Are you guilty of this entitled act at cafes? See why one mum is calling out 'low-class bogan' behavior that's sparking outrage!

In the age of café culture where the aroma of freshly brewed coffee blends with the sound of frothing milk, there's an unspoken etiquette that patrons are expected to follow. It's a code of conduct that respects the ambiance, the staff, and fellow customers seeking a peaceful sip of their favorite beverage. However, it seems that not everyone is on the same page when it comes to café decorum, and one Aussie mum has had enough.

The incident that has sparked a heated debate across social media platforms occurred at Sirens Bayside Café in Townsville, where a local mother witnessed a scene of chaos that left her appalled. The café, known for its family-friendly atmosphere and dedicated play area for children, became the site of what she described as 'low-class bogan behaviour.'

The term 'bogan' is uniquely Australian, often used to describe someone whose conduct is considered uncouth or of low social status. In this instance, it was directed at parents who allow their children to run amok in public spaces without any regard for the property or other people's experiences.

1718687528657.png
A video showed a mum's frustration over kids running wild and causing damage at a cafe. Credit: @itsjustmilliee / TikTok

Millie, the mother-of-two who brought this issue to light, didn't mince her words when she took to TikTok to express her frustration. She observed children left unsupervised, turning the play area into a disaster zone. The damage was so severe that the café owners had to dismantle the entire space to undertake repairs.

This story isn't just about a ruined play area; it's a reflection of a broader issue that resonates with many Australians. Cafés and restaurants often go to great lengths to create welcoming environments for families, including those with young children. However, when parents abdicate their supervisory responsibilities, it can lead to destructive behavior that ruins the experience for everyone.

The café owner, Natalie Giofre, shared her distress with Yahoo News, revealing that the incident left her 'extremely upset.' While most customers are considerate, it only takes a few negligent individuals to create a hazardous situation. Natalie emphasized that while she encourages parents to relax at her café, supervision of their children is a non-negotiable expectation.

The response to Millie's video was overwhelming, with hundreds of parents echoing her sentiments. Comments poured in, with many sharing their own experiences of witnessing similar scenarios. The consensus was clear: allowing children to behave recklessly in public spaces is not only disrespectful but also dangerous.

This story serves as a reminder that while cafés may offer a space for children to play, they are not daycares. Staff are there to provide food, drinks, and service, not to babysit. It's a call to action for parents to be mindful of their children's behavior and to intervene when necessary to prevent damage or injury.

Key Takeaways
  • An Australian mum expressed her frustration on TikTok over parents allowing their children to run wild at a cafe, causing destruction.
  • The incident took place at Sirens Bayside Café in Townsville, where a play area was so badly damaged by unsupervised children that it had to be removed for repairs.
  • The cafe owner, Natalie Giofre, spoke out about the importance of parental supervision at her cafe, stating that while most customers are considerate, the lack of oversight in this case was very upsetting.
  • The mum who recorded the video emphatically criticised the entitled behaviour and lack of parenting, calling it 'low-class bogan behaviour' and stressed that such actions hinder the availability of family-friendly venues.

So, dear members of the Seniors Discount Club, let's open up the conversation. Have you encountered similar situations in your local cafés or restaurants? How do you feel about the balance between child-friendly spaces and parental responsibility? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below. Let's ensure that our beloved cafés remain enjoyable for all patrons, young and old alike.

Sponsored
Parents should be held accountable for their children's behaviour. And if things are destroyed or broken because of said child then the parent should have to pay either for a replacement or full repairs.
When I was young my mother only had to look at me a certain way and I stopped whatever I was doing. A lot of kids these days (thanks to so called do-gooder's amok as they have no idea how to behave correctly.

Back in the 1980's, I worked in a Myer store in a shopping centre. The book, cards & stationery department that I worked in was on the lower level, opposite a Woolworths supermarket. One day, a lady came in & told her two children to "amuse yourselves while I do the shopping!" The lady started to walk off & the kids started to throw books around. I grabbed the kid's hands & ran after the lady, shouting "Excuse me! You forgot your children!" And deposited the children right in front of her. She did not look happy. I went back to work - which was not as a babysitter!

Parents should be held accountable for their children's behaviour. And if things are destroyed or broken because of said child then the parent should have to pay either for a replacement or full repairs.
When I was young my mother only had to look at me a certain way and I stopped whatever I was doing. A lot of kids these days (thanks to so called do-gooder's amok as they have no idea how to behave correctly.
OH! THE LOOK I remember it well, stopped you in your tracks.

I too owned a cafe the elite mums who don't work let the children disrupt others was not on so my business partner walked in and said this is not mcdonalds women look after ur children please. Plus these women sat on 1 cup of coffee for 2 hours. After that they moved elsewhere hoping they could disrupt another cafe. No respect

Put large signs on tables alerting parents that young children must remain quiet and respectful at all times whilst in their Cafe and must be kept chained to their parents chair at all times until their departure in order that everyone inside our Cafe can enjoy the environment that we supply for our happy customers.

OMG
All in the discipline.
When my two were youngsters, the only playgrounds they went to were in local parks.
We did go out occasionally for family meals, but, never DID COFFEE. The boys knew better than to run amok when out in public. They were taught how to behave, be courteous and respectful of other people in the restaurant or cafe. Children are indeed a mirror of their parents.
I feel sorry for the cafe owner in this instance. No more kiddy play areas I say. If they do not sit and behave, or draw, or whatever, then leave them at home with nanna and have your mummy play dates without them.

Reactions: DLHM and SandyM
Yes I have experienced the failure of parents many times to control their children. It is most frustrating when you have a special lunch or dinner and you have to put up with kids running about and generally being disruptive with no chastisement from their parents. I don’t know what the answer is because if the restaurant made a fuss it’s quite likely they would depart possibly without paying the bill. Just another example I think of the entitlement so many display these days

Great scott, if you can afford a Mum's group coffee at a restaurant you can afford to buy a coffee machine and enjoy your group coffee at home. Take turns hosting. Of course those causing the problem wont be reading this!!!!!!!

Reactions: SandyM