Are you getting ripped off? A shopper's warning after a shocking supermarket discovery

Many of us here at the Seniors Discount Club have become much more conscious of our spending habits and take advantage of supermarket sales and weekly offers to minimise our spending.

But even though we make sure to take advantage of discounts and sales whenever we can, what most of us lack is an eye for double-checking if the weight, size, and quantity of products we buy match up with what's printed on the labels.

That was the mistake of Brendon, an Adelaide shopper who recently purchased what he believed was a 1kg package of beef mince.

He was soon met with an unpleasant surprise when, after weighing the packet, he realised that there was only 496g of mince inside!

Screen Shot 2023-07-04 at 10.01.55 AM.png
A shopper bought a 1kg pack of beef mince but discovered that the product only contained 496g of meat when he weighed it. Credit: Facebook.

He went on Facebook to share a warning with fellow shoppers, urging them to be mindful of their purchases and emphasising the importance of double-checking the product weight on labels.

Upon returning the product to the store, Brendon observed a significant inconsistency in quantity within a single packet of mince. He noticed that the 496g portion he had purchased was mistakenly packaged in the more commonly found 1kg packet, which is typically reserved for larger sizes.

Many fellow shoppers commented on Brendon's story and shared similar experiences, with one woman revealing that she has become extra wary of pre-packed produce like strawberries and cherry tomatoes in fear that others may have removed some.

Another shopper revealed that she was always checking the weight of mince with the fruit and veggie scales at the supermarket.

'I use the scales in the produce section to weigh everything before I buy it as I have noticed the tray is not as full sometimes. Quite a few were underweight, and not many over 1kg,' she said.

Woolworths was also made aware of the situation, and they released a statement saying that they have regular audits of all their products and that 'Customers can return a product they're not happy with and get a full refund.'

More eagle-eyed shoppers on the Facebook group couldn't help but point out the likely, innocent reason behind the missing 504g – that the wrong label was put on by mistake.

'Pretty easy to see the wrong label has been used,' one user said.

'I'd say the wrong sticker was accidentally put on the package. No way that was on purpose,' another said.

Meanwhile, plenty of other shoppers made a firm commitment to start inspecting their food more diligently from now on.

One woman commented: 'Wow, I've never checked my meat by weight; I will now, though.'

Another person shared their experience, saying, 'I noticed something off while cooking dinner tonight…like it didn't seem like the usual amount of mince, but I didn't think to weigh it.'

Key Takeaways

• A shopper from Adelaide warns other customers to double-check the weight of their meat after a labelling mishap.
  • He experienced this issue when he purchased a 1kg pack of beef mince only to find out it weighed only 496g.
  • Many shoppers reveal they use the fruit and vegetable scales to verify the weight of their groceries.
  • A Woolworths spokesperson stated that products are regularly audited and checked to ensure compliance with net weight requirements.

No matter the reason, here at the SDC, we strongly advise you to give labels an extra glance whenever you go grocery shopping!

If you ever find yourself unsure about the weight of a product, feel free to approach the customer service department in-store. They're there to assist you, and you can ask for a replacement or a refund if necessary.

By carefully examining those sale items and verifying your labels, you can ensure that you're bringing home not only the greatest bargains but also the correct quantity! In today's world, it's essential to make every dollar count.

Have any of you experienced a similar situation? You know, when you get back home and realise you didn't receive the full amount of something you purchased at the supermarket? Share your stories with us in the comments below! We'd love to hear from you!

Sponsored
Many of us here at the Seniors Discount Club have become much more conscious of our spending habits and take advantage of supermarket sales and weekly offers to minimise our spending.

But even though we make sure to take advantage of discounts and sales whenever we can, what most of us lack is an eye for double-checking if the weight, size, and quantity of products we buy match up with what's printed on the labels.

That was the mistake of Brendon, an Adelaide shopper who recently purchased what he believed was a 1kg package of beef mince.

He was soon met with an unpleasant surprise when, after weighing the packet, he realised that there was only 496g of mince inside!

View attachment 24019
A shopper bought a 1kg pack of beef mince but discovered that the product only contained 496g of meat when he weighed it. Credit: Facebook.

He went on Facebook to share a warning with fellow shoppers, urging them to be mindful of their purchases and emphasising the importance of double-checking the product weight on labels.

Upon returning the product to the store, Brendon observed a significant inconsistency in quantity within a single packet of mince. He noticed that the 496g portion he had purchased was mistakenly packaged in the more commonly found 1kg packet, which is typically reserved for larger sizes.

Many fellow shoppers commented on Brendon's story and shared similar experiences, with one woman revealing that she has become extra wary of pre-packed produce like strawberries and cherry tomatoes in fear that others may have removed some.

Another shopper revealed that she was always checking the weight of mince with the fruit and veggie scales at the supermarket.

'I use the scales in the produce section to weigh everything before I buy it as I have noticed the tray is not as full sometimes. Quite a few were underweight, and not many over 1kg,' she said.

Woolworths was also made aware of the situation, and they released a statement saying that they have regular audits of all their products and that 'Customers can return a product they're not happy with and get a full refund.'

More eagle-eyed shoppers on the Facebook group couldn't help but point out the likely, innocent reason behind the missing 504g – that the wrong label was put on by mistake.

'I'd say the wrong sticker was accidentally put on the package. No way that was on purpose,' another said.

Meanwhile, plenty of other shoppers made a firm commitment to start inspecting their food more diligently from now on.

One woman commented: 'Wow, I've never checked my meat by weight; I will now, though.'

Another person shared their experience, saying, 'I noticed something off while cooking dinner tonight…like it didn't seem like the usual amount of mince, but I didn't think to weigh it.'

Key Takeaways

• A shopper from Adelaide warns other customers to double-check the weight of their meat after a labelling mishap.
  • He experienced this issue when he purchased a 1kg pack of beef mince only to find out it weighed only 496g.
  • Many shoppers reveal they use the fruit and vegetable scales to verify the weight of their groceries.
  • A Woolworths spokesperson stated that products are regularly audited and checked to ensure compliance with net weight requirements.

No matter the reason, here at the SDC, we strongly advise you to give labels an extra glance whenever you go grocery shopping!

If you ever find yourself unsure about the weight of a product, feel free to approach the customer service department in-store. They're there to assist you, and you can ask for a replacement or a refund if necessary.

By carefully examining those sale items and verifying your labels, you can ensure that you're bringing home not only the greatest bargains but also the correct quantity! In today's world, it's essential to make every dollar count.

Have any of you experienced a similar situation? You know, when you get back home and realise you didn't receive the full amount of something you purchased at the supermarket? Share your stories with us in the comments below! We'd love to hear from you!
Sometimes we must give supermarkets the benefit of doubt. It's human beings that do the packaging and human beings make mistakes. As they say "we are only human". How about stop looking for mistakes and if something is wrong, just go back to the store so they can rectify the error. Lets be better people. Are you perfect?

Yes, if we were all perfect there wouldn’t be a higher being no matter your religion.

Reactions: Milica

View attachment 24019

Key Takeaways

Good morning, I am not backing any discrepancy that may occur in prepackaged foods that we buy. All companies are protected by law of weight or volume contained in said package by the letter "e" after kg or L or ml. "E" represents approximate weight or volume contained. It is a symbol used world wide. Hope this clarifies the small variance that may occur across the shelves in any supermarket.

View attachment 24019

Key Takeaways

I buy my meat in bulk, from my butchers then mince it myself thus ensuring I'm getting what I'm paying for

Reactions: Rosalie30

View attachment 24019

Key Takeaways

Thank you for that information. I will definitely be checking the weight of my products in future.❤️

As I have said before find a good butcher and you get what you pay for. Good service when they get to know you and what your requirements are. There is only my mum and I and we eat small amounts, my butcher sells me smaller amounts than what the supermarkets offer.

Reactions: Rhondda@Benji
Good morning, I am not backing any discrepancy that may occur in prepackaged foods that we buy. All companies are protected by law of weight or volume contained in said package by the letter "e" after kg or L or ml. "E" represents approximate weight or volume contained. It is a symbol used world wide. Hope this clarifies the small variance that may occur across the shelves in any supermarket.
I didn't know that about the letters after the weight on prepackaged food. Thank you for this piece of very useful information. However, I don't care if there is an "e" after the weight on my meat, if I am paying for 1kg then I expect to get 1kg nothing less.

Reactions: Rhondda@Benji
I totally agree, I too expect the designated amount as per the label. But it is a very easy alibi for marketers when we have varience in the net contents. We know for sure the underweights would surely outnumber the overweight.

Aha this i

View attachment 24019

Key Takeaways

Aha this is the article i tried sending in this morn lol
Strange these supermarkets always seem to be the winners in all this if we dont catch them out, not very often its the other way around & we get more for our money/what we paid for...hhhmmm

So he couldn't tell the difference in weight when he picked it up? There is a marked difference between 500gm and 1 kilogram. Sounds like another nitpicker, trolling supermarkets to find something to jump up and down about to contribute to his 15 mins of fame 🤪