Are beer-battered olives this summer’s next big food trend? Try them out and see for yourself!

As the weather gets warmer and we head outside a little more to visit friends and family (or just to relax and enjoy a cold beverage), there’s an exciting new food trend doing rounds.

Beer-battered olives are the latest dish to take the internet by storm, with some foodies raving about them and dubbing them the 'must-try' appetiser of summer.

This recipe was brought to us by Chef Carolina Gelen, who was inspired after scoring a cute bowl at an op-shop shaped like an olive. Really!

Taking to Instagram, she shared her recipe for her beer-battered olives where more than 150,000 people showed their love through hearts (likes). That’s a LOT of love for olives, eh?

Well, without further ado, let’s get started!

To make her recipe, you need these first:

• Pitted olives (226g)
  • Cheddar cheese (50g)
  • All-purpose flour (20g)

And of course, you also need the batter! For it, you should have:
  • All-purpose flour (74g)
  • Cornstarch (32g)
  • Baking powder (1 teaspoon)
  • Black pepper (½ teaspoon)
  • Fresh rosemary, finely chopped (about ½ tablespoon,)
  • Light beer or sparkling water (105g, add more as needed)
  • Salt (a pinch)
  • Cooking oil
  • Cayenne pepper powder

Screenshot_3.png
Chef Carolina dipping her beer-battered olives in creamy garlic-mayo dip. Yum! Credit: Instagram/@carolinagelen

Don’t forget the dip!
  • Two to three garlic cloves (minced)
  • Finely chopped chives or spring onions (2 tablespoons)
  • Greek yogurt (50g)
  • Mayonnaise (57g)
  • Lime juice (1 tablespoon)
  • Salt (just a pinch)

Now that we have our ingredients, let’s cook olives, Chef Caroline style!

First, remove the pits from the store-bought olives, then stuff each with a piece of cheddar cheese. Next, dredge the olives in flour and set them aside.

In a large shallow bowl, add flour, cornstarch, baking powder, black pepper, and chopped rosemary. Whisk the ingredients while adding the beer.

While you may add more if you want a stronger taste, we do recommend watching out as adding too much may cause the batter to be too thin to coat the olives!

Once the batter is mixed well, add oil to a pot about two inches deep. Heat to about 190 degrees Celsius.

Next, retrieve the olives and dip each of them in the batter until covered nicely.

Deep fry the olives for around 5 to 7 minutes — be sure to flip them so they’re evenly cooked! Once done, place the olives on a cooling rack lined with paper towels to drain the excess oil. (A plate would do if you don’t have a cooling rack, but don’t forget the paper towels!)

Tip
Tip: Set aside some sprigs when you chop your fresh rosemary and fry them for 30 seconds in the leftover oil.
And finally, the dip! This part is easy as you will only need to combine the minced garlic cloves, the chopped chives or spring onions, mayonnaise, Greek yogurt, lime juice, and salt in a bowl and mix.

Screenshot_4.png
Voila! Chef Carolina’s finished beer-battered olives garnished with rosemary sprigs and Cayenne pepper. Credit: Instagram/@carolinagelen

Once you get the dip done, don’t forget to dust the fried olives with Cayenne pepper powder (if you don’t mind a little spice) and a pinch of salt (if you followed our tip, add the quick-fried rosemary sprigs too!).

We don’t know about you, but the one word on our minds right now is: ‘Yum!’

Unsurprisingly, hundreds of foodies on social media are raving about the recipe as well.

‘Made these today, it was insanely delicious.’ one woman wrote in the comments section of Carolina's post.

A second user agreed and added, ‘Oh my God, I think I could probably eat my own weight in these!’

‘Wow! These are amazing! We couldn't stop eating them. Thank you so much for sharing!' another added.

Honestly, olives have never looked so delicious…

In the meantime, you might want to check out other delicious recipes we have at our cooking and recipes thread.

What are your thoughts, folks? Do you like this beer-battered recipe? Or do you have your own olive recipe? Post it down below so we can try it out!

Source: Instagram/@carolinagelen​

Sponsored
another example of deep frying a perfectly good food that tastes great on its own thank you, reminds me of deep fried Bananas , just another way of adding unhealthy additives to food that is essentially good for you, just eat the damn food the way that nature intended and stop trying to alter the taste. Every time I see a new method of preparing food by deep frying it I wonder where peoples taste buds have gone, if they even have any and don't get me started on Deep Fried Mars Bars!!

They do sound delicious!
I'm happy to eat olives any way they're prepared. I moved to the country and planted an olive farm of giant Kalamatas, my favourite.
I try to avoid trying new foods because there are already enough out there to tempt me.

Reactions: Ricci
As the weather gets warmer and we head outside a little more to visit friends and family (or just to relax and enjoy a cold beverage), there’s an exciting new food trend doing rounds.

Beer-battered olives are the latest dish to take the internet by storm, with some foodies raving about them and dubbing them the 'must-try' appetiser of summer.

This recipe was brought to us by Chef Carolina Gelen, who was inspired after scoring a cute bowl at an op-shop shaped like an olive. Really!

Taking to Instagram, she shared her recipe for her beer-battered olives where more than 150,000 people showed their love through hearts (likes). That’s a LOT of love for olives, eh?

• Pitted olives (226g)
  • Cheddar cheese (50g)

• Cornstarch (32g)
  • Salt (a pinch)
  • Cooking oil
  • Cayenne pepper powder

View attachment 8002
Chef Carolina dipping her beer-battered olives in creamy garlic-mayo dip. Yum! Credit: Instagram/@carolinagelen

Don’t forget the dip!
  • Greek yogurt (50g)
  • Mayonnaise (57g)
  • Salt (just a pinch)

First, remove the pits from the store-bought olives, then stuff each with a piece of cheddar cheese. Next, dredge the olives in flour and set them aside.

In a large shallow bowl, add flour, cornstarch, baking powder, black pepper, and chopped rosemary. Whisk the ingredients while adding the beer.

While you may add more if you want a stronger taste, we do recommend watching out as adding too much may cause the batter to be too thin to coat the olives!

Once the batter is mixed well, add oil to a pot about two inches deep. Heat to about 190 degrees Celsius.

Next, retrieve the olives and dip each of them in the batter until covered nicely.

Deep fry the olives for around 5 to 7 minutes — be sure to flip them so they’re evenly cooked! Once done, place the olives on a cooling rack lined with paper towels to drain the excess oil. (A plate would do if you don’t have a cooling rack, but don’t forget the paper towels!)

Tip
Tip: Set aside some sprigs when you chop your fresh rosemary and fry them for 30 seconds in the leftover oil.
And finally, the dip! This part is easy as you will only need to combine the minced garlic cloves, the chopped chives or spring onions, mayonnaise, Greek yogurt, lime juice, and salt in a bowl and mix.

View attachment 8003
Voila! Chef Carolina’s finished beer-battered olives garnished with rosemary sprigs and Cayenne pepper. Credit: Instagram/@carolinagelen

Once you get the dip done, don’t forget to dust the fried olives with Cayenne pepper powder (if you don’t mind a little spice) and a pinch of salt (if you followed our tip, add the quick-fried rosemary sprigs too!).

Unsurprisingly, hundreds of foodies on social media are raving about the recipe as well.

‘Made these today, it was insanely delicious.’ one woman wrote in the comments section of Carolina's post.

A second user agreed and added, ‘Oh my God, I think I could probably eat my own weight in these!’

‘Wow! These are amazing! We couldn't stop eating them. Thank you so much for sharing!' another added.

In the meantime, you might want to check out other delicious recipes we have at our cooking and recipes thread.

What are your thoughts, folks? Do you like this beer-battered recipe? Or do you have your own olive recipe? Post it down below so we can try it out!

Source: Instagram/@carolinagelen​

Yum!😋

• Pitted olives (226g)
  • Cheddar cheese (50g)

• Cornstarch (32g)
  • Salt (a pinch)
  • Cooking oil
  • Cayenne pepper powder

View attachment 8002

Don’t forget the dip!
  • Greek yogurt (50g)
  • Mayonnaise (57g)
  • Salt (just a pinch)

Tip

View attachment 8003

Source: I​

I must try this recipe, although I stopped drinking in 2000, there is something satisfying in cooking with beer, wine, and spirits, as although the alcohol has been cooked out. There is something satisfying in the flavour of your preferred booze.

Last edited:
This sounds very similar to my fish batter.

Gosh I'm married to a Greek and all my kids LOVE olives. We have 3 olive trees and I preserve my own olives.

Olives are one of those things you don't change and definitely not batter.

I'm the only one in my family that hates olives.

Reactions: Gaena and Ricci
This is not a new thing. Battered, stuffed, and breaded olives have been around for years. I was taught how to make these by an old Italian lady 40-odd years ago. If these are not done right then they will be very salty due to the brine. You need to remove the brine from the olives first.

Reactions: Gaena and Ricci