Are you owed a refund from Coles? Here’s why you need to start checking your receipts!

Coles customers, it’s time to bust out your receipts and start doing some investigative work!

Recently, Coles shoppers have been reporting that unexpected discounts have been applied to their grocery bills, with the word 'apology' next to the refunds on the receipts.

The discounts were first made known on a popular Facebook group, with confused customers reaching out for answers on the Markdown Addicts Australia page.

'Does anyone know the reason for this $0.47 ‘apology’ credit?' asked one shopper, with another showing off the discount she’d received.

And they weren’t the only ones confused.

019f8a1ca6245f719e46fb524ddaad00ff0f65b5-161x229-x17y0w493h701.jpg
A Coles shopper shares a photo of their ‘apology discount’ receipt. Credit: Facebook

Another chimed in to say, ‘I got this too but mine was bigger.’

While a second said: ‘I got it too. Attendant had no idea what it was.’

Thankfully, a Coles spokesperson cleared up the mystery. It seems that the grocery giant had issued the refunds to some Flybuys members after a recent mix-up.

'We detected that a small number of Flybuys members did not receive the promotion they activated due to an IT issue,' the spokesperson told 7NEWS.com.au.

'Flybuys has applied a Flybuys credit to any affected members’ accounts that will appear on their next receipt. We hope this has not caused any inconvenience to these customers.'

So, if you’ve shopped at Coles recently, it’s time to check your receipts. You never know; you might be owed a bit of money!

shutterstock_723599680.jpg
You can check your Coles receipts to confirm if you received one of their ‘apology discounts’. Credit: Shutterstock

Interestingly, many shoppers wanted to give their own explanation for the discounts.

One customer states, 'Sorry you had to pay $10 for 500g of cheese'.

Another shopper even joked, 'That’s your pay for using the self-checkout.'

Despite the mixed reviews on the unexpected refunds, it serves as an important reminder to always check your receipts.

You may be pleasantly surprised.

Key Takeaways
  • Coles supermarket has issued 'apology' refunds to some customers, which have appeared as discounts on their receipts.
  • Customers shared their confusion about these unusual refunds via a popular Facebook group, prompting discussion and speculation among the community.
  • The discounts were provided as a result of an IT issue that prevented some Flybuys members from receiving a promotion they had activated.
  • Coles has confirmed that a Flybuys credit will be applied to affected members' accounts and appear on their next receipt.

If you’ve shopped at Coles recently, are you owed an ‘apology discount’ too? Do you think Coles handled the issue well? We want to hear your thoughts on the matter in the comments below!

Reactions: Ezzy
Sponsored
Coles customers, it’s time to bust out your receipts and start doing some investigative work!

Recently, Coles shoppers have been reporting that unexpected discounts have been applied to their grocery bills, with the word 'apology' next to the refunds on the receipts.

The discounts were first made known on a popular Facebook group, with confused customers reaching out for answers on the Markdown Addicts Australia page.

'Does anyone know the reason for this $0.47 ‘apology’ credit?' asked one shopper, with another showing off the discount she’d received.

View attachment 29662
A Coles shopper shares a photo of their ‘apology discount’ receipt. Credit: Facebook

Thankfully, a Coles spokesperson cleared up the mystery. It seems that the grocery giant had issued the refunds to some Flybuys members after a recent mix-up.

'We detected that a small number of Flybuys members did not receive the promotion they activated due to an IT issue,' the spokesperson told 7NEWS.com.au.

'Flybuys has applied a Flybuys credit to any affected members’ accounts that will appear on their next receipt. We hope this has not caused any inconvenience to these customers.'

So, if you’ve shopped at Coles recently, it’s time to check your receipts. You never know; you might be owed a bit of money!

View attachment 29664
You can check your Coles receipts to confirm if you received one of their ‘apology discounts’. Credit: Shutterstock

Interestingly, many shoppers wanted to give their own explanation for the discounts.

Despite the mixed reviews on the unexpected refunds, it serves as an important reminder to always check your receipts.

Key Takeaways

• Coles supermarket has issued 'apology' refunds to some customers, which have appeared as discounts on their receipts.
  • Customers shared their confusion about these unusual refunds via a popular Facebook group, prompting discussion and speculation among the community.
  • The discounts were provided as a result of an IT issue that prevented some Flybuys members from receiving a promotion they had activated.
  • Coles has confirmed that a Flybuys credit will be applied to affected members' accounts and appear on their next receipt.

If you’ve shopped at Coles recently, are you owed an ‘apology discount’ too? Do you think Coles handled the issue well? We want to hear your thoughts on the matter in the comments below!
I am fed up with Coles. I activated to receiver a free packet of Heinz Ravioli yesterday at Maryborough, Qld. But cashier said I had to pay for it!! But at $5.30??? No way!!!! The offer said it was free!!! On my phone it said the offer was activated!!!!!!Now shopping at Woolworths!! Why offer something ‘ then not receive it!! Another scam ??

• Haha
Reactions: Trudi and Abby2
It's in my DNA.

"DOES NOT APPLY".

No Flybys, no measly discount.
Me neither. I do not have Fly Buys and that goes for all other Apps that so many people use like Facebook, What’sApp etc; more to worry about and more platforms that can be hacked. Then we’ll all be whingeing.

• Haha
Reactions: Trudi
I have had several free goods from flybuys that have come on my email, yoghurt, bacon. I am not interested in all that they offer but it is a great way to try new products. And it works. If it didn't work out free at the checkout I would not get it, no fuss no bother but so far all good.

Reactions: Colette 3799
I am fed up with Coles. I activated to receiver a free packet of Heinz Ravioli yesterday at Maryborough, Qld. But cashier said I had to pay for it!! But at $5.30??? No way!!!! The offer said it was free!!! On my phone it said the offer was activated!!!!!!Now shopping at Woolworths!! Why offer something ‘ then not receive it!! Another scam ??
Just wondering, did you get charged after you had paid. I’ve had free products in the past. I scan my flyby card, pay for the shopping and when the transaction is finalised it comes up as a refund on the receipt. It doesn’t actually show up while the transaction is still going

Reactions: Gsr and terri
"Woohoo! I got me a 47 cent discount!". Seriously?
Do you pull grates off drains to retrieve a 5 cent piece?
"Woohoo! I got me a 47 cent discount!". Seriously?
Do you pull grates off drains to retrieve a 5 cent piece?
In view of your earlier quote this morning "
It's in my DNA.
"DOES NOT APPLY".
No Flybys, no measly discount."
Just how did you get that 47 cent discount ??? :)

Don't trust the free offers as they are most likely to be a scam. Safer paying for it!?

Coles still owes us $120. We used to activate the 4 weekly shop and receive money back. One was for $70 and one for $50. Never received them, called, sent emails etc to no avail. Won't shop with them anymore. Why not drop the prices and forget about Flybuys and rewards and knives, dishes, toys etc.

View attachment 29662

View attachment 29664

Key Takeaways

I always check as I have been charged for the wrong tomatoes and mandarins, this can make a big difference to your weekly bill. Always scan my Flybuys card.

Reactions: Abby2 and Gsr