Are you making this mistake? Woolworths issues warning to shoppers placing drinks on conveyor belts

Have you ever placed a drink on one of Woolworths’ checkout conveyor belts, only to have it stuck, rolling around in circles and ending up right back where it started?

Well, as one Woolworths staff member pointed out, you may have been incorrectly placing your groceries at the belt this whole time!

Woolworths recently took to social media to share a tip with all of their customers who purchase canned and bottled drinks from their stores.

Woolworths spokesperson Liam Kirley even showed an example of what would happen when people don't comply with this rule.

Photo_20230926_085323_0000.png
Woolworths shared what happens when bottles are laid down on the conveyor belt at the checkout counter. Image source: TikTok/@woolworths_au.

'If you buy Prime, water, Sprite, Coke, Red Bull, Mother, Powerade or any other drinks, we recommend you don’t put them on the conveyor belt like so,' Kirley said while he laid the cans and bottles on the conveyor belt.

'Otherwise, this happens.'

In the video, cans and bottles can be seen stuck on the belt and unable to move forward towards the register—and instead, just rolling back and forth in the same spot.

Liam added: 'We recommend you stand your drinks upright to avoid this.'

Screenshot 2023-09-26 at 8.11.10 AM.png
Woolworths recommended standing the cans and bottles upright to stop them from rolling back and forth. Image source: TikTok/@woolworths_au.

Other staff members commented on the post in agreement with the checkout trick.

'Woolies worker here, I agree with this man,' one said.

'Although it is funny to watch when they do start rolling.'

While another worker said: '[No], keep doing it, literally the highlight of my shift when I used to work in groceries.'

Shoppers also commented on the post, expressing their gratitude for the tip.

'Good tip, Woolies!' one said.

'Thanks for this awesome tip, I never thought of this will use [it] next time!' Another added.

While one customer asked: 'Does this apply to canned foods as well?'

But other shoppers said they found the cans and bottles rolling around on the conveyor belt oddly ‘satisfying' with one saying: 'That is exactly why I put them like that.'

Another added: 'But that’s the fun of it!'

'You have given me a reason to put them like that,' a third said in jest.

You can watch the full video from Woolworths below:

Source: TikTok/@woolworths_au.

In another story, Kirsley also revealed a supermarket 'secret' about conveyor belts.

Apparently, the belts are operated by an on/off switch! There are also two little-known sensors at the checkout end that stop it from moving when they sense an object nearby.

However, some clever shoppers have admitted to using this 'secret' to mess with Woolies workers for years by stopping and starting the belt.

You can read more about this story here.
Key Takeaways

• Woolworths has issued a warning to customers about how they place drinks on the conveyor belt at the checkout.
  • The retail company recommends that cans and bottles of drinks should be stood upright on the conveyor belt.
  • A Woolworths spokesperson demonstrated in a video that if cans and bottles are laid down, they will not move forward on the conveyor belt.
  • Many Woolworths shoppers appreciated the tip, though some said they found watching the bottles and cans roll around on the conveyor belt to be 'satisfying' or entertaining.
Members, did you know about this trick? Let us know your thoughts on it in the comments below!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Liag and NotNats
Sponsored
Have you ever placed a drink on one of Woolworths’ checkout conveyor belts, only to have it stuck, rolling around in circles and ending up right back where it started?

Well, as one Woolworths staff member pointed out, you may have been incorrectly placing your groceries at the belt this whole time!

Woolworths recently took to social media to share a tip with all of their customers who purchase canned and bottled drinks from their stores.

Woolworths spokesperson Liam Kirley even showed an example of what would happen when people don't comply with this rule.

View attachment 30874
Woolworths shared what happens when bottles are laid down on the conveyor belt at the checkout counter. Image source: TikTok/@woolworths_au.

'If you buy Prime, water, Sprite, Coke, Red Bull, Mother, Powerade or any other drinks, we recommend you don’t put them on the conveyor belt like so,' Kirley said while he laid the cans and bottles on the conveyor belt.

In the video, cans and bottles can be seen stuck on the belt and unable to move forward towards the register—and instead, just rolling back and forth in the same spot.

View attachment 30875
Woolworths recommended standing the cans and bottles upright to stop them from rolling back and forth. Image source: TikTok/@woolworths_au.

While another worker said: '[No], keep doing it, literally the highlight of my shift when I used to work in groceries.'

'Thanks for this awesome tip, I never thought of this will use [it] next time!' Another added.

But other shoppers said they found the cans and bottles rolling around on the conveyor belt oddly ‘satisfying' with one saying: 'That is exactly why I put them like that.'

In another story, Kirsley also revealed a supermarket 'secret' about conveyor belts.

Apparently, the belts are operated by an on/off switch! There are also two little-known sensors at the checkout end that stop it from moving when they sense an object nearby.

However, some clever shoppers have admitted to using this 'secret' to mess with Woolies workers for years by stopping and starting the belt.

Key Takeaways

• Woolworths has issued a warning to customers about how they place drinks on the conveyor belt at the checkout.
  • The retail company recommends that cans and bottles of drinks should be stood upright on the conveyor belt.
  • A Woolworths spokesperson demonstrated in a video that if cans and bottles are laid down, they will not move forward on the conveyor belt.
  • Many Woolworths shoppers appreciated the tip, though some said they found watching the bottles and cans roll around on the conveyor belt to be 'satisfying' or entertaining.
Members, did you know about this trick? Let us know your thoughts on it in the comments below!

Obviously doesn't take much to entertain some ppl. I thought it was pretty obvious to stand them up so they don't roll about. Obviously not if Woolworths need to advise us about it. Keep up the good job Woolies!!!

View attachment 30874

View attachment 30875

Key Takeaways

i learnt very quickly some years back to always lie bottles etc flat.

Obviously doesn't take much to entertain some ppl. I thought it was pretty obvious to stand them up so they don't roll about. Obviously not if Woolworths need to advise us about it. Keep up the good job Woolies!!!
Standing them up !!! They will always fall over especially bottles . Who stands them up ? Better they roll than fall over

View attachment 30874

View attachment 30875

Key Takeaways

Oh puhhleeeese if you put all your other groceries around it they won’t roll. I don’t usually lay cans down but I will lay 1ltr or 2 ltr bottles down because they always topple over when the conveyor belt starts. Use common sense

View attachment 30874

View attachment 30875

Key Takeaways

I used to stand plastic soft drink bottles upright on the conveyor until one day a bottle feel over , hit a sharp edge at the check out and then went off like a fire extingusher. After it was cleaned up the lady on the check out said it was safest to lay the bottles down so that is what I have done now for years and never had any more exploding bottle problems.

View attachment 30874

View attachment 30875

Key Takeaways

I like the Lad from Woolworths, with all of his helpful tips.
I wonder if he gets a bonus in his wages for doing these videos.
If not, I think he should.

Reactions: Ezzy

View attachment 30874

View attachment 30875

Key Takeaways

Well, is this guy serious? At one point in the video it looked like he could easily reach all of them or have enough time to put one of those dividers behind them to stop them rolling backwards. Seriously, use some brain cells and THINK!! instead of dictating to people - we have the Millennials and the government doing that crap we don't need more doing it.

There is always a way around things.

I used to work on a checkout and we had to use our brains to solve problems like that - it broke the tedious unrelenting boredom of the repetitive job of scanning all the stuff.

Reactions: Colette 3799
Seriously - now we have rules for how to put things on the conveyor belt! For God's sake just shove the things on there and hurry up and scan them through. Bl---dy hell - enough with the rules already.

My original thought was to lay these items down rather than across the belt. I visualise bottles laying like a bullet heading towards its mark when laid down. If there are numerous cans of drinks & food items these could be laid across the belt together.

Oh no, what terrible people customers are. That poor staff member had to reach over. Is there an extra charge for this.

View attachment 30874

View attachment 30875

Key Takeaways

We lay our bottles down pointing to the cashier as we have had bottles fall off the conveyor and then smash on the floor

Reactions: Ezzy