Are You Throwing Away Food Too Soon? Learn the Shocking Truth About Best-Before vs Use-By Dates!

As we age, we often become more conscious of our health and the quality of the food we consume. It's not uncommon to find ourselves peering at the tiny print on our food packaging, deciphering the dates and wondering if the food in our pantry or fridge is still safe to eat. But are we too quick to toss food that might still be perfectly good? The confusion between 'best-before' and 'use-by' dates is not just a minor misunderstanding; it can lead to unnecessary waste and an unwarranted dent in our wallets.

According to research by Food Standards Australia New Zealand (FSANZ), a significant portion of Australians are misinterpreting these dates. Specifically, 22 per cent of us get best-before dates wrong, while 33 per cent are confused about use-by dates. So, let's clear up the confusion and potentially save some money and food in the process.

Firstly, it's important to understand that food produced or imported for sale in Australia must adhere to a code that requires date marks. Food suppliers determine whether their product carries a use-by or best-before date. But what do these terms actually mean?

1727065538260.png
Understand the difference: 'best before' vs. 'use-by' dates impacts food safety and quality. Credit: Shutterstock

Use-by dates are about safety. They indicate the date until which the product should be consumed. After this date, the food may pose a health or safety risk and cannot legally be sold. This is particularly true for perishable items such as meat, dairy, and some chilled or frozen products. If you've frozen an item before its use-by date, it may still be safe to consume later, but how you defrost and prepare it is crucial.

On the other hand, best-before dates are about quality. Foods with a best-before stamp, such as biscuits, chips, pasta, and sauces, are safe to eat past that date, although they may have lost some of their freshness or flavour. These items may also lose nutritional value over time. It's a common misconception that these foods must be discarded after the best-before date, but in reality, they can often last much longer.

There are exceptions to these rules. For instance, foods with a shelf life of two years or longer, like certain canned goods, don't require a best-before date because they maintain their quality for an extended period and are likely to be consumed before spoiling. Similarly, packaged fruits and vegetables don't need a date mark if the packaging doesn't obscure the quality of the food. Bread with a shelf life of fewer than seven days can be labelled with a 'baked on' or 'baked for' date instead.

So, how long can foods with best-before dates actually last? While it varies from product to product, a general rule of thumb is that they can last six months past the marked date, sometimes even 12 months or more. They will be at peak quality until that date, but they will still be fit for consumption afterwards. Organisations like Foodbank, which receive products close to their best-before date, ensure that the food they distribute is still fit for consumption by consulting with donor companies about the product's longevity.

For those of us rummaging through our cupboards at home, if a product with a best-before date looks and smells okay, it probably is safe to eat. However, the same does not apply to foods past their use-by date. Even if they look and smell fine, they should not be consumed due to the potential health risks.

In conclusion, understanding the difference between best-before and use-by dates can help us make informed decisions about the food we eat. It can prevent unnecessary waste, save money, and ensure we're not compromising on safety. So next time you're about to throw out that packet of pasta that's a month past its best-before date, take a moment to consider whether it's truly necessary. And remember, when in doubt, trust your senses – they're often the best guide to determining whether food is still enjoyable and safe to eat.
Key Takeaways
  • There is a significant difference between 'best before' and 'use-by' dates, affecting the safety and quality of food.
  • Use-by dates indicate a product should be consumed by the date listed, and it's typically illegal to sell such items after this date due to potential health risks.
  • Best-before dates suggest the food is safe to eat after the date, but quality may have diminished.
  • Some products, like canned goods with a shelf life of two years or more, do not require a best-before date, and foods can often last beyond their best-before dates if they look and smell fine.
We'd love to hear from you, dear members! Have you ever found yourself confused by these dates? Do you have any tips for determining if food is still good to eat? Share your experiences and advice in the comments below!

Sponsored

Are You Throwing Away Food Too Soon? Learn the Shocking Truth About Best-Before vs Use-By Dates!​

This is really starting to piss me off!!!
When will people who THINK they can write learn to tell the bloody difference between SURPRISING and SHOCKING.
If you open a jar/can/tin of something and a grasshopper crawls out, that is SHOCKING.
If the meaning between dates is something, that is SURPRISING.
By the time I've read though some articles in hope of finding something interesting it is surprising that I was disappointed and shocking that I've wasted time.
Might as well go back to my model ship building, I'm sure the MHS ENDEAVOUR and the SOVEREIGN of the SEAS will welcome me back.

A spinoff of this is the old tomato sauce debate. To refrigerate or not refrigerate.

To all you "not refrigerate" numbskulls, have you ever read the directions for use on the product's label?

Do you think you know better than the manufacturer with regard to storage?
Gee whiz are you having a dig at me, I think my middle finger is rising, well it would be, but I am typing at the moment. That conversation finished weeks ago; I've moved on do you want to join me.