Are you being overcharged every time at checkouts? This ‘loophole’ is costing Aussies a fortune!

In an age where tapping a card has become second nature, many Australians unknowingly pay a premium every time they make a purchase.

A 'loophole' in the current system allows businesses to impose surcharges on debit and credit card transactions at the checkout, and it's hitting consumers hard in the wallet.

Under the Australian Consumer Law and the Competition and Consumer Act, businesses are not prohibited from applying these surcharges to electronic payments. This is true even for establishments that have opted to go cashless.

What's more, there's no legal obligation for businesses to provide a fee-free payment option at the checkout.

shutterstock_2416846509.jpg
A ‘loophole’ in paying cards at checkouts costs Aussies a fortune. Credit: Shutterstock

This oversight in the system is proving costly for Australians, with estimates suggesting that card surcharges could be draining up to $4 billion annually from consumers' pockets.

The issue has caught the attention of Bennelong MP Jerome Laxale, who advocated for 'urgent reform' to the surcharge system.

‘Whether or not a business applies a surcharge is up to them, but this loophole furthers my call to have a fee-free digital option available for merchants and consumers,’ Laxale said.

‘The system that’s in place for 20 years doesn’t make sense in 2024.’

The debate over surcharges was brought into sharp focus when Laxale questioned Commonwealth Bank Chief Executive Matt Comyn during a House of Representatives economics committee meeting.

The MP highlighted the discrepancy in costs when a cup of coffee priced at $5 in cash incurs an additional surcharge, making it $5.08 when paid for by card.

Comyn responded by explaining that costs are 'embedded for cash but not embedded for digital' due to the mechanisms governing electronic payments.

Despite this, consumer law dictates that businesses can go card-only and apply a surcharge, provided they are transparent about the payment methods they accept and the total minimum price payable.

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) further stipulated that a surcharge must not exceed the cost of using that payment type and that businesses must be able to justify the surcharge.

If no fee-free option is available, businesses are required to include the ‘minimum surcharge payable in the displayed price for its products or services’.

This means that the price of a coffee at a card-only café should be advertised as $5.08, ensuring that consumers are not misled about pricing.

‘Under the Australian Consumer Law, all businesses must display clear and accurate prices and must not mislead consumers about their prices,’ the ACCC spokesperson said.

Interestingly, while the Australian rental sector, governed by state laws, offers protections against surcharges by ensuring at least one fee-free payment option, the retail sector does not have similar safeguards.

Laxale has called on the Reserve Bank of Australia, which enforces surcharging rules alongside the ACCC, to reform the system and introduce a fee-free option for retailers.

‘My advice to the RBA was that they’ve got the public on their side on this,’ he said.

‘They need to be bold and do what others around the world are doing and ensure that, at the checkout, there’s fairness for small businesses and customers.’
Key Takeaways
  • Australians are not protected from debit or credit card surcharges at checkouts due to a loophole in Australian Consumer Law and the Competition and Consumer Act.
  • The lack of a legal requirement for businesses to offer a fee-free payment option at the checkout is costing Australians up to $4 billion a year.
  • Bennelong MP Jerome Laxale is calling for urgent reform to the surcharge system, advocating for a fee-free digital payment option for merchants and consumers.
  • Businesses must be clear about their surcharges and ensure they do not exceed the cost to use the payment type, while the ACCC states that the displayed price of goods and services must include the minimum surcharge payable.
Have you noticed these surcharges affecting your budget? What are your thoughts on the need for a fee-free payment option? Share your experiences and opinions in the comments below!

Sponsored
It's no different to the charge from ATM machines, and people are usually informed of the charge by a notice ...if you don't want the surcharge..don't use your card!
I agree with your comment to not use your card but it is getting harder when businesses can choose to go cashless.

Where this is happening, not wanting to use a card/having cash only means you have to leave and go elsewhere.

If it's an item you're wanting to buy, you then have to go looking for it in other stores. Wasted time.

If it's a cafe/eatery, you might like what's on offer but you can't stay.

Reactions: Jennie and PattiB
The banks are good aren’t they? First they charge you for having a card then you get charged every time you use it. Convenience comes at a price.

The business can claim the bank surcharge back on their tax as a cost of doing business but they pass this charge on to the consumer and blame the bank. The business is the one profiting from this surcharge in the end
Do you understand how claiming on tax works?
It's not like the full fee reduces your tax by that amount. If the fee is 50 cents, that's claimed as a cost, this reduces the income by 50 cents so you pay tax on that lower income amount. Hence it's still a cost, although lower, to the business.

I use my card to pay for coffee and I am withdrawing it from a savings account 'option 2' and I get charged the surcharge - $5.80 + 8 cents and on $6.00 + .30 cents. Also you can't use 'cash' when a business goes 'cashless' and 'card only'. What I really object to is that because my card is credit/debit card is being asked to 'tap' and not being given option to insert and then I have transfer money from savings account to credit card account to cover it.

• Wow
Reactions: Jennie and PattiB
The cost of using a generic ATM is horrendous. Why aren't you warned of the surcharge at the BEGINNING of the transaction rather than AFTER you enter you PIN, withdrawal amount and receipt requirement of surcharges related to their use?

Next door to where I live, the "service station' ATM charges a whopping $3.50 per transaction. Is there legislation for the maximum surcharge for an ATM? Never again!

Reactions: Jennie
The only place that affects my money is ALDI. Whether you tap, insert or slide, they charge you. I had my a/c in the car fixed, before I agreed on price I asked the person do you charge, he said no. What he said was true, no charge. I have never been charged extra anywhere yet.

I am experiencing this at more and more retailers. Aldi is the classic one. Low prices PLUS a surcharge.

Any notification must be well hidden. There is nothing obvious at the checkout or cash register, in many cases. Some do have signs, to be fair.

Not that these charges are fair at all for customers!

NOTE: I know that if you insert your card and put in a PIN, rather than Tap and Go, you can avoid the surcharge for Savings accounts. I did thus at Aldi recently.

Not sure if this works with Credit cards!?

I must try that next time.

Reactions: Veggiepatch
The cost of using a generic ATM is horrendous. Why aren't you warned of the surcharge at the BEGINNING of the transaction rather than AFTER you enter you PIN, withdrawal amount and receipt requirement of surcharges related to their use?

Next door to where I live, the "service station' ATM charges a whopping $3.50 per transaction. Is there legislation for the maximum surcharge for an ATM? Never again!
i thouoght it was common knowlege. use one of the big banks no charge or go to woolies.

Reactions: Jennie
Well with no-one wanting cash these days, then there shouldn't be a surcharge because that's double-dipping, surcharge & then Bank fees.