Are you overwatering your plants? This genius trick from a pro gardener reveals exactly when your plants are thirsty!

Gardening is a beloved pastime for many Australians, especially for seniors. It's a therapeutic activity that not only beautifies homes, but also provides a sense of accomplishment.

However, one common challenge that both novice and seasoned gardeners face is knowing when to water their plants, as overwatering or underwatering can lead to a plant's demise.

But fear not, green thumbs! A gardening enthusiast has shared a simple trick that can help you determine if your plants are thirsty.

Samantha Rose, a gardening enthusiast, shared on social media a quick and easy trick to determine if your potted plants need watering.

In one of her videos, Samantha donned her gardening hat and shared a piece of advice that her father passed down to her.

Instead of the traditional method of sticking your finger into the soil to check its moisture level, Samantha suggested a different approach: give the pot a gentle kick.

photo (3).jpg
Samantha kicked her potted plants to check if they needed watering. Credits: Tiktok / samantharoseholdren

Yes, you read that right.

According to Samantha, the best way to tell if your plant needs water is to test the weight of the pot with a gentle kick.

If the pot moved easily, it's likely that the plant needs water. However, if it didn't budge, your plant is probably well-hydrated.

'My dad taught me one of the best garden tricks,' Samantha said in the video.

'This is going to save you a lot of time, and a lot of plant's lives. The best way to tell if your plant needs water? Just kick the pot.'

One expert chimed in, saying, 'Not going to lie, as a professional horticulturist, I walk around the greenhouses doing this all day and tipping hanging baskets!'

‘Thank your dad for EVERYTHING!' one comment said.

‘If it works, it works,’ another replied.

Others who tried the tip but broke their pots joked, ‘I tried it and it broke. What does that mean? Does it need more water?’

In addition to understanding your plant's watering needs, it's also important to protect your plants from tiny pests that could ruin your yard.

Sure, you can use insecticides or pesticides, but many are wary about using them.

However, you’ll be surprised how a simple item you probably have at home can deal with this problem. You can read more about it here.

Key Takeaways
  • A woman shared on social media a gardening hack to determine if plants need water by kicking the pot to assess its weight.
  • The trick was passed down to her by her father and involves checking how easily the pot moves when gently kicked.
  • The gardening tip was well-received, but some followers humorously commented on accidentally breaking their pots when trying it.

Would you try this gardening trick? Do you have some gardening tips of your own? Share them with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
I can imagine some of us seniors trying to kick our pots ending up on the ground, or breaking bones. Don’t think I’ll bother doing it.

Reactions: maherdj