SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
A

April Bradford

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2022
April Recommends…. Lego!

For my recent birthday, I received a large Lego set of a Japanese tranquil garden. Honestly, I was a little confused by the present, but I thought I’d try it. Little did I know it would spur on quite the obsession through March.

I haven’t quite pinpointed the exact reason I enjoy it so much. It could be the joy of seeing the finished product. Maybe it’s the ability to shut off for a few hours and say goodbye to any niggling thoughts. Regardless, I saw a notable increase in my happiness and enthusiasm as a result.

According to Lego Group’s Play Well Report 2022, 93 per cent of adults regularly feel stressed. The same report found that regular play (for example, building Lego) could provide a dopamine burst, on top of relaxation, mindfulness and improving self-esteem.

So, it seems I’m not the only adult experiencing the benefits of Lego.

Their 18+ range was introduced in 2020. The sets are more advanced than standard LEGO sets and are intended for adult builders (my Japanese garden set fell in this category).

There are beautiful Lego flower bouquets and plants that you see in more and more homes as decor. There’s also an art range, including The Great Wave off Kanagawa.

There are different ranges, and here’s my general thoughts. The adult sets will take you a few hours and look a lot more impressive to display. The Creator sets (usually 3-in-1) are fantastic value but admittedly do look more child-like with bright colours. I’ve found these to be equally fun to make, but they take significantly less time. I really appreciate that you can choose what to build, for example, a parrot, fish or frog. Be sure to look for ‘3-in-1’ on the box, as not all Creator sets are included.

Here are some of my favourite recent builds:

Tranquil Garden

20240402_091222_0000.png
Image Credit: April

The set that started it all. This is still my favourite, as the attention to detail is beautiful. From a full tea ceremony set up inside the pavilion to koi swimming in the water and trees that can be arranged easily at any time.

Kingfisher Bird

IMG_6849.jpg

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this one, but the added height was satisfying to see come to life. I personally think this looks fantastic on display.

Hokusai – The Great Wave

IMG_6742.jpg

This one was quite fiddly, and I found some of the white waves to be difficult to see/build. However, this is by far the most impressive piece visually. You can even hang it on your wall!

Exotic Pink Parrot

IMG_6557.jpg

My first 3-in-1 set. This helped me realise that I don’t need to pay a premium for the 18+ sets. It’s quicker and slightly easier but still fun. Plus, it’s great value if you try building all three versions.

‘But Lego is expensive.’

It really is. Every single set I’ve purchased myself has been on sale. Stores like BIG W and Kmart consistently have lower prices than somewhere like the official Lego store.
I’ve been informed that in some areas, ‘Lego libraries’ exist where you can loan out a set, build it and then return it. The one I was told about is in Brisbane, and I’ve yet to find one in NSW, but it’s something to look out for!

Members, this isn’t sponsored; I’m just really enthusiastic about Lego right now. But if you know the CEO of Lego, please tell them to send me some freebies!

All beautiful. My kids grew up on Lego and my grandchildren are now into Lego as well. Have you watched Lego Masters? I think it is on channel 9. You will love it. Look it up and watch earlier seasons.

All beautiful. My kids grew up on Lego and my grandchildren are now into Lego as well. Have you watched Lego Masters? I think it is on channel 9. You will love it. Look it up and watch earlier seasons.
Oh, this TV show totally slipped my mind! I've watched an episode before and really enjoyed it. Thank you so much @midgemills; I know what I'll be watching tonight :D

• Love
Reactions: midgemills