Are rising living costs pushing senior Australians to 'extreme' survival measures?

Many of us are experiencing the strain caused by the steadily increasing cost of living. Each passing day seems to bring higher expenses that take a toll not just on our finances but also on our overall well-being.

The burden of financial pressure perhaps weighs heaviest on senior Australians, who are largely reporting challenges coping with the harsh reality of rising costs.

One such case is Jane Bari, who took it upon herself to make a dramatic lifestyle change when she and her husband Jonathan realised that their pension and savings just weren't going to cut it anymore.

'I felt like we were really at rock bottom. I just figured there's got to be a better way,' she said of the situation.

Screen Shot 2023-07-10 at 4.24.25 PM.png
The rising pressure on living costs has affected 80 of older Australians, leaving some to explore alternate survival means. Credit: Shutterstock.

In late 2017, the couple made the decision to downsize and relocate to a smaller, more affordable home. Their previous residence, a stunning house situated on a one-acre plot in the charming Gippsland, was sold to ensure financial sustainability.

They then dedicated themselves to refining their skills in vegetable cultivation, breadmaking, and food preservation as a means to reduce expenses.

Gradually, a trip to the grocery store transformed from a routine errand into an unattainable luxury.

Jane even humorously referred to herself as an 'economic reality prepper', a somewhat unexpected but fitting label for her life of prudent spending and self-sufficiency.

As for the results? Jane couldn't be happier. 'We're just happy because we are now living below our means, rather than seeing bank accounts empty like it was before,' she said.

Over the course of five years, Ms Bari's brave decision to switch lifestyles helped them transform their financial situation from being burdened by debt to achieving complete debt freedom.

The National Seniors' Survey of Australia reported that a staggering 80 per cent of older Australians are feeling the various pressures of living costs, and this percentage is predicted to rise throughout the coming year.

The situation in Victoria is particularly dire. Council of the Ageing (COTA) Chief Executive Chris Potaris recently spoke out about how women aged 55 and over in the state are the fastest-growing group of homeless Victorians.

'It is a perfect storm that risks overwhelming some older Victorians,' he said.

Unfortunately, creating a safety net is nearly impossible for the vast majority of Australians. Not to mention the fact that most people are too embarrassed and ashamed to even talk openly about their financial troubles.

'One of my elderly neighbours has a television on at night. That is her sole source of light,' Jane shared.

'Another neighbour, I've seen her use a candle for lighting at night. But you don't hear people discussing their dire financial situations because I think poverty or going without fosters a great sense of shaming people.'

In an effort to break free from the shackles of debt, Jane opened her Wonthaggi gardens to the community during a recent sustainability event. In doing so, she shared her story of struggle and success in the hopes of helping other elderly Aussies come to terms with their financial situation.

'With a lot of people in financial situations like this, we tend to internalise it,' she said.

'We think that we are the only ones that are feeling this, so we say nothing, and we just bury it all. I'm trying to tell people, “Don't despair; don't give up. Face the situation and make a plan because—as the old adage goes—if you fail to plan, you plan to fail.”'

Key Takeaways

• Jane Bari and her husband, in a pressure situation, drastically cut their expenses, sold their family home, and moved to a more affordable house to manage their finances.
  • They adopted an economical lifestyle, learning skills like baking bread, preserving and freezing vegetables, and growing their own food.
  • In five years, they moved from being heavily in debt to completely debt-free, leading a life within their means.
  • The National Seniors' Survey of Australia states that 80 per cent of senior Australians have been impacted by rising living costs, with the number expected to rise over the next 12 months.

The soaring cost of living can be tough to handle, especially for many older Australians. But amidst this reality, there are stories like Ms Bari's that give us hope.

Her journey reminds us that by tackling our financial challenges head-on, creating a plan, and sticking to it, we can achieve stability, just like she did.

What are your thoughts on this story? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
Great story. Downsizing was something I never thought I would do but as time is going on and kids are moving out I'm looking at that the house is too big and even though rooms are empty you still have to clean them.
I still have 5 kids at home but I think within 2 years there will only be 2 and 7 bedrooms will be too much , so I will definitely downsize and hopefully by then the Government will takeaway stamp duty for seniors 🙂

Reactions: Ezzy and Jennylolo
I think if you have a yard (big or small) , a vegetable garden is a great way to reduce your grocery bill. we are eating pumpkin, peas, broccoli & spinach atm From our garden. I would def not suggest candles for lighting! I know a lady that used outdoor solar lights, she put them outside during the day, then bought them inside to use at night, I thought is was genius & definitely a safer option!

Lovely story. My leeks and spring onions dislike winter. In summer, they grow like weeds. I often cut them from the bottom and only use the green leaves, dice them and freeze in portions. This way, they sprout all the time, plus the diced green leaves are tasty with dishes.
My Chinese neighbour has a huge vegetable garden. At the moment, she has an abundance of lemons, so we freeze them too. I also zest the lemon, and freeze it also. The zest colour dulls a bit, but it tastes just the same.

Many of us are experiencing the strain caused by the steadily increasing cost of living. Each passing day seems to bring higher expenses that take a toll not just on our finances but also on our overall well-being.

The burden of financial pressure perhaps weighs heaviest on senior Australians, who are largely reporting challenges coping with the harsh reality of rising costs.

One such case is Jane Bari, who took it upon herself to make a dramatic lifestyle change when she and her husband Jonathan realised that their pension and savings just weren't going to cut it anymore.

'I felt like we were really at rock bottom. I just figured there's got to be a better way,' she said of the situation.

View attachment 24773
The rising pressure on living costs has affected 80 of older Australians, leaving some to explore alternate survival means. Credit: Shutterstock.

In late 2017, the couple made the decision to downsize and relocate to a smaller, more affordable home. Their previous residence, a stunning house situated on a one-acre plot in the charming Gippsland, was sold to ensure financial sustainability.

They then dedicated themselves to refining their skills in vegetable cultivation, breadmaking, and food preservation as a means to reduce expenses.

Gradually, a trip to the grocery store transformed from a routine errand into an unattainable luxury.

Jane even humorously referred to herself as an 'economic reality prepper', a somewhat unexpected but fitting label for her life of prudent spending and self-sufficiency.

As for the results? Jane couldn't be happier. 'We're just happy because we are now living below our means, rather than seeing bank accounts empty like it was before,' she said.

Over the course of five years, Ms Bari's brave decision to switch lifestyles helped them transform their financial situation from being burdened by debt to achieving complete debt freedom.

The National Seniors' Survey of Australia reported that a staggering 80 per cent of older Australians are feeling the various pressures of living costs, and this percentage is predicted to rise throughout the coming year.

The situation in Victoria is particularly dire. Council of the Ageing (COTA) Chief Executive Chris Potaris recently spoke out about how women aged 55 and over in the state are the fastest-growing group of homeless Victorians.

Unfortunately, creating a safety net is nearly impossible for the vast majority of Australians. Not to mention the fact that most people are too embarrassed and ashamed to even talk openly about their financial troubles.

'One of my elderly neighbours has a television on at night. That is her sole source of light,' Jane shared.

'Another neighbour, I've seen her use a candle for lighting at night. But you don't hear people discussing their dire financial situations because I think poverty or going without fosters a great sense of shaming people.'

In an effort to break free from the shackles of debt, Jane opened her Wonthaggi gardens to the community during a recent sustainability event. In doing so, she shared her story of struggle and success in the hopes of helping other elderly Aussies come to terms with their financial situation.

'With a lot of people in financial situations like this, we tend to internalise it,' she said.

'We think that we are the only ones that are feeling this, so we say nothing, and we just bury it all. I'm trying to tell people, “Don't despair; don't give up. Face the situation and make a plan because—as the old adage goes—if you fail to plan, you plan to fail.”'

Key Takeaways

• Jane Bari and her husband, in a pressure situation, drastically cut their expenses, sold their family home, and moved to a more affordable house to manage their finances.
  • They adopted an economical lifestyle, learning skills like baking bread, preserving and freezing vegetables, and growing their own food.
  • In five years, they moved from being heavily in debt to completely debt-free, leading a life within their means.
  • The National Seniors' Survey of Australia states that 80 per cent of senior Australians have been impacted by rising living costs, with the number expected to rise over the next 12 months.

The soaring cost of living can be tough to handle, especially for many older Australians. But amidst this reality, there are stories like Ms Bari's that give us hope.

Her journey reminds us that by tackling our financial challenges head-on, creating a plan, and sticking to it, we can achieve stability, just like she did.

And pity on those who have no house no super and no savings. We are the forgotten ones especially when you live alone

View attachment 24773

Key Takeaways

A vegie garden, yes, but- what else do they do that is so amazing to help cut costs?
Would really like to see pics or a list of what they grow & maybe the cost involved in growing/nurturing veg garden/fruit trees, etc. I've been trying to do this also for a couple of yrs now & have found it a real challenge to try to do it without it costing an absolute fortune (particularly in lost/dying/failed produce etc (everything else eats it before it matures- the latest being rats, so i dont get to have much of it at all! If by miracle it matures, even if that doesn't happen, things don't grow very well without fertiliser, etc (expensive) & compost is ok but could do with a proper compost bin (expensive/can't afford/may as well use that money to buy the produce).
Fruit trees cost a bomb to outlay but can take yrs of love & care (pruning, fertiliser, watering, etc- I'm on rain water & besides it being limited, it's expensive for the power to run the pump!)
It is however rewarding (if not financially, mentally & physically) being able to pick fresh veg or fruit & give it to friends, if lucky enough to have some success, plus gardening is exercise & fresh air/sunshine, but financially helpful, I don't think so, no!

Great story. Downsizing was something I never thought I would do but as time is going on and kids are moving out I'm looking at that the house is too big and even though rooms are empty you still have to clean them.
I still have 5 kids at home but I think within 2 years there will only be 2 and 7 bedrooms will be too much , so I will definitely downsize and hopefully by then the Government will takeaway stamp duty for seniors 🙂
Pensioners are exempt from stamp duty in Victoria. Of course, pensioners and seniors aren’t necessarily the same thing.

View attachment 24773

Key Takeaways

I always thought we could sell our 4 bed home and downsize for greater financial security but that boat has long sailed. There are few 3 bed homes. Those that are available are not in an area where we live or they require a ton of work or they cost as much as the sale price on our house. Great idea just unattainable for now at least.

View attachment 24773

Key Takeaways

Your comment @Suzanne rose rimnds me of a song by the late Dusty Springfield.
(WISHING AND HOPING?)

Reactions: Ezzy
I did our budget requirement for a year and when I showed it to my husband he said that it couldn't be right, for estimating rates, power, water, cars x 2, family pressies, insurances, etc. etc. it came to nearly $20k. I told him that didn't include food, his cigarettes, or alcohol, let alone entertainment or travel, nearly all of our family are interstate.
Downsizing is not an option because when the family does visit it's standing room only. We joined Costco (it is in our suburb) we buy in bulk from every 3 to 4 months to fill the freezer, but our biggest saving is on petrol the membership pays for itself in six weeks. I'm trying to grow vegies again, but they are still hiding underground at the moment, playing hide and seek.
I don't think the politicians give a sh*t about seniors or pensioners, they sit back on their $200K pay packets and will retire with their big fat superannuation and by that time we'll be gone and it will be our kids problem, oh no wait, that's already happening now.

I am a self funded retiree and don’t get any handouts from the government , live on my super , which is sufficient.
We downsized first to a 50 + lifestyle village , did not like it , too close to other people and they watch you whatever you do .
Sold up and sized up again , bought land and built a beautiful home, neighbourhood is very nice.
I have some verges and herbs growing in the backyard and will have some chickens when we get around .
I have bought spring onions from the shop and leave the bottom with the roots leave attached , then plant them in your yard , it works well , they do grow back.
You just have to be mindful with your spending . Do not smoke or drink alcohol or sugary soft drinks. .
going out to good café’s with friends.

I wished NSW would do the same. My 7 bedroom house , 2 bathrooms and 3 family rooms would be perfect for 2 families to share
I recently watched a programme on t.v. where 2 women in England wanted to buy a home together but have their own space for when their children visited.
What you have stated is exactly the sort of people your home would suit.

(You could always stay put & turn your home into a Boarding House 🤬).

I recently watched a programme on t.v. where 2 women in England wanted to buy a home together but have their own space for when their children visited.
What you have stated is exactly the sort of people your home would suit.

(You could always stay put & turn your home into a Boarding House 🤬).
We were talking about that today and I don't think I could live with strangers.

I want to buy large land and create a gated community, my kids build their own houses on it. This is something they all want to do

Sounds like a perfect idea. I hope things work out for you all. With such a large family l envisage you are all very close.
We were talking about that today and I don't think I could live with strangers.

I want to buy large land and create a gated community, my kids build their own houses on it. This is something they all want to do

A vegie garden, yes, but- what else do they do that is so amazing to help cut costs?
Would really like to see pics or a list of what they grow & maybe the cost involved in growing/nurturing veg garden/fruit trees, etc. I've been trying to do this also for a couple of yrs now & have found it a real challenge to try to do it without it costing an absolute fortune (particularly in lost/dying/failed produce etc (everything else eats it before it matures- the latest being rats, so i dont get to have much of it at all! If by miracle it matures, even if that doesn't happen, things don't grow very well without fertiliser, etc (expensive) & compost is ok but could do with a proper compost bin (expensive/can't afford/may as well use that money to buy the produce).
Fruit trees cost a bomb to outlay but can take yrs of love & care (pruning, fertiliser, watering, etc- I'm on rain water & besides it being limited, it's expensive for the power to run the pump!)
It is however rewarding (if not financially, mentally & physically) being able to pick fresh veg or fruit & give it to friends, if lucky enough to have some success, plus gardening is exercise & fresh air/sunshine, but financially helpful, I don't think so, no!
I agree. Home grown vegetables and fruit are wonderful, but more expensive than buying from a supermarket.