Are you breaking Airbnb rules? This 'ridiculous' list is going viral – avoid being a target of 'entitled' hosts

It's true that booking accommodation through Airbnb can make trips more affordable compared to staying in hotels. But this cost-saving option doesn't always come without its fair share of problems.

Recently, an Australian Airbnb host's 'ridiculous' list of rules – including restrictions on toilet paper, luggage allowances and an off-limits washing machine – has gone viral, causing Australian travellers to voice their concerns and frustrations on social media.

1685685895014.png
The online community mocked the ‘ridiculous’ list of rules. Source: Reddit

The list in question sparked outrage when it was shared on Reddit by an anonymous guest, who explained they were charged $57 per night for their lodging. Taking up this situation as an example, we thought it would be useful to highlight some of the issues hosts and guests might encounter.

The rules included:
  • If you have more than two large items with each guest, you have to keep them in external storage.
  • Visitors are strictly not allowed without prior permission.
  • No use of washing machine or kitchen for guests staying less than four days.
  • No cooking or washing machine use for guests staying less than four days.
  • Working or studying from home [is] not allowed.
  • WIFI [is] only adequate for making video calls or light internet use.
  • Toilet roll supplied only on the first day.

Understandably, the Reddit user who shared the list asked for other users' thoughts, as these rules seemed a bit excessive. The post attracted more than 3000 commenters — many had strong opinions on the growing 'entitlement' of Airbnb hosts. In fact, several said this type of behaviour was turning them away from the platform altogether.

A few of the comments included: 'I really don’t understand why people still put up with Airbnb. All of these ridiculous rules are just not worth the headache of staying there,' and 'Airbnb owners are getting so petty lately. I used to LOVE using Airbnb, but these little rules and hidden fees are getting silly. I’m renting your house, period. I will use everything with care and respect and leave it better than I found it … but don’t limit me on wash cycles.'

According to Airbnb’s policies, if a listing advertises 'essential amenities', all listed amenities should be available to guests without restrictions. If access to any amenities is limited, those restrictions should be fully disclosed on the listing page.

So, what should you do if you encounter 'ridiculous' rules or find yourself in a situation where the Airbnb description misled you? The platform encourages guests to 'promptly report violations'. It suggests documenting the issue, trying to resolve it with the host first, and then reporting it to Airbnb.

Airbnb vs. Hotels​

When it comes to choosing accommodation on a trip, you're typically faced with the difficult choice between hotels and Airbnb. Here is a table that can help you determine what choice suits your preferences more:

AIRBNB
HOTELS
Often cheaper rates Attractive loyalty programs
Discounts for longer staysFrequent flyer discounts
Equipped with modern kitchen facilitiesComprehensive amenities (pool, gym, etc.)
Basic amenities provided (extra pillows, toiletries)Cleaning services
Insider tips and conversations with localsProfessional service and reliability
Potential hidden costs (extra cleaning, security deposits)Additional fees (service charges, etc.)

It's essential for travellers to carefully consider these pros and cons before making their decision. Each option offers unique advantages and drawbacks, and it ultimately depends on the traveller's preferences and needs.

Key Takeaways
  • An Airbnb host's list of rules has gone viral, sparking outrage from users over the strict limitations on amenities.
  • Many Aussies complained of growing 'entitlement' among Airbnb hosts, affecting their experience on the platform.
  • People are increasingly turning away from Airbnb due to the restrictive rules and hidden fees implemented by some hosts.
  • The platform has faced recent criticism in Australia for potentially contributing to the housing crisis as hosts list their properties as short-term stays rather than long-term rentals.
This list of rules serves as a cautionary tale for both hosts and guests. As a host, it's important to maintain fairness, transparency, and reasonableness with your rules and expectations. And as a guest, take the time to thoroughly read through the listing information and communicate openly with your host to avoid any potential misunderstandings.

But let's not allow this story to dampen our enthusiasm for the benefits of Airbnb. Despite occasional hiccups, the platform continues to offer an affordable way for travellers to explore the world and connect with locals, enhancing their travel experiences. So, with these cautionary tales in mind, let's stay informed, embark on new adventures, and keep travelling!

Now, tell us, have you ever encountered any amusing or unusual rules while staying at an Airbnb or any other type of accommodation? Share your funny and relatable experiences with us!

Sponsored
Too late when you’ve paid your money and are already in the house, confronted with this mostly ridiculous list of rules.

Well, if you’ve never had these issues before you’re not expecting to find that you can’t cook if you’re there for less than four days! These sorts of rules are not on the platform, although they should be. I repeat, too late once you’re there!!

Well, if you’ve never had these issues before you’re not expecting to find that you can’t cook if you’re there for less than four days! These sorts of rules are not on the platform, although they should be. I repeat, too late once you’re there!!
Oh for goodness sake !

It's true that booking accommodation through Airbnb can make trips more affordable compared to staying in hotels. But this cost-saving option doesn't always come without its fair share of problems.

Recently, an Australian Airbnb host's 'ridiculous' list of rules – including restrictions on toilet paper, luggage allowances and an off-limits washing machine – has gone viral, causing Australian travellers to voice their concerns and frustrations on social media.

View attachment 21355

The list in question sparked outrage when it was shared on Reddit by an anonymous guest, who explained they were charged $57 per night for their lodging. Taking up this situation as an example, we thought it would be useful to highlight some of the issues hosts and guests might encounter.

The rules included:
  • If you have more than two large items with each guest, you have to keep them in external storage.

Understandably, the Reddit user who shared the list asked for other users' thoughts, as these rules seemed a bit excessive. The post attracted more than 3000 commenters — many had strong opinions on the growing 'entitlement' of Airbnb hosts. In fact, several said this type of behaviour was turning them away from the platform altogether.

A few of the comments included: 'I really don’t understand why people still put up with Airbnb. All of these ridiculous rules are just not worth the headache of staying there,' and 'Airbnb owners are getting so petty lately. I used to LOVE using Airbnb, but these little rules and hidden fees are getting silly. I’m renting your house, period. I will use everything with care and respect and leave it better than I found it … but don’t limit me on wash cycles.'

According to Airbnb’s policies, if a listing advertises 'essential amenities', all listed amenities should be available to guests without restrictions. If access to any amenities is limited, those restrictions should be fully disclosed on the listing page.

So, what should you do if you encounter 'ridiculous' rules or find yourself in a situation where the Airbnb description misled you? The platform encourages guests to 'promptly report violations'. It suggests documenting the issue, trying to resolve it with the host first, and then reporting it to Airbnb.

Airbnb vs. Hotels​

When it comes to choosing accommodation on a trip, you're typically faced with the difficult choice between hotels and Airbnb. Here is a table that can help you determine what choice suits your preferences more:

AIRBNB
HOTELS
Equipped with modern kitchen facilitiesComprehensive amenities (pool, gym, etc.)
Potential hidden costs (extra cleaning, security deposits)Additional fees (service charges, etc.)

It's essential for travellers to carefully consider these pros and cons before making their decision. Each option offers unique advantages and drawbacks, and it ultimately depends on the traveller's preferences and needs.

Key Takeaways

• An Airbnb host's list of rules has gone viral, sparking outrage from users over the strict limitations on amenities.
  • Many Aussies complained of growing 'entitlement' among Airbnb hosts, affecting their experience on the platform.
  • People are increasingly turning away from Airbnb due to the restrictive rules and hidden fees implemented by some hosts.
  • The platform has faced recent criticism in Australia for potentially contributing to the housing crisis as hosts list their properties as short-term stays rather than long-term rentals.
This list of rules serves as a cautionary tale for both hosts and guests. As a host, it's important to maintain fairness, transparency, and reasonableness with your rules and expectations. And as a guest, take the time to thoroughly read through the listing information and communicate openly with your host to avoid any potential misunderstandings.

But let's not allow this story to dampen our enthusiasm for the benefits of Airbnb. Despite occasional hiccups, the platform continues to offer an affordable way for travellers to explore the world and connect with locals, enhancing their travel experiences. So, with these cautionary tales in mind, let's stay informed, embark on new adventures, and keep travelling!

Now, tell us, have you ever encountered any amusing or unusual rules while staying at an Airbnb or any other type of accommodation? Share your funny and relatable experiences with us!
That’s just ridiculous rules…I definitely wouldn’t book to stay there

Reactions: Thecheesequeen

View attachment 21355

The rules included:

Airbnb vs. Hotels​

AIRBNB
HOTELS

Key Takeaways

If I am going on a holiday no matter for how long, I don't ecpect to do my own catering or cleaniing up with the exception of laundry as my laundry is done using cold wateronly as I have found that hot water washing has a detrimental effect on my gear. So for me I'll stay in a hotel or at a pinch motel.

Well then ask a few questions before you rent. It’s not rocket science!!
Why should you need to ask such a ridiculous question, if you are renting the place, whether you are staying one night or ten, you should expect to have full use of any facilities in the place.
What next, for heaven's sake, bring your own bedding, don't use the shower unless you're staying more than 4 days.
These entitled owners need a reality check. I would report them to the airbandb website.

Reactions: Thecheesequeen
We stayed in a place in SA where one of the rules was dispose of all rubbish. When we left we emptied the inside rubbish bin (1 bag) & put it into the council rubbish bin. Got a call saying I was being charged $15 for rubbish disposal as there was rubbish in the council bin. WTF. Told them there was already rubbish in this bin & that we only added one bag. Then proceeded to charge me $10 instead. Has this ever happened to anyone else?

• Angry
Reactions: Loubeauxarts
We stayed in a place in SA where one of the rules was dispose of all rubbish. When we left we emptied the inside rubbish bin (1 bag) & put it into the council rubbish bin. Got a call saying I was being charged $15 for rubbish disposal as there was rubbish in the council bin. WTF. Told them there was already rubbish in this bin & that we only added one bag. Then proceeded to charge me $10 instead. Has this ever happened to anyone else?
I've never stayed in b&b, but have booked one in 5 weeks time, as we have to travel a fair way for a wedding.
I certainly hope we don't cop all this. ridiculous crap. Think I'll go back to staying in an ordinary motel, at least you get all the service there and none of this crazy bull**"t.
It appears to me that b&b proprietors are only interested in the $$$ but don't want to do any work to go along with it.
I always leave any accommodation clean and tidy, but the way these people carry on it's a wonder they don't want you to wash the linen, mop the floors and shampoo the carpets before you leave.

We are the same. Always leave the place clean & tidy with sheets, towels etc in a pile in the either the laundry or bathroom. Some of the cleaning fees Airbnb's charge are ridiculous. Makes you want to just walk out the door after your stay sometimes.

I’ve used Air BnB several times, and have never had to deal with any of these stupid rules. Usually you just leave your rubbish in the council bin, and if bin night happens while you’re there you take the bin to the curb. To say you’re not allowed to cook is stupid. And how do they know how much luggage you have, and why does it matter? The worst we’ve had to deal with was one house where the doonas were old and thin. I left a note in the house suggesting it might be time to replace them, and the woman thanked me in a email for letting her know and said she would see to it.

Why should you need to ask such a ridiculous question, if you are renting the place, whether you are staying one night or ten, you should expect to have full use of any facilities in the place.
What next, for heaven's sake, bring your own bedding, don't use the shower unless you're staying more than 4 days.
These entitled owners need a reality check. I would report them to the airbandb website.
Some places do require you to bring you to bring your own bedding. Take a chill pill dear!

I’ve used Air BnB several times, and have never had to deal with any of these stupid rules. Usually you just leave your rubbish in the council bin, and if bin night happens while you’re there you take the bin to the curb. To say you’re not allowed to cook is stupid. And how do they know how much luggage you have, and why does it matter? The worst we’ve had to deal with was one house where the doonas were old and thin. I left a note in the house suggesting it might be time to replace them, and the woman thanked me in a email for letting her know and said she would see to it.
Some places do require you to bring you to bring your own bedding. Take a chill pill dear!

More fool you, if you do. Never heard anything so ridiculous in my life. I don't think I need a chill pill, think you need a reality check though.

You usually have to take your own sheets and pillowcases, but not your own blankets or doonas.
Yes, that is correct. I have only had to take sheets and pillow cases once. They did inform me beforehand, so it was no problem.