Are you one of the thousands affected? Australia Post reveals major change for customers

Many Australians have seen massive changes in their lives – from advancements in technology to the rise in social media platforms.

But one institution has remained the same: Australia Post. The mail service has kept its processes unchanged, with the familiar ‘sorry, we missed you’ cards being a constant if someone isn’t home to receive a package.

But the time has come to say goodbye to the ‘old school’ ways, as Australia Post reveals a major change for thousands of customers.

Starting June 26th, those with MyPost accounts will no longer receive the traditional handwritten cards when their package cannot be delivered.

Instead, MyPost account holders will now receive digital notifications of missed deliveries.

auspost1.jpg
MyPost account holders will stop receiving handwritten cards starting this month. Credit: Australia Post

However, this change only affects those with a MyPost account. Regular Australia Post customers who don’t have a MyPost account will still receive the written cards as usual.

It's also worth noting that there are currently no plans to eliminate the card entirely.

The news was already confirmed when an email sent to a Victorian business owner was leaked online, as reported by Yahoo News Australia and Smart Company.

Business owners were reportedly notified via email on May 24th, within the required 30-day notice period.

auspost2.jpg
Australia Post confirmed the change. Credit: Cottonbro Studio/Pexels

On their website, Australia Post announced: ‘From June 2023, parcel receivers who have registered with MyPost, will get a digital collection notification if they aren’t home when their parcel arrives. We’ll no longer leave them a card.’

‘Our digital notifications have more accurate and useful information than a card, and customers can choose to receive them by email, SMS or through the AusPost app. They are sent once the parcel is ready for collection at the nearest Post Office,’ it continued.

But why is Australia Post making this change?

As per the email seen by Yahoo News Australia, the switch to digital alerts aims to provide a better overall customer experience, reduce paper waste, and improve efficiency and convenience.

Customers will receive a notification of the attempted delivery, along with information on where to collect their item and when it will become available for collection.

‘Digital notifications provide more accurate information and resolve the issue of lost, missing or damaged cards,’ the courier service stated.

Australia Post revealed that this change comes after a successful trial in Melbourne, a spokesperson confirmed.

‘Australia Post is always looking for new ways and innovations to improve our services to customers. We have recently conducted a trial involving MyPost deliveries and are currently working through the outcomes of that trial,’ they said.

For those wondering what a MyPost account entails, it's a free account that allows customers to personalise their postage experience by tracking parcels, nominating others for item collection or easily redirecting mail.

The spokesperson further elaborated, ‘Australia Post’s MyPost app and website offer customers the best possible parcel tracking, along with other features such as the ability to redirect your parcel to a more convenient location, in real-time.’

So, while this change might take a little getting used to, it seems to be another step towards a more efficient future. Whether you're an avid online shopper or someone who receives parcels from loved ones, remember to keep an eye out for your digital notifications.
Key Takeaways
  • Australia Post is introducing a change for thousands of customers with MyPost accounts, switching from handwritten 'sorry, we missed you' cards to digital notifications when a package fails to be delivered.
  • Starting on June 26, this change aims to provide a better customer experience, reduce paper waste, and improve efficiency and convenience. Customers who don’t have a MyPost account won’t be impacted.
  • The swap to digital alerts follows a successful trial carried out in Melbourne, with customers receiving notifications of attempted delivery and details of where and when to collect their items.
  • A MyPost account is a free service that allows customers to personalise their postage experience by tracking parcels, nominating others for item collection, or easily redirecting mail.
If you or someone you know has a MyPost account, make sure you’re up-to-date with this important change. Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
All too often have l witnessed a card being dropped off in my letterbox to say that the parcel is at our local post office ready for pickup because no one was home, when in fact no attempt to even ring the doorbell or even a knock at the front door was ever made, and l will have been home all day waiting for it on their track and trace system.

I have had time and time again seen a courier company ( couriers please ) say they have knocked and nobody's home I think receive a message on my phone.
I dont understand what they get out of it by doing this.

I have the Australia post app and have been getting messages for ages stating when a parcel is coming, when a parcel is delivered and when nobody's home

But I received a text, went to the p.o. And it was a scam. How do you tell. Again, posties are paid to deliver or knock and deliver, do we have to do everything for everybody, and not get paid??

Reactions: Trina G
I like the idea of going digital rather than missing cards. I have great Australia parcel post people, however not all the courier companies are as good.

But I received a text, went to the p.o. And it was a scam. How do you tell. Again, posties are paid to deliver or knock and deliver, do we have to do everything for everybody, and not get paid??
Do their job then send Australia Post a bill for services rendered :)

I had an Australia Post parcel a few months ago that I was waiting for a little anxiously.
Got the usual messages that it was picked up at warehouse, on it's way, will be delivered on such and such a date, delivery today, then delivery completed. Only problem was that the delivery tracker said it was delivered to an address in Sydney, and I live in Newcastle.
The seller said, gee I don't know. Australia Post said we will look at it and a week later came back to say it was delivered. Round and round I went until someone in Australia Post actually read my message. Turns out it went from Sydney to Newcastle then back to the seller in Sydney.
Stuff like this happens.
The main thing I got out of that was to be persistent and have all the information. In this case, it was a medical item. But, I would have chased it up regardless of the item.
Whilst the mistake happened, and I had to ask a couple of times, Australia Post did eventually figure it out. Comes under the heading "S**t happens".

All too often have l witnessed a card being dropped off in my letterbox to say that the parcel is at our local post office ready for pickup because no one was home, when in fact no attempt to even ring the doorbell or even a knock at the front door was ever made, and l will have been home all day waiting for it on their track and trace system.
Same here and as I am unable to get to the Castle Hill P.O. located in that awkward location, I have to arrange for someone else to collect it. This is not fair. Once not long ago, even during the Covid restrictions, the delivery folk knocked on your door and waited long enough for you to get to open it and receive the parcels. Not so now, unless you are there, they have a deadline perhaps but still shove the note on the doormat and run off.

• Angry
Reactions: Observer
Same here and as I am unable to get to the Castle Hill P.O. located in that awkward location, I have to arrange for someone else to collect it. This is not fair. Once not long ago, even during the Covid restrictions, the delivery folk knocked on your door and waited long enough for you to get to open it and receive the parcels. Not so now, unless you are there, they have a deadline perhaps but still shove the note on the doormat and run off.
The scam ones are totally different. You won’t get a link to click on, it will just be a notification through the my post app. Much more convenient and if you have a good postie and delivery team as we do nothing will change apart from not leaving the card.

Many Australians have seen massive changes in their lives – from advancements in technology to the rise in social media platforms.

But one institution has remained the same: Australia Post. The mail service has kept its processes unchanged, with the familiar ‘sorry, we missed you’ cards being a constant if someone isn’t home to receive a package.

But the time has come to say goodbye to the ‘old school’ ways, as Australia Post reveals a major change for thousands of customers.

Starting June 26th, those with MyPost accounts will no longer receive the traditional handwritten cards when their package cannot be delivered.

Instead, MyPost account holders will now receive digital notifications of missed deliveries.

View attachment 21902
MyPost account holders will stop receiving handwritten cards starting this month. Credit: Australia Post

However, this change only affects those with a MyPost account. Regular Australia Post customers who don’t have a MyPost account will still receive the written cards as usual.

It's also worth noting that there are currently no plans to eliminate the card entirely.

The news was already confirmed when an email sent to a Victorian business owner was leaked online, as reported by Yahoo News Australia and Smart Company.

Business owners were reportedly notified via email on May 24th, within the required 30-day notice period.

View attachment 21903
Australia Post confirmed the change. Credit: Cottonbro Studio/Pexels

On their website, Australia Post announced: ‘From June 2023, parcel receivers who have registered with MyPost, will get a digital collection notification if they aren’t home when their parcel arrives. We’ll no longer leave them a card.’

‘Our digital notifications have more accurate and useful information than a card, and customers can choose to receive them by email, SMS or through the AusPost app. They are sent once the parcel is ready for collection at the nearest Post Office,’ it continued.

But why is Australia Post making this change?

As per the email seen by Yahoo News Australia, the switch to digital alerts aims to provide a better overall customer experience, reduce paper waste, and improve efficiency and convenience.

Customers will receive a notification of the attempted delivery, along with information on where to collect their item and when it will become available for collection.

‘Digital notifications provide more accurate information and resolve the issue of lost, missing or damaged cards,’ the courier service stated.

Australia Post revealed that this change comes after a successful trial in Melbourne, a spokesperson confirmed.

‘Australia Post is always looking for new ways and innovations to improve our services to customers. We have recently conducted a trial involving MyPost deliveries and are currently working through the outcomes of that trial,’ they said.

For those wondering what a MyPost account entails, it's a free account that allows customers to personalise their postage experience by tracking parcels, nominating others for item collection or easily redirecting mail.

The spokesperson further elaborated, ‘Australia Post’s MyPost app and website offer customers the best possible parcel tracking, along with other features such as the ability to redirect your parcel to a more convenient location, in real-time.’

So, while this change might take a little getting used to, it seems to be another step towards a more efficient future. Whether you're an avid online shopper or someone who receives parcels from loved ones, remember to keep an eye out for your digital notifications.
Key Takeaways

• Australia Post is introducing a change for thousands of customers with MyPost accounts, switching from handwritten 'sorry, we missed you' cards to digital notifications when a package fails to be delivered.
  • Starting on June 26, this change aims to provide a better customer experience, reduce paper waste, and improve efficiency and convenience. Customers who don’t have a MyPost account won’t be impacted.
  • The swap to digital alerts follows a successful trial carried out in Melbourne, with customers receiving notifications of attempted delivery and details of where and when to collect their items.
  • A MyPost account is a free service that allows customers to personalise their postage experience by tracking parcels, nominating others for item collection, or easily redirecting mail.
If you or someone you know has a MyPost account, make sure you’re up-to-date with this important change. Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!
I have had the app for some months now, but when I had a registered letter that I needed, I heard nothing until one and a half months later that it had been sitting at the post office. By the time they let me know it was there it was no longer needed and I'd had problems without the contents in that time. Not a good service with the app.

I have had the app for some months now, but when I had a registered letter that I needed, I heard nothing until one and a half months later that it had been sitting at the post office. By the time they let me know it was there it was no longer needed and I'd had problems without the contents in that time. Not a good service with the app.
That’s not good. I have always found the app really good. I used to have issues sending parcels to my grandkids in WA, they were always getting misplaced but since having the app every one has made it there safely. I don’t get many items that need to be picked up at the PO but the odd time I have I was notified straight away that it was there, by the app as well as the card

Ah well. Australia opens the door to anther scam via the much-vaunted scammonet......

I don't have a mobile phone and don't have mobile phone "apps". Once upon a time Australia Post used to deliver parcels. Now they are too lazy to do so.