Are Coles and Woolies the only ones that still want self-serve checkouts? Retailers worldwide are ditching this feature

Is the self-serve checkout a modern convenience or a controversial nuisance? This question has been at the heart of a global debate among retailers and shoppers recently.

It comes after a growing number of retailers are abandoning self-serve checkouts in response to customer feedback.

However, Australian supermarket giants Coles and Woolworths appear to be resisting this trend.

Self-serve checkouts were introduced to retail chains globally nearly a decade ago. The goal was to expedite the checkout process and reduce labour costs by decreasing the need for cashiers.

However, these systems have not been universally embraced by shoppers, who sometimes preferred a human cashier’s assistance.

compressed-shutterstock_2245009065.jpeg
Customers have been calling to abandon self-serve checkouts. Credit: Shutterstock

In response to years of customer complaints, several retailers have decided to remove their self-serve checkouts. American superstore Walmart and UK grocery chain Booths have recently announced such changes, citing complaints about a lack of service and human interaction.

Canadian Tires, one of Canada's largest discount department stores, also followed suit, removing all self-checkout stalls in its Mississauga and North Bay, Ontario, stores.

Dwayne Ouelette, who took over the North Bay location, explained the decision.

'I’m not comfortable using them, and I don’t think some of my customers are comfortable [either],’ he said.

‘I’d rather my customers see my cashiers and if there’s any questions or concerns, at least there’s somebody they can talk to.’

The move has been met with applause from shoppers at Canadian Tire, many of whom expressed relief at the removal of the self-serve checkouts.

'I think that it’s much more customer-focused. It’s not relying on the customer to do the job for the retailer,' one shopper said.

Another said, ‘I’m happy to see that their self-checkouts are gone.’

Walmart stores in Albuquerque, New Mexico, also abandoned self-checkout, along with another supermarket in England.

However, the issue is not just about customer service. Retailers have also had to grapple with increased theft at self-serve checkouts.

In Australia, Coles and Woolworths have both implemented new security measures this year to combat shoplifting, which is estimated to cost the Australian retail industry a staggering $9 billion annually.

There were also reports of an increase in violent behaviour towards retail and supermarket workers. Some shoppers have also been stealing from service stations, cafes, and shops as the cost of living rises.

‘If you’re a thief, we’re gonna catch ‘ya,’ Coles’ Chief Operating Officer Matt Swindells said.

In a Finder survey of over 1000 respondents, 12 per cent confessed to stealing over the past 12 months due to financial stress—this amounts to 2.4 million people in the country.

Five per cent of Australians stole items at the supermarket self-checkout, while four per cent lied about what they scanned. For instance, they were telling the computer that it was weighing onions instead of avocados.

‘A lot of people are doing it tough as the cost of essentials like petrol, rent, and energy have risen sharply,’ Finder’s Money Expert Richard Whitten explained.

An anonymous supermarket worker shared how they confronted shoplifters every day for five years. They revealed that they confronted people from all walks of life—some are professionals, well-dressed to deceive, while others are simply trying to get by. Read more about the story here.

‘The result is a growing subset of Australians who are stealing consumables to survive.’

The new security measures track shoppers’ every move inside the store. These measures include overhead cameras, trolley locks, smart gates, and antitheft fog machines.

photo.jpg
Coles and Woolworths continue to use self-serve checkouts. Credit: news.com.au

Despite these challenges, Coles and Woolworths have resisted calls to abandon self-serve checkouts entirely. They stated that ‘millions of transactions are made using our self-service check-outs every single day’.

'We know some customers prefer to be served by a team member, and that’s why there is always that option in all of our stores,' a Woolies spokesperson said at the time.

‘The use of self-service technology is commonplace from airports to railway stations, and customer feedback shows our self-serve check-outs are popular for their convenience and speed.’

However, US Credit Analyst Matt Schulz suggested that retailers worldwide were ‘wrestling’ with the question of whether the convenience of self-checkout is worth the risk of increased theft.

'While self-checkout is convenient, it certainly poses a risk for shoplifting,' he said.

'Ultimately, retailers need to decide whether the self-checkout terminals are worth the risk.'

‘I don’t think self-checkout’s going to go away entirely, but I think we’re going to see a lot of retail swing back into a more balanced choice for shoppers.’
Key Takeaways
  • Retailers around the world, including American superstore Walmart, UK grocery chain Booths, and Canadian Tires, are removing self-service checkouts following customer complaints about a lack of service and human interaction.
  • In Australia, supermarket chains Coles and Woolworths have resisted calls to abandon self-service checkouts despite increasing thefts and violent behaviour towards workers.
  • These supermarkets have introduced new technologies to combat shoplifting, such as overhead cameras, trolley locks, smart gates and antitheft fog machines.
  • A recent survey showed that 12 per cent of Australians have confessed to stealing in the past 12 months due to financial stress, and 5 per cent had stolen items at the supermarket self-checkout.
What are your thoughts on self-serve checkouts? Do you prefer them for their convenience, or do you miss the human interaction of a traditional checkout? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
Is the self-serve checkout a modern convenience or a controversial nuisance? This question has been at the heart of a global debate among retailers and shoppers recently.

It comes after a growing number of retailers are abandoning self-serve checkouts in response to customer feedback.

However, Australian supermarket giants Coles and Woolworths appear to be resisting this trend.

Self-serve checkouts were introduced to retail chains globally nearly a decade ago. The goal was to expedite the checkout process and reduce labour costs by decreasing the need for cashiers.

However, these systems have not been universally embraced by shoppers, who sometimes preferred a human cashier’s assistance.

View attachment 36525
Customers have been calling to abandon self-serve checkouts. Credit: Shutterstock

In response to years of customer complaints, several retailers have decided to remove their self-serve checkouts. American superstore Walmart and UK grocery chain Booths have recently announced such changes, citing complaints about a lack of service and human interaction.

Canadian Tires, one of Canada's largest discount department stores, also followed suit, removing all self-checkout stalls in its Mississauga and North Bay, Ontario, stores.

'I’m not comfortable using them, and I don’t think some of my customers are comfortable [either],’ he said.

‘I’d rather my customers see my cashiers and if there’s any questions or concerns, at least there’s somebody they can talk to.’

The move has been met with applause from shoppers at Canadian Tire, many of whom expressed relief at the removal of the self-serve checkouts.

'I think that it’s much more customer-focused. It’s not relying on the customer to do the job for the retailer,' one shopper said.

Walmart stores in Albuquerque, New Mexico, also abandoned self-checkout, along with another supermarket in England.

However, the issue is not just about customer service. Retailers have also had to grapple with increased theft at self-serve checkouts.

In Australia, Coles and Woolworths have both implemented new security measures this year to combat shoplifting, which is estimated to cost the Australian retail industry a staggering $9 billion annually.

There were also reports of an increase in violent behaviour towards retail and supermarket workers. Some shoppers have also been stealing from service stations, cafes, and shops as the cost of living rises.

‘If you’re a thief, we’re gonna catch ‘ya,’ Coles’ Chief Operating Officer Matt Swindells said.

In a Finder survey of over 1000 respondents, 12 per cent confessed to stealing over the past 12 months due to financial stress—this amounts to 2.4 million people in the country.

Five per cent of Australians stole items at the supermarket self-checkout, while four per cent lied about what they scanned. For instance, they were telling the computer that it was weighing onions instead of avocados.

‘A lot of people are doing it tough as the cost of essentials like petrol, rent, and energy have risen sharply,’ Finder’s Money Expert Richard Whitten explained.

An anonymous supermarket worker shared how they confronted shoplifters every day for five years. They revealed that they confronted people from all walks of life—some are professionals, well-dressed to deceive, while others are simply trying to get by. Read more about the story here.

‘The result is a growing subset of Australians who are stealing consumables to survive.’

The new security measures track shoppers’ every move inside the store. These measures include overhead cameras, trolley locks, smart gates, and antitheft fog machines.

View attachment 36524

Despite these challenges, Coles and Woolworths have resisted calls to abandon self-serve checkouts entirely. They stated that ‘millions of transactions are made using our self-service check-outs every single day’.

'We know some customers prefer to be served by a team member, and that’s why there is always that option in all of our stores,' a Woolies spokesperson said at the time.

‘The use of self-service technology is commonplace from airports to railway stations, and customer feedback shows our self-serve check-outs are popular for their convenience and speed.’

However, US Credit Analyst Matt Schulz suggested that retailers worldwide were ‘wrestling’ with the question of whether the convenience of self-checkout is worth the risk of increased theft.

'While self-checkout is convenient, it certainly poses a risk for shoplifting,' he said.

'Ultimately, retailers need to decide whether the self-checkout terminals are worth the risk.'

‘I don’t think self-checkout’s going to go away entirely, but I think we’re going to see a lot of retail swing back into a more balanced choice for shoppers.’
Key Takeaways

• Retailers around the world, including American superstore Walmart, UK grocery chain Booths, and Canadian Tires, are removing self-service checkouts following customer complaints about a lack of service and human interaction.
  • In Australia, supermarket chains Coles and Woolworths have resisted calls to abandon self-service checkouts despite increasing thefts and violent behaviour towards workers.
  • These supermarkets have introduced new technologies to combat shoplifting, such as overhead cameras, trolley locks, smart gates and antitheft fog machines.
  • A recent survey showed that 12 per cent of Australians have confessed to stealing in the past 12 months due to financial stress, and 5 per cent had stolen items at the supermarket self-checkout.
What are your thoughts on self-serve checkouts? Do you prefer them for their convenience, or do you miss the human interaction of a traditional checkout? Share your thoughts in the comments below.
My local Aldi has only installed self serve in the last 2 weeks. Then again, I live in Queensland, which is 20 years behind any other state in Australia lol. (Ps, not using it, out of principle).

View attachment 36525

View attachment 36524

Key Takeaways

Coles and Woolies say this but they don't say the real reason people go to self serve, I am ex Coles/Franklins staffer and I can tell you it's because of the lack of open staffed registers, customers go to self serve because of the lines at the registers, now when you see the front end controller on register you know who to blame, the cut in staff allowed to operate the registers, I use self service but would prefer to have a staff member serve me, as they don't pay me to do this anymore, the people behind the checkout are people like us and they want to get you through as quick as possible and they love seeing a friendly face, but they get abused in all sorts of ways and it's so very wrong, so please think of how you treat the staff they are trying their best with limited control of what goes on within the store, I would have taken on any customer and did who abused my staff a little bit of kindness can go a long way.

I would have thought that with the growing trend for stealing that going back to having cashiers serving you putting through your groceries would be more of a money saver. Despite all the money Coles and Woolies has put in, to try and prevent people from stealing, whenever you read an article about this issue it continues to increase. With the fact that people don't like the self serve and the increase in theft it would make more sense to get rid of them and put things back to how they were. Not only do you see and speak to a human being, there is less chance of someone stealing. I am not saying it will stop it but for those who are looking at these figures you must be very stupid to continue hitting your head against a brick wall not to notice the major difference between what it was like then to what is like now in regards to lost revenue from food and items being stolen.

Last week, my local Coles reduced the number of cash self serve checkouts from 8 to 2. I found out the hard way by trying three previously cash machines before I noticed the handwritten note saying "Card Only". Strangely, they still have note and coin acceptors.

Out of the two cash machines, only one was working! So off to Woolies I go empty handed. Go to the self serve and just as I'm ready to scan my items, an assistant leans past me a tapes a "Card Only" on the machine with a half arsed "Sorry". I was f**king losing it.

Early that week, I went to another Woolies with the intention of making a mixed payment - cash and card. How hard is that? Scanned my debit card and what pops up "Contact your financial institution". Try another machine - same result. Check my bank balance in case I got scammed somehow. Nope all OK. Maybe I shouldn't have gone shopping last week....

And people wonder why I hate cashless transactions.

Why oh why does SDC keep coming up with topics that only get everyone infuriated???
This topic will be an ongoing saga 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: magpie1 and DLHM

View attachment 36525

View attachment 36524

Key Takeaways

View attachment 36525

View attachment 36524

Key Takeaways

Self-serve should never have been invented. Get rid of them.

View attachment 36525

View attachment 36524

Key Takeaways

I’m fine with self-serve checkouts and only use manned checkouts when absolutely necessary. Love the conveyor belt type self-serve at my local Coles

Give me an assisted checkout any day, and paying with CASH. Remember what that is? I HATE the self-serve ones! Card only most of them, and AI . No thankyou!

Reactions: Annna and magpie1
I absolutely hate self service , what happened to customer service.
Someone wrote boycot them I don't always have 3 his to wait in a line when they only have 1 lane open .
Self service is not for our convenience it is for there profit.
Stupidly I see people lined up for them often when a counter is open , very sheep like Australia

Reactions: Annna
I absolutely hate self service , what happened to customer service.
Someone wrote boycot them I don't always have 3 his to wait in a line when they only have 1 lane open .
Self service is not for our convenience it is for there profit.
Stupidly I see people lined up for them often when a counter is open , very sheep like Australia
Times are a changing. Either keep up or get left behind 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

View attachment 36525

View attachment 36524

Key Takeaways

I support the removal and destruction of self-serve checkouts. In fact, I’d be willing to take my truck down to my local Coles / Woolies / Bunnings (and now Aldi) & help load them on to the truck & take them to the tip - free of charge. Where will it stop? We currently have to bag, weigh & label some stuff before we put it into the trolley (nuts, dog treats, etc). That’s just the start of that…
Pretty soon, we’ll be unpacking pallets and stocking the shelves - all to keep prices down. Be careful, we’ll soon be flipping our own burgers at Maccas…

I REFUSE to use self check out. If there is only one cashier available and long line of people waiting, I just leave my trolly full of good there, including frozen goods, and walk out to somewhere else where they have more cashiers open.
Coles Maroochydore Qld usually only have one cashier so I now go to Woolies Maroochydore who usually have at least two. Aldi Maroochydore sometimes only have one cashier with a long que, all their self check outs are card only!!! ( what if you don’t own a card)? I often just leave my trolly there and go.
I am going to try IGA next and if their service if good I will support them.

• Angry
Reactions: Observer