Are You Accidentally Delaying Your Flight? Find Out If You're Guilty of This Infamous Airport Faux Pas!

Traveling can be an exhilarating experience, offering a chance to explore new horizons and create lasting memories. However, for many of us, especially those who've seen the golden age of air travel transform into the hustle and bustle of modern airports, the journey can sometimes be as taxing as it is exciting. One aspect of air travel that can cause unnecessary stress and delays is the behavior of passengers at the boarding gate, a phenomenon that has been humorously dubbed as 'gate lice' by flight attendants and frequent flyers alike.

The term 'gate lice' might sound like a peculiar airport jargon, but it's a label that's stuck for a reason. It refers to those passengers who, perhaps out of eagerness or anxiety, crowd around the boarding gate well before their group is called to board. This swarm of travelers, often inexperienced and traveling in economy class, inadvertently creates a blockade, making it difficult for other passengers, particularly those in First and Business Class, to access the gate when their priority boarding is announced.

But it's not just a matter of inconvenience. This premature queuing can lead to genuine delays. Imagine a passenger in a wheelchair trying to navigate through a throng of people, or the confusion that ensues when 'gate lice' have to be ushered away to allow for orderly boarding. It's a domino effect that can set back the departure time, affecting everyone on the flight.

1720675099299.png
Gate lice refers to passengers who crowd the boarding gate too early, obstructing others and potentially delaying the flight. Credit: Shutterstock

The behavior has become so widespread that it's caught the attention of airline staff and even inspired social media pages dedicated to 'passenger shaming'. Flight attendant and blogger Rich Henderson has been vocal about the issue, advising travelers to keep clear of the boarding area until their group number is called. It's a simple act of courtesy that can streamline the boarding process for everyone.

Psychologists have weighed in on the matter, too. According to Shira Gabriel, a psychology professor at the University of Buffalo, the 'gate lice' phenomenon may be a classic case of social conformity. When people see others lining up, they assume there's a benefit to doing so and follow suit – a 'monkey see, monkey do' scenario. But unless you have a specific reason to board early, such as requiring extra assistance or traveling with young children, it's best to relax and wait for your turn.

For our seasoned travelers over 60, who have likely witnessed the evolution of air travel etiquette, this may seem like common sense. However, it's a reminder that patience and respect for the boarding process can go a long way in ensuring a timely departure. Next time you're at the airport, resist the urge to join the cluster at the gate. Instead, find a comfortable spot to sit back and observe the boarding process unfold. When your group is called, you can board with ease, knowing you've done your part to keep the flight on schedule.
Key Takeaways
  • 'Gate lice' is a term used by flight attendants to describe passengers who crowd around the boarding gate too early, obstructing others and potentially delaying the flight.
  • Their behaviour is largely influenced by a herd mentality, where people line up because they see others doing it and believe there is a benefit to it.
  • Gates crowding can also hinder premium passengers and those requiring special assistance from boarding smoothly.
  • It's advised to stay out of the way of the boarding area until your boarding group number or zone is called to improve the boarding process for everyone.
So, dear members of the Seniors Discount Club, let's lead by example and show the younger generations how to travel with grace and efficiency. Share your thoughts and experiences on airport etiquette in the comments below. Have you encountered 'gate lice' on your travels? How do you navigate the boarding process to ensure a smooth takeoff? Your insights could help fellow travelers avoid becoming accidental flight delayers themselves.

Sponsored
Making a mountain out of a molehill. It might well be the case in Muslim countries because of their ignorance. In some cases it is desirous to get in before all the others - if you have a large carry-on bag it might be difficult to get overhead storage. Also I have seen on many occasions people getting on with 3 and 4 carry-on articles. It also pays to get on early if you are concealing that exquisite fruit called durian. Going to Asia shortly to get my annual fill of durian.

It’s not lack of forethought but the need to be able to get first to be able to have room for your onboard luggage. We were travelling with many seats vacant, however a large sports team had taken all the overhead luggage compartments. It’s time that when you are allocated a seat number it corresponds with the reserving of the same number on the luggage compartment, saving time during boarding and also people to needing to get up and locate their luggage elsewhere in the plane when reaching their destination

Reactions: Michelle1967
It’s not lack of forethought but the need to be able to get first to be able to have room for your onboard luggage. We were travelling with many seats vacant, however a large sports team had taken all the overhead luggage compartments. It’s time that when you are allocated a seat number it corresponds with the reserving of the same number on the luggage compartment, saving time during boarding and also people to needing to get up and locate their luggage elsewhere in the plane when reaching their destination
this is when you take out that luggage over your seat and place yours in the compartment.

More to do with overhead luggage. People think it is ok to take a lot of carry on luggage and then race to the front of the queue so they can then use up all the space in overhead storage. I see it all the time. I feel carryon luggage should be monitored a bit better by airlines as travellers are often not adult enough or to selfish to do it themselves

I flew from Melbourne to Perth in April when some arsewipes decided to place TWO prams in the overhead luggage storage above my head. No room for my stuff at all - a small backpack. I told them IN NO UNCERTAIN TERMS to fuck it off. The bitch and her hired clown tried to be tough and it backfired. Their arrogance turned into dismay when cabin staff told them to remove it.

Ha ha stupid self intitled wankers!

My carry on bag is always small enough to fit under the seat in front of me. I don’t use the overhead compartments. There are always too many greedy people that fill them up with their oversized cases.