Are you making the same costly mistake as this young Aussie? Avoid a $500 fine!

Navigating the roads can be a tricky business, and even the most seasoned drivers can sometimes find themselves in a bit of a pickle when it comes to interpreting traffic signals.

However, these situations can be particularly daunting and expensive for younger drivers who may not have the same level of experience.

This was what one young Aussie driver recently discovered after copping a fine for a traffic offence she claimed she had not committed, but not everyone agreed with her.

Charli, an 18-year-old year 12 student from Melbourne, found herself in hot water after making a turn at a traffic light on Fitzroy Street.

She was slapped with a $500 fine and docked three demerit points for what was alleged to be running a red light.

Charli, however, was adamant that the light was green when she followed several cars turning right during the incident.

image (55).jpg
Eighteen-year-old Australian driver Charli received a $500 fine and three demerit points for allegedly running a red light while turning right. Credit: Tiktok / @charliijjane

‘I’m turning right, it’s a green light. It’s safe to go,’ she insisted in a video she posted online.

‘They want me to pay $500 and lose three demerit points. I’m a year 12 student and I’m 18.’

‘One, I don’t have the money for that and I can’t lose demerit points, and I didn’t do anything wrong,' Charli continued.

Despite her conviction, Charli's appeal was denied, and she said she is considering taking the matter to court.

The evidence provided to her by transport authorities—a grainy image—left Australians divided over whether she should pay the fine or fight back.

‘Green light is to go straight, you turned right on a red arrow,’ one viewer commented. However, some disagreed and encouraged her to pursue legal action.

‘That intersection is the actual worst,’ another commenter wrote, noting that many others experience the same issue.

In a follow-up video, Charli expressed her resignation to the situation, sharing she would ‘have to pay it’.

‘Apparently, it’s a red arrow. I didn’t know that. You can't see it in the photos,’ she said.

‘It is what it is. I guess I’ll have to pay [for] it. It’s $500 and three demerit points later, but [because] I was halfway through the intersection, and my back tyres were not fully in, that’s triggered the camera.’

Charli's experience is not an isolated one. Red-light cameras across Australia have caught numerous drivers making similar mistakes.

In New South Wales, a driver faced a $544 fine for entering an ‘intersection after the light turned red’.

The ‘photographic evidence’ in that situation allegedly suggested the driver was turning right and ran a red light.

However, the driver contended they were just waiting for the cars in front to move so they could go straight through the green light.

Nevertheless, the city insisted they pay the fine, arguing that the motorist had attempted to turn right despite a clear red arrow.

Another Victorian driver received a $481 fine and three demerit points for going through a red light just after it changed, in a frantic effort to avoid a fire engine.

The penalties for running a red light differ by state.

In Victoria, disregarding traffic signals—both red lights and red arrows—results in a fine of $494 and three demerit points.

In Queensland, the cost is higher, with a $575 fine and three demerit points for the same offence.

As young drivers face hefty fines for common traffic light errors, the conversation around road safety becomes even more pressing.

This issue resonates deeply, especially for older Australians, who may find themselves navigating similar challenges on the roads.

In a heart-wrenching plea, an elderly driver has shared their experience following a tragic red-light accident, highlighting the critical need for awareness and understanding among all road users.
Key Takeaways
  • An 18-year-old Australian driver named Charli was fined $500 and docked three demerit points for allegedly running a red light while turning right.
  • Charli claimed the light was green and she didn't commit the offence, following several cars during the incident.
  • Her appeal was denied, strongly dividing public opinion over the fairness of the fine and the clarity of traffic signals at the intersection.
  • Red light camera fines are contentious in Australia, with various drivers facing hefty penalties, and the fines and demerit points varying across the states.
Have you or someone you know been caught out by a tricky traffic signal? How did you handle it? Share your stories and tips in the comments below to help fellow drivers navigate these confusing situations.

Sponsored
STOP says the red light GO says the green WAIT says the amber light blinking in between. The picture provided is literally clear as mud. The girl is in a poor position. She could get it overturned in court based on the evidence produced by the so-called authorities being so poor but would have to pay someone to represent her in doing same and that may cost even more. Victorian lights change amber both ways which is a good alert for drivers that they are about to get the green and be prepared to go. In NSW if in a queue you have to hope the first in line is actually ready to go when the lights turn green. No warnings here.

"Apparently, it’s a red arrow. I didn’t know that. You can't see it in the photos,’ she said."

You would know that if you looked at the time.

The entitled generation, nothing is their fault.

"Apparently, it’s a red arrow. I didn’t know that. You can't see it in the photos,’ she said."

You would know that if you looked at the time.

The entitled generation, nothing is their fault.
I can't see the red arrow, and that is an arrogant response. Many of the older generations (of which I am one) seem to be more entitled as evidenced by your response. If you can't see the arrow in the photo how visible is it in the intersection.

Last edited:
Because the Albosleazy government is all about revenue. Every time they do something to make make us believe they care, they start revenue raising to make up for the lost money. Cops are corrupt and are only there to charge people with as many fines as possible to get as much money as they can. This always happens when Labor is in power. How else are they going to cover tax cuts and other rebates without revenue raising. Queensland has some of the most expensive fines in Australia and they push hard to hand out as fines as possible out to get the money. Labor is forever finding new ways to get money out of us.

• Haha
Reactions: Greg350
Traffic fines are a money raising tax on poor people. A $1,000 fine for a $200,000/yr politician is no more than a nuisance. A $1,000 fine for a person struggling to pay their rent or mortage is a major disaster for them. Why not just have demerit points that hit the rich and poor equally.

• Haha
Reactions: Greg350
I can't see the red arrow, and that is an arrogant response. Many of the older generations (of which I am one) seem to be more entitled as evidenced by your response.
You can't see the red arrow? Well when she was driving was she looking at a photo of the red arrow or the actual RED ARROW.

Traffic fines are a money raising tax on poor people. A $1,000 fine for a $200,000/yr politician is no more than a nuisance. A $1,000 fine for a person struggling to pay their rent or mortage is a major disaster for them. Why not just have demerit points that hit the rich and poor equally.
Why don't drivers just abide by simple road rules.

Because the Albosleazy government is all about revenue. Every time they do something to make make us believe they care, they start revenue raising to make up for the lost money. Cops are corrupt and are only there to charge people with as many fines as possible to get as much money as they can. This always happens when Labor is in power. How else are they going to cover tax cuts and other rebates without revenue raising. Queensland has some of the most expensive fines in Australia and they push hard to hand out as fines as possible out to get the money. Labor is forever finding new ways to get money out of us.
Yeah, lets make it political, except you are so far out of your mind that you don't realise the Federal government has nothing to do with STATE road rules and traffic fines. AND each flavour of government does the same, idiot.