Ask Joy: Avoiding Alzheimer’s

Note from the Editor:
This article was kindly written for the SDC by retired psychologist/ member @Joy Straw.

Can we avoid dementia? Alzheimer's disease is the most common cause of dementia. Alzheimer's disease starts in the years before symptoms start to show. Early symptoms are mild and often don’t stop someone from doing their daily activities. It’s only later that the symptoms become severe enough to be called ‘dementia’.

Alzheimer’s disease is a specific type of dementia characterised by progressive memory and cognitive decline. When talking about Alzheimer’s or dementia, the latest research published by The Lancet medical journal points to fourteen conditions that increase the likelihood of the onset of Alzheimer's. We, therefore, can slow the progress or reduce the problems in developing the condition.

shutterstock_2143472511 (1).jpg
Are there ways to delay or avoid Alzheimer’s? Image Credit: Shutterstock

In 40 per cent of Alzheimer's cases, the top three main contributing factors can be avoided.

Sponsored
I well remember my 94 year old dad sitting in his chair with his eyes closed. One day I said what are you thinking Dad. He said I am going over the phone numbers in my head and he then rattled off quite a few landline numbers of friends and also mobile numbers. Now that I am classed as elderly (but still feel a lot younger) I took on board this information. I have learnt the alphabet backwards; the aviation alphabet and months of year backwards and have committed to memory quite a few phone numbers . Also two credit card numbers. I regularly lie in bed when I cannot sleep and go over them in my mind until they have become automatic. If you don't use it you lose it as they say so I am trying to keep my mind ticking along.