Astonishingly Easy Hack to Banish Coffee and Tea Stains from Your Mugs Forever – A Home Expert Reveals How!

As a nation of tea and coffee lovers, many Australians over 60 find themselves with a cherished collection of mugs, each with its own history and pattern of stubborn stains. These marks of daily use, while a testament to many a good brew, can be an eyesore and a challenge to remove. But fear not, dear members of the Seniors Discount Club, for a home expert on TikTok has shared a shockingly simple trick that promises to restore your mugs to their former glory.

The Secret to Spotless Mugs
The frustration of trying to scrub away those persistent coffee and tea stains is all too familiar. However, this TikTok home expert has a solution that is as easy as it is effective. The key ingredient? Baking soda – a humble pantry staple that many of us have on hand.

Here's the scoop: Start by sprinkling a generous amount of baking soda into the stained mug. Add just enough water to form a paste, ensuring that the baking soda coats the stains. Allow this mixture to sit and work its magic for a few minutes. If the stains are particularly stubborn, you might consider letting it soak for an hour or even overnight. After the soaking period, give the mug a gentle scrub with a soft brush or cloth, then rinse thoroughly. For an extra sparkle, you can place the mug in the dishwasher or give it a final hand wash.

compressed-madame sweat.jpeg
Madame Sweat shared her mug-cleaning tip for coffee and tea lovers. Image Credit: TikTok/Madame Sweat

The result? A mug that looks as good as new, free from any unsightly stains. 'No more stains,' the TikToker triumphantly declares, showcasing the now immaculate interior of the mug.

The Science Behind the Magic
Baking soda, also known as bicarbonate of soda, is more than just a rising agent for your favorite baked goods. Dr. Oetker, a renowned German food company, explains that baking soda is a mild alkali capable of breaking down organic particles such as grease and dirt. It's also an odor absorber, reacting with acidic elements to neutralize them.

For tougher stains, Dr. Oetker suggests enhancing the cleaning power of baking soda by mixing it with lemon juice or vinegar, creating a potent natural cleaning solution. This versatile substance can also be used to clean silverware, ovens, burnt pans, and even washing machines.

Embracing Natural Solutions
The beauty of using baking soda lies in its natural, non-toxic nature. In a world where we're increasingly aware of the chemicals we bring into our homes, finding effective natural alternatives is a breath of fresh air. TikTokers have expressed their gratitude for such tips, with one user commenting on the versatility of baking soda, saying they 'use it for many things.'

Another TikToker, Madame Sweat, chimed in, preferring baking soda over magic erasers and bleach, especially when cleaning items we eat or drink from. After all, who wants to sip their morning tea with a side of harsh chemicals?

A Community of Clever Hacks
This baking soda trick is just one of many ingenious hacks shared by creative individuals online. From using a walnut to buff out scratches on wooden furniture to employing a lemon and vinegar mix as a natural antibacterial kitchen cleaner, the possibilities are endless. These everyday items not only help with household tasks but also steer us away from relying on toxic chemicals.

Join the Conversation
At the Seniors Discount Club, we're all about sharing tips that make life easier and healthier. Have you tried this baking soda method, or do you have other tricks up your sleeve for tackling household stains and chores? Share your experiences and wisdom in the comments below – your fellow members will surely appreciate it!

Key Takeaways

• A home expert on TikTok has shared a simple trick to remove stubborn coffee and tea stains from mugs using baking soda and water.
  • Baking soda is hailed as a versatile cleaning agent that can tackle various household tasks beyond just stained mugs.
  • Users on TikTok have shown their appreciation for the non-toxic and natural cleaning properties of baking soda.
  • The tip is part of a wider trend of using natural, everyday items for effective and eco-friendly cleaning solutions around the home.
And don't forget to join our free newsletter for more easy tips to save money, reduce waste, and support yourself while caring for the planet. Together, we can enjoy our golden years with a little more sparkle – in our mugs and in our lives.

Sponsored
Yes, to unblock the drain pipe on the bathroom sink, for instance, pour some baking powder down the sink followed by a cup of vinegar, ìt will bubble and froth, wait a few minutes after this subsides, then flush with water. Repeat if necessary. Unless something more serious (like tree roots in the sewerage lines), this is an inexpensive way to unblock a drain.

🤣 did we really need a home expert from
TicTok tell us what most of us already knew. Also our mothers, grandmothers and beyond would have also known about this “trick”. 😉

I've been using bi-carb soda for years to clean stains from coffee & teacups.
It's also very good for Heartburn if you have nothing else on hand, just a half teaspoon mixed with a little water, stir & then drink.

Clean the Kettle by boiling a, sliced lemon and rinsing after doesn't matter how manky the kettle is. Even my work mug (there always seemed to be a shortage in a three week period, I released from stores 3 x 66 each cases of mugs for sixteen people) So I never cleaned mine and it was rotten with tannin stains and was starting to build get a bit of build-up, and argument was all that tannin wasn't going into my system, no body used my mug which was the intention.

Last edited:
Reactions: Abby2
Clean the Kettle by boiling a, sliced lemon and rinsing after doesn't matter how manky the kettle is. Even my work mug (there always seemed to be a shortage in a three week period, I released from stores 3 x 66 each cases of mugs for sixteen people) So I never cleaned mine and it was rotten with tannin stains and was starting to build get a bit of build-up, and argument was all that tannin wasn't going into my system, no body used my mug which was the intention.
I had a friend at work that used to do the same thing (y)🤣 🤣

Dip mine in bleach and rinseout, being doing it for years.
Luckyus, I use bleach too! Couple of drops in the cup, fill with hot water, tip out, cleans the sink too, much quicker result! I clean my teaspoons this way too, drop them in the cups, just before I tip the bleach and hot water out!
I also use Citric Acid, 3 teaspoons in the kettle boil the water, let sit until the black deposit on the bottom of the kettle disappears, tip out, fill kettle with clean water, boil, tip out, fill and make a lovely cup of tea 😋 I perform this ritual at the end of every month.

Reactions: Abby2