Are supermarkets ripping you off? Lamb purchase leaves shopper frustrated

When it comes to making the most out of your money, it’s not always so easy. This is why it pays to take a closer look at what you’re buying, especially when it comes to supermarket purchases.

This was certainly the case for one Woolworths customer who discovered that the lamb that she’d purchased from her local store looked a bit different than what she was expecting.

A Woolworths shopper was left infuriated after discovering that their ‘perfect’ cut of lamb was anything but.

Sharing to Twitter, Nicole said she was frustrated after realising that the 970g piece of Butterflied Lamb Shoulder With Rosemary & Mint included 320g of fat.

‘Bought a butterflied lamb shoulder. It’s lamb, so you expect a little fat,’ she wrote in her post.

‘But at $24 per kilo, I think having a third of the weight as fat is beyond the pale,’ she continued.

meat1.jpg
The shopper was disappointed with her discovery. Credit: Markus Spiske/Pexels

Alongside her post, the customer also shared images of the fat on her kitchen scale and another one that showed the large, unusable chunks of meat laid out on a chopping board.

A spokesperson told reporters that the supermarket would be investigating the issue with its supplier.

‘We pride ourselves on providing high-quality meat cuts to our customers, and we’re disappointed to see this,’ the spokesperson explained.

‘If our customers are ever disappointed with the quality of our fresh meat, we encourage them to return it to their local store to receive a replacement or a refund.’

It is understood that Woolworths has also contacted Nicole for more information regarding the issue, and to provide a refund.

meat2.jpg
The customer also shared these photos online. Credit: Twitter

Several shoppers who saw the post online shared their disappointment over the customer’s find.

‘Big of them to offer a refund if you return it, but what does the family do for a meal when they open the packet to prepare dinner and find this, and it may be all they have on hand?’ One commented.

‘Very poor,’ they added.

Someone else shared: ‘I bought 550g worth of chicken breast from Woolies once for a recipe that required 500g.’ The same shopper added that the underside of the chicken meat they bought was ‘so wet’ they only ended up with 350g of meat.

'I won't be buying fresh chicken from Woolies again. What a scam!' They claimed.

Another wrote: ‘About ten years ago, I picked up two packets of 1kg mince, and it didn't feel the same. Weighed in one of those fruit and veg weight things, and both were way off by 200g.’

However, other social media users sided with the supermarket giant.

‘Fat is edible. If you don't like to eat it, that's on you, and you're the one making the choice to trim it all off rather than eating it,’ one remarked.

Someone else responded: ‘They're not selling something inedible. It's part of the product. If you want lean lamb, don't buy a budget cut like a butterflied shoulder.’

While another Twitter user chimed in: ‘How can you purchase a shoulder of lamb and expect anything different? Have you not bought one before?’

This comes after another Woolworths customer discovered a large piece of fat hidden amongst the cuts of meat in a packet of beef they had just bought. This discovery not only left the customer disappointed but also raised concerns about transparency in the food industry.

‘One whole chunk of fat hidden among the meat. Just fat, no meat – was devastated,’ the shopper wrote in a post they uploaded to social media. You can read Woolworths’ response here.

In another instance, a Coles customer who bought mince from her local store was left nauseated after she weighed the amount of ‘juice’ and fat that came from the meat she had purchased.

Horrified by the liquid, she admitted she would ‘never buy this’ again. However, this sparked mixed reactions from other customers who claimed that standard mince has a good amount of fat in it. You can read the rest of the story here.
Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths customer has expressed frustration after discovering that a butterflied lamb shoulder she purchased contained a significant amount of fat.
  • The customer shared images on Twitter showing the large chunks of fat and the weight of the fat on her kitchen scales.
  • In a statement, a Woolworths spokesperson said they would be investigating the issue with their food supplier, as they pride themselves on providing high-quality meat cuts.
  • Woolworths has contacted the customer for more information, to follow up with their meat production partner, and to provide a refund.
Have you ever bought a disappointing product at the supermarket? How did you handle it? We’d love to hear your stories in the comments below.

Sponsored
When it comes to making the most out of your money, it’s not always so easy. This is why it pays to take a closer look at what you’re buying, especially when it comes to supermarket purchases.

This was certainly the case for one Woolworths customer who discovered that the lamb that she’d purchased from her local store looked a bit different than what she was expecting.

A Woolworths shopper was left infuriated after discovering that their ‘perfect’ cut of lamb was anything but.

Sharing to Twitter, Nicole said she was frustrated after realising that the 970g piece of Butterflied Lamb Shoulder With Rosemary & Mint included 320g of fat.

‘Bought a butterflied lamb shoulder. It’s lamb, so you expect a little fat,’ she wrote in her post.

‘But at $24 per kilo, I think having a third of the weight as fat is beyond the pale,’ she continued.

View attachment 19072

Alongside her post, the customer also shared images of the fat on her kitchen scale and another one that showed the large, unusable chunks of meat laid out on a chopping board.

A spokesperson told reporters that the supermarket would be investigating the issue with its supplier.

‘We pride ourselves on providing high-quality meat cuts to our customers, and we’re disappointed to see this,’ the spokesperson explained.

‘If our customers are ever disappointed with the quality of our fresh meat, we encourage them to return it to their local store to receive a replacement or a refund.’

It is understood that Woolworths has also contacted Nicole for more information regarding the issue, and to provide a refund.

View attachment 19073

Several shoppers who saw the post online shared their disappointment over the customer’s find.

‘Big of them to offer a refund if you return it, but what does the family do for a meal when they open the packet to prepare dinner and find this, and it may be all they have on hand?’ One commented.

‘Very poor,’ they added.

Someone else shared: ‘I bought 550g worth of chicken breast from Woolies once for a recipe that required 500g.’ The same shopper added that the underside of the chicken meat they bought was ‘so wet’ they only ended up with 350g of meat.

'I won't be buying fresh chicken from Woolies again. What a scam!' They claimed.

Another wrote: ‘About ten years ago, I picked up two packets of 1kg mince, and it didn't feel the same. Weighed in one of those fruit and veg weight things, and both were way off by 200g.’

‘Fat is edible. If you don't like to eat it, that's on you, and you're the one making the choice to trim it all off rather than eating it,’ one remarked.

Someone else responded: ‘They're not selling something inedible. It's part of the product. If you want lean lamb, don't buy a budget cut like a butterflied shoulder.’

While another Twitter user chimed in: ‘How can you purchase a shoulder of lamb and expect anything different? Have you not bought one before?’

This comes after another Woolworths customer discovered a large piece of fat hidden amongst the cuts of meat in a packet of beef they had just bought. This discovery not only left the customer disappointed but also raised concerns about transparency in the food industry.

‘One whole chunk of fat hidden among the meat. Just fat, no meat – was devastated,’ the shopper wrote in a post they uploaded to social media. You can read Woolworths’ response here.

In another instance, a Coles customer who bought mince from her local store was left nauseated after she weighed the amount of ‘juice’ and fat that came from the meat she had purchased.

Horrified by the liquid, she admitted she would ‘never buy this’ again. However, this sparked mixed reactions from other customers who claimed that standard mince has a good amount of fat in it. You can read the rest of the story here.
Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths customer has expressed frustration after discovering that a butterflied lamb shoulder she purchased contained a significant amount of fat.
  • The customer shared images on Twitter showing the large chunks of fat and the weight of the fat on her kitchen scales.
  • In a statement, a Woolworths spokesperson said they would be investigating the issue with their food supplier, as they pride themselves on providing high-quality meat cuts.
  • Woolworths has contacted the customer for more information, to follow up with their meat production partner, and to provide a refund.
Have you ever bought a disappointing product at the supermarket? How did you handle it? We’d love to hear your stories in the comments below.

View attachment 19072

View attachment 19073

‘Very poor,’ they added.

Key Takeaways

Butchers are not a trades people , when the government put a end to butchery , anyone can cut meat,then sell it to the general public. Same in ladies hairdressers

Butchers are not trades people, when the government put a end to butchery, anyone can cut meat ,then sell it to the general public.Same in ladies hairdressers no trade certificate needed.

I have never had a problem with any fresh meat that I have purchased at Woolworths be it lamb, beef, chicken or pork. I prefer my meat to have fat left on it, so when it cooks it doesn't dry out. Once cooked it's an easy matter to remove the fat. I do wonder sometimes about the compaints of these people. They obviously don't know their cuts of meat very well. A shoulder of lamb will have a lot more fat on it than a more expensive cut, for example, a leg of lamb. I must admit though, I rarely buy my meat from the supermarket, I prefer my butcher.

Last edited:
I won’t buy any meat from Woolies any more after buying a tray of lamb bbq chops. The tray weighed 1.092 grams and the amount of fat I had to cut off weighed 384 grams, just over 700g of meat which I paid over 1 kg. The chops were layered on top of each other hiding all the fat so they looked fine. I also find some Woolies meat tough and do not like their mince.
I haven’t had similar problems with coles meat so buy all my meat there as we do not have a butcher shop in our local shopping centre.

View attachment 19072

View attachment 19073

‘Very poor,’ they added.

Key Takeaways

I bought a butterflied lamb shoulder roast ONCE, agree too much fat for me and the Air Fryer :>

Reactions: Jarred Santos
I won’t buy any meat from Woolies any more after buying a tray of lamb bbq chops. The tray weighed 1.092 grams and the amount of fat I had to cut off weighed 384 grams, just over 700g of meat which I paid over 1 kg. The chops were layered on top of each other hiding all the fat so they looked fine. I also find some Woolies meat tough and do not like their mince.
I haven’t had similar problems with coles meat so buy all my meat there as we do not have a butcher shop in our local shopping centre.
Your local Coles do not have butchers anymore ,they sacked all their butcher last year some whom had been with the company for twenty or more years.

View attachment 19072

View attachment 19073

‘Very poor,’ they added.

Key Takeaways

My only issue has been in recent times noting that there is no longer the piece of absorbent material beneath the meat. I will never buy chicken pieces that are floating in bloodied water as surely it's loaded with bacteria and in fairness to Woolworths the only time i have expressed an opinion was because of two conflicting tickets stating " reduced price " both former and reduced being the same.. i believed it was a genuine error and the assistant was mortified and apologetic and as i said not her fault and everyone makes a mistake.. i will address the matter with the butcher regarding the lack of the absorbent paper and as we knew complaining and doing nothing is pointless and unkind/unfair as the company can always address any matter if its s valid complaint
In all sincerity i have always been very happy shopping at my store and the floor staff are very friendly and courteous and helpful.. Midland ( best train station) 😊

Reactions: Jarred Santos

View attachment 19072

View attachment 19073

‘Very poor,’ they added.

Key Takeaways

Lamb, without a sizeable portion of fat is just dried rubbish. Wagu beef has a fat content of 40% even Filet is 30%

View attachment 19072

View attachment 19073

‘Very poor,’ they added.

Key Takeaways

I've bought a butterflied lamb once and found the same problem with the fat content. I have not bought another one since. Not worth it. Woolworths has lost a sale.