Ask Joy: Life Changes in our Partnership

Note from the Editor:
This article was kindly written for the SDC by retired psychologist/ member @Joy Straw.

We hold beliefs that are based on our behaviours, abilities, feelings, personality, and characteristics, as well as how others see and respond to us.

Our self-concept and our relationships develop over decades and bends, twists and moulds into who we are today as an individual and who we are as a couple. The person you call yourself. This person is one who interacts with others and forms relationships in our life and how we then make our way through life.

We were never expected to live for such a long time with the same person. Life was around 70 years of age, but now we may live to be 100 or beyond. So relationships have evolved and, in many cases, have developed into deep and personal commitments, but that has taken a lot of work and a lot of care.

My grandparents lived to be 96 and 98 years old, and their marriage lasted till death parted them after 75 years. My grandmother used to say she’d ‘have got less for murder!’ And yet they both so deeply loved each other and always wanted the best for each other.

Screen Shot 2023-11-16 at 11.11.09 am.png
‘Change is not always negative; it is often positive.’ Image Credit: Shutterstock

We change and develop, and those changes can lead to confusion, some anxiety and occasionally self-doubt, which in turn affects our relationship with our partner.

Sponsored
@Joy Straw yet another wonderful article! Having engaging in a new relationship in the past few weeks, this is very timely and lets me reflect on my own experiences of my 64 years of life.
I'm so glad you have come out with your new relationship, I know everyone will be very happy for you and will wish you well.

What a great article.

I for one enjoyed an amazing sex life with hubby but it really wasn't until I was in my early 40s that we really explored different and exciting things.

In our teenage years we did have a very active and adventurous sex life although I was always embarrassed and needed the light off. I have no idea why because now I see how beautiful I was back then.

Back to the 40s I did things like stip for him and much much more. I somehow became more confident.

Now in our 60s and both with health problems we need to learn different things.

Thank you for this article 🙏

What a great article.

I for one enjoyed an amazing sex life with hubby but it really wasn't until I was in my early 40s that we really explored different and exciting things.

In our teenage years we did have a very active and adventurous sex life although I was always embarrassed and needed the light off. I have no idea why because now I see how beautiful I was back then.

Back to the 40s I did things like stip for him and much much more. I somehow became more confident.

Now in our 60s and both with health problems we need to learn different things.

Thank you for this article 🙏
I love that you’re are feeling young and willing to try new things Great energy 💖