Are you getting less but paying more? Check out these worrying examples of shrinkflation and inflation in grocery stores

If you're a savvy grocery shopper, chances are you know how to spot a good deal when you see one. You know which supermarket has the best prices for certain items, and you're always on the lookout for special offers and promotions.

But lately, it seems like no matter how hard we try to save money on groceries, the cost of living is just getting higher and higher. In fact, there's even a term for this phenomenon: shrinkflation.

Shrinkflation refers to a situation in which manufacturers reduce the size or quantity of a product without reducing the price.

Something similar must have happened to our favourite foods, which seem to have become smaller in recent days…

Shrinkflation has been a problem all over the world as manufacturers seek to reduce expenses while maintaining a profit. But this doesn't make it any less discouraging to discover that our grocery bills are increasing while the actual food we're buying becomes smaller and smaller.

pexels-photo-95425.jpeg

Many shoppers took notice of how they're paying more for fewer items during their grocery shopping. Credit: Pexels/Erik Scheel.

In a recent Reddit thread, Aussie social media users shared the worst examples of shrinkflation and inflation that they have observed in their local grocery stores.

One user said that they used to be a fan of Pringles until the company 'decided to make a smaller size for the same price'.

They then compared the price and size of Pringles as well as their competitor brands in ALDI. He claimed that the latter is more reasonable in both aspects, commenting: 'Since when do we pay $5 for a tube of half-sized pringles while the ALDI version is cheaper and filled to the brim?'

Meanwhile, another person shared how it feels like these days that an 'affordable' family dinner to them already requires the price of 'fine dining' (this however depends on what part of Australia one lives in).

Apparently, $60 is how much he needs to spend just to buy a piece of fish and chips for his whole family.

'I paid $60 for a piece of fish each and chips for our family. It’s sad but true that I can feed my whole family for 1/3 of the cost with Domino's pizza,' they wrote.

pexels-photo-2034899.jpeg

Fish and chips used to be a budget-friendly snack for most Aussies. Credit: Pexels/Gustav Lundborg.

Elsewhere on the thread, a user shared how he paid $11 for a box of cereal, noting that it used to be sold for $9.

'Very expensive now,' he said.

Several others advised the commenter to avoid buying such food products because of the 'inflation' and rather opt for whole oats instead to make oats and eggs for a cheaper, healthier breakfast.

Another user wrote that their expenses for Pepsi jumped from $2 to $2.8 in a span of a year.

'I'll be back to drinking tap water,' this person joked.

One user also commented on the rising cost of dairy products, saying that they paid $9 for a bag of shredded cheese recently.

'I will be grating my own cheese in the future,' they said.

Another user has a similar experience with grated cheese, sharing: 'I buy shredded cheese in bulk and it’s jumped from $11 to $15 a kilo and that’s if I can find that deal, it's much more expensive if not on sale.'

Key Takeaways

• Shrinkflation refers to a situation in which manufacturers reduce the size or quantity of a product without reducing the price.
  • Examples of shrinkflation and inflation in grocery stores have been shared on a recent Reddit thread in which Aussie social media users discussed the rising cost of a variety of products.
  • Popular items such as Pringles, cheese, cereal, and even soft drinks have been affected.

As you can see, it seems as if there’s no point in trying to spot good deals as these days, it's just a 'roll of the dice' as to how much groceries will cost us. Not great, eh?

What are your thoughts on this? Better yet, have you also observed the same thing happening with your grocery shopping? Share your experiences with us in the comments below!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Sad
Reactions: Zoya, Ricci and BJM
Sponsored
If you're a savvy grocery shopper, chances are you know how to spot a good deal when you see one. You know which supermarket has the best prices for certain items, and you're always on the lookout for special offers and promotions.

But lately, it seems like no matter how hard we try to save money on groceries, the cost of living is just getting higher and higher. In fact, there's even a term for this phenomenon: shrinkflation.

Shrinkflation refers to a situation in which manufacturers reduce the size or quantity of a product without reducing the price.

Something similar must have happened to our favourite foods, which seem to have become smaller in recent days…

Shrinkflation has been a problem all over the world as manufacturers seek to reduce expenses while maintaining a profit. But this doesn't make it any less discouraging to discover that our grocery bills are increasing while the actual food we're buying becomes smaller and smaller.

pexels-photo-95425.jpeg

Many shoppers took notice of how they're paying more for fewer items during their grocery shopping. Credit: Pexels/Erik Scheel.

In a recent Reddit thread, Aussie social media users shared the worst examples of shrinkflation and inflation that they have observed in their local grocery stores.

One user said that they used to be a fan of Pringles until the company 'decided to make a smaller size for the same price'.

They then compared the price and size of Pringles as well as their competitor brands in ALDI. He claimed that the latter is more reasonable in both aspects, commenting: 'Since when do we pay $5 for a tube of half-sized pringles while the ALDI version is cheaper and filled to the brim?'

Meanwhile, another person shared how it feels like these days that an 'affordable' family dinner to them already requires the price of 'fine dining' (this however depends on what part of Australia one lives in).

Apparently, $60 is how much he needs to spend just to buy a piece of fish and chips for his whole family.

'I paid $60 for a piece of fish each and chips for our family. It’s sad but true that I can feed my whole family for 1/3 of the cost with Domino's pizza,' they wrote.

Fish and chips used to be a budget-friendly snack for most Aussies. Credit: Pexels/Gustav Lundborg.

Elsewhere on the thread, a user shared how he paid $11 for a box of cereal, noting that it used to be sold for $9.

Several others advised the commenter to avoid buying such food products because of the 'inflation' and rather opt for whole oats instead to make oats and eggs for a cheaper, healthier breakfast.

Another user wrote that their expenses for Pepsi jumped from $2 to $2.8 in a span of a year.

One user also commented on the rising cost of dairy products, saying that they paid $9 for a bag of shredded cheese recently.

Another user has a similar experience with grated cheese, sharing: 'I buy shredded cheese in bulk and it’s jumped from $11 to $15 a kilo and that’s if I can find that deal, it's much more expensive if not on sale.'

Key Takeaways

• Shrinkflation refers to a situation in which manufacturers reduce the size or quantity of a product without reducing the price.
  • Examples of shrinkflation and inflation in grocery stores have been shared on a recent Reddit thread in which Aussie social media users discussed the rising cost of a variety of products.
  • Popular items such as Pringles, cheese, cereal, and even soft drinks have been affected.

As you can see, it seems as if there’s no point in trying to spot good deals as these days, it's just a 'roll of the dice' as to how much groceries will cost us. Not great, eh?

What are your thoughts on this? Better yet, have you also observed the same thing happening with your grocery shopping? Share your experiences with us in the comments below!
Try being on an allergy or intolerance diet. U can add dollars to those prices

pexels-photo-95425.jpeg

Key Takeaways

Try being on an allergy or intolerance diet. U can add dollars to those prices
Same thing happens when you are diabetic. The price you have to pay is approx double. eg: Sugar v Splenda (sugar alternative) last time I bought Splenda was over $7. Where as a 2 kilo bag of sugar was only a few dollars. Sadly, if you have special dietary needs you get ripped off.

Not Shrinkflation but INFLATION of the highest order. When Aldi opened several years ago in WA, I was thrilled to be able to purchase a 500g packet of Dog Beef Treats for $4.99. This product has been steadily increasing at the rate of $1 per year, and today the very same product is $9.99. THey haven't been available at the $5.99 price for many years! Now a cheaper similar product at Bi-W (Woof-bix brand).

julius-dog-beef-liver-treatz-500g-large.jpeg

Reactions: Ricci

pexels-photo-95425.jpeg

Key Takeaways

Cheese 1kg has gone from $6.50 start last year to $12 on Saturday. Aldi was the cheapest with a coles and Woolies $1 or so more last year. However in last few months Aldi has has not had any in stock when I visit. Why has cheese gone up but none of the other milk products have followed with such a dramatic rise. It’s almost DOUBLE within 12 months

Pretty much every grocery item has become smaller, less full, less packets in multi packet items. The product I have really noticed is Arnotts biscuits, especially the sweet ones. Tina wafers for example would be lucky to be three quarters the size they used to be, but the price has gone up. Oh, but it is so that people eat less unhealthy food if it is made smaller, therefore helping the obesity problem. Do they not think people will still eat as much, they just have to eat more biscuits, oh but wait, then arnotts get to sell more and rip off the consumer even more. Win, win for arnotts, lose, lose for the consumers.

pexels-photo-95425.jpeg

Key Takeaways

This is not new. It has been going on for decades. My husband first noticed the size of Wagon Wheels were smaller than they had previously been, 50 years ago.

Reactions: DiRose and Observer
Buyer Resistance, people!
Stop buying, and maybe the manufacturers will take notice when stores delete their product lines.
Ask yourself: "Do I really need this item?" and "Will me NOT buying it hurt them more than it hurts me?"
You will save money and your waistline might just improve, too.

pexels-photo-95425.jpeg

Key Takeaways

I store a sliced loaf of Mixed grain bread in an airtight stainless container and I would squash them in and have four slices and a crust over. The Bread Maker has reduced the slice size and my lid fits easily and I have two crusts over so less volume and and the price remains the same.

Next thing would be smaller shopping trolleys to make your shopping look more 😂🤣😹😅
But that’s exactly what Woolworths have done … well in Adelaide anyway!!!! Opened a brand new store at Fulham gardens not much more than a year ago with brand new trolleys and now they have all been replaced all the trolleys with “recycled plastic” trolleys that are soooooo much smaller, struggle to get 4 shopping bags in them. But they do wheel nicely 😆

• Haha
Reactions: Defiant540 and Zoya

pexels-photo-95425.jpeg

Key Takeaways

I've noticed things like cream cheese and condensed milk are getting smaller. We may have to alter our recipes for cakes/ slices etc