand on top. Look for a sturdy, appropriately-heightened object that you can lean over,’ she explained.

‘Once situated, forcefully push down. Continue these motions until your airway is clear.'

Nikki's video has been viewed over 125,000 times. Countless viewers have voiced their gratitude, with some even sharing their frightening choking anecdotes.

‘This happened to me. Luckily, I panicked. Ran up some steps and tripped. The force of the fall dislodged the bread I was choking on,’ one user commented.

Another person shared: ‘This happened to me while I was driving, I pulled over and thought I was going to die.’

A fourth person pointed out: ‘Maybe unlock the door too to allow assistance to help.’

Key Takeaways

• A former paramedic has shared the two-digit code to use if you cannot speak during a triple-0 emergency call.
  • Nikki Jurcutz, a former paramedic for Ausambulance Victoria, explained that you should press 55 to let the operator know you need help.
  • The call will then be transferred to an Interactive Voice Response system where you'll be asked to dial 55, connecting you to the police.
  • Jurcutz's video, which also includes advice on how to clear an obstruction if you are choking and alone, has been viewed more than 125,000 times.

Members, should you find yourself choking while alone, dial triple-0 immediately.

Attempt to summon help if possible and stay calm. Try to remove the obstruction with a forceful cough. Implement Nikki's self-performed chest thrust method to dislodge the obstruction.

What do you think of this story, members? Have you, or anyone you know, been in a similar situation? Share your experiences in the comments below!

Handy :)

View attachment 29258

Key Takeaways

Very informative post 📫 thank you 😊

Another number to remember if you are in need of emergency help and have no mobile service. Dial 112 and your call will be picked up by any satellite and transferred to emergency. We did this a few years ago when out with a bus load of clients from our hostel and one lady had a stroke. We were in the country with no mobile service but this worked a treat. The ambulance was soon on its way. The lady was taken to hospital but sadly passed away after a week. As far as I’m aware this number will still work in areas of no mobile service with your phone carrier.