Are you making this ‘aggressive’ mistake that's enraging fellow travellers on planes?

Air travel can be a stressful experience, with cramped spaces, long queues, and the inevitable jet lag, but there's another aspect of flying that can make or break your journey: in-flight etiquette.

A recent discussion on social media has brought to light a particular behaviour that's causing turbulence among passengers.

A social media user coined the term ‘ploppers’ to describe people that ‘come back from the bathroom and just dive bomb their a** into the seat and shake your whole world’.

They said, ‘(I) have had ginger ale launched across all three people in my row due to an aggressive “plopp”.’

compressed-shutterstock_626651186.jpeg
Social media users expressed their frustration over ‘aggressive’ lapses in in-flight etiquette. Image Source: Shutterstock / Have a nice day Photo

Social media users were excited to learn the new term and shared their own horror stories regarding the dreaded ‘plopp’.

One user said, ‘Now I know what they are called. Vocabulary expansion unlocked.’

Another user recounted their own experience and said, ‘Had this happen a few months ago when I had my iPad in the seat back location.’

‘Sent the device flying. Was not cool.’

Another traveller mentioned that they frequently rely on the seat back table as a headrest for sleeping.

However, if they happen to be seated behind a ‘plopper’, it jolts their upper body uncomfortably.

But it's not just the act of ‘plopping’ that's causing irritation.

Other commenters slammed airline passengers who reclined their seats suddenly, showing no regard for those seated behind them.

One commenter said, ‘I don't care if you are going to recline your seat. But please just do it when you're first allowed to.’

'Or if you are going to do it at a random time, please do it very slowly and carefully. Same thing for un-reclining your seat.’

They added ‘If you randomly slam your seat back and forth full force, aggressively two minutes after drinks are served. You're a certified a******.’

Another concern that a social media user had with fellow passengers was ‘people behind you [who] put all of their body weight pulling themselves up by using the back of your seat.'

‘I've had a lady do this one to me multiple times on the same flight, grabbing my hair every single time,’ one social media user responded.

Are you looking to avoid any further lapses in in-flight etiquette? In a previous story, an etiquette expert shared their thoughts on proper in-flight etiquette. You can read more about the story here.
Key Takeaways
  • Travelers have coined the term 'ploppers' to describe passengers who heavily and carelessly sit back down on their aeroplane seats.
  • The act of ‘plopping’ has been criticised on social for causing inconvenience and disturbance to other passengers.
  • One social media user suggested that if passengers need to recline, they should do so slowly and at appropriate times to avoid being inconsiderate.
  • Other common aeroplane grievances include passengers abruptly reclining their seats and people pulling themselves up by grabbing the seat in front of them.
Have you ever encountered a 'plopper', or have you been guilty of ‘plopping’ yourself? Share your stories and thoughts in the comments below!

Reactions: Ezzy
Sponsored