An End of An Era: The Honeymooners legend Joyce Randolph (99) and Days of Our Lives star Bill Hayes (98) pass away

Fans of beloved television shows The Honeymooners and Days of Our Lives are grieving after the news broke out of the demise of two of its iconic stars.

Joyce Randolph, aged 99, and Bill Hayes, aged 98, have sadly passed away last weekend.

Joyce Randolph, the beloved actress who brought the character of Trixie Norton to life in the classic 1950s sitcom The Honeymooners, passed away in her sleep at her New York City home on January 13 due to natural causes.

Her son, Randolph Richard Charles, confirmed the news to the media. Before her passing, she had reportedly been in hospice care, grappling with the inevitable effects of old age.

GD1X3poXMAAv0WO.jpg
Joyce Randolph passed away last January 13. Source: @joeramoni/X (Twitter)

Randolph leaves behind her son Randy, her only child, with her late husband, Richard Lincoln Charles, who passed away in 1997.

Her death marks the end of an era, as she was the last surviving member of the main cast of the popular show.

Born in Detroit, Michigan, in 1924, Randolph moved to New York City in the 1940s to pursue her acting career.

She landed her iconic role as Trixie Norton, the wife of Ed Norton, on The Honeymooners in 1955. The sitcom, which ran for 39 episodes until 1956, became an instant classic, with Randolph's performance earning her a place in the hearts of millions of viewers.

The role came to her after co-star Jackie Gleason saw her in a Clorets gum commercial in 1951 and was impressed by her talent.

Randolph's portrayal of Trixie Norton, a former burlesque dancer turned housewife, was a perfect foil to the antics of her on-screen husband, played by Art Carney, and the show's lead, Ralph Kramden, played by Gleason.

Following her rise to fame, Randolph continued to work in television, albeit sporadically. She appeared on shows like Hi Honey I'm Home and The Doctors and the Nurse.

Despite her limited screen time post-Honeymooners, Randolph's impact on the world of television was indelible.

The news of Randolph's passing has led to an outpouring of tributes from fans on social media, with many expressing their sadness at the loss of the last surviving member of The Honeymooners cast.

'Rest in Peace, Joyce Randolph. Thanks for the laughs,' wrote one fan, while another added, 'Heaven just gained another bright star.'

‘An era comes to a close with the passing of Joyce Randolph. The Honeymooners cast was truly one of the greatest…ever. May all their memories be a blessing,’ a third person posted.

A social media user shared, ‘I watched The Honeymooners as a kid. It was quite popular at the time. TV wasn't as big a thing as it is now, there was very little programming.’

In a 2021 interview with Forbes, Randolph reflected on the enduring legacy of the popular show.

'People loved The Honeymooners when we did it, but we had no idea that new generations of fans would enjoy it all these years later,' she said.

'We can all still relate to these characters. It is just timeless.'

You can watch an episode of the show here:

In similar news, the world of television also mourns the loss of Bill Hayes, a stalwart of the popular soap opera Days of Our Lives.

His representatives confirmed the news in a statement last January 12. The cause of death remains undisclosed.

'We share the passing of our beloved Bill Hayes with a heavy heart,' the statement read.

'As one of the longest-running characters on Days of our Lives, Bill brought to life the role of Doug Williams in 1970 and portrayed him continuously throughout his life. His enduring partnership with his wife, Susan Seaforth-Hayes, formed the bedrock of the Williams-Horton family for over 50 years.'

GDsUHcFW8AA2P4i.jpg
Bill Hayes passed away last January 12. Source: @DAYSEpisodes/X (Twitter)

Ken Corday, the Executive Producer of the beloved show, paid tribute to Hayes' significant contribution to the soap opera that spanned five decades.

‘I have known Bill for most of my life, and he embodied the heart and soul of Days of Our Lives. Although we are grieving and will miss him, Bill's indelible legacy will live on in our hearts and the stories we tell, both on and off the screen.'

Hayes first stepped into the shoes of Doug Williams in 1970, shortly after meeting and falling in love with his wife, Susan Seaforth-Hayes, who also played his on-screen wife.

The couple quickly became known as the first couple of daytime television, their on and off-screen romance captivating audiences for decades.

Hayes' portrayal of Williams was consistent until 1984 and then again from 1986 until 1987.

Even after his main run, he made recurring appearances as the character. His last appearance on the show was in the December 22 episode last year, marking over 2,100 episodes featuring his character.

His exceptional performance earned him nominations for the Outstanding Actor Daytime Drama Series award at the Daytime Emmy Awards in 1975 and 1976.

In 2018, Hayes and his wife Seaforth-Hayes were honoured with Lifetime Achievement Awards at the 45th Annual Daytime Emmy Awards.

Upon accepting the award, the couple delivered a heartfelt joint acceptance speech expressing their gratitude for their roles and the unwavering support of their fans.

'Days is a show about stories of the heart,' said Seaforth-Hayes. 'It's about love stories, and Billy and I are thrilled to think that our love story and some of our performances are considered worth remembering.'

Hayes added, 'When we meet the fans all across the country, often their eyes will well up with tears at the memories, for our show is as cherished as a family album, and we are part of their family. It's been wonderful for us. It's truly gratifying.’

'Let us continue giving our viewers the romance that they love so much, plus something more. Let us create dramas that make our audience not only laugh and cry but think and feel and know that we care about what they've been going through in their own lives,' he concluded.

Hayes leaves behind his wife Seaforth-Hayes, their five children, 12 grandchildren, and 27 great-grandchildren.

The couple talked about the iconic show here:

Key Takeaways
  • Joyce Randolph, best known for playing Trixie Norton on The Honeymooners, passed away at age 99.
  • She died in her sleep from natural causes and had been in hospice care due to the effects of old age.
  • Tributes have poured in on social media, acknowledging her contribution to television and remembering her role on the classic sitcom.
  • Bill Hayes, a long-time actor from Days of Our Lives, passed away at the age of 98.
  • He was best known for originating the role of Doug Williams in 1970 and continuously playing the character throughout his life.
  • Along with his wife, Susan Seaforth-Hayes, he was considered a daytime television supercouple and received a Lifetime Achievement Award at the Daytime Emmy Awards.

As we remember Joyce Randolph and Bill Hayes, let's take a moment to appreciate the laughter and joy they brought into our lives through their characters. Their legacy will live on in the timeless episodes, continuing to bring smiles to viewers' faces for generations to come.

Our thoughts and prayers are with their families at this difficult time. May they rest in peace.

Sponsored
The only Soap Opera I have ever seen is Days of Our Lives and even then, it was while I was having lunch. I started watching it in 1978 and the last time I watched it was in 1981. I did enjoy watch Bill Hayes and his wife; they added a bit of class. I remember people having a "wedding party" when they got married.

The only Soap Opera I have ever seen is Days of Our Lives and even then, it was while I was having lunch. I started watching it in 1978 and the last time I watched it was in 1981. I did enjoy watch Bill Hayes and his wife; they added a bit of class. I remember people having a "wedding party" when they got married.
They must have pulled off quite a performance if people were driven to celebrate like that :O What a legacy!

Reactions: Marilynne
Talking about “The Honeymooners” takes me back. When was very young, my family and I would visit my grandparents and my grandpa loved that show as he puffed away on his stinky cigar. I remember thinking my grandpa looked like Jackie Gleason. 😂

Talking about “The Honeymooners” takes me back. When was very young, my family and I would visit my grandparents and my grandpa loved that show as he puffed away on his stinky cigar. I remember thinking my grandpa looked like Jackie Gleason. 😂
'The Great One'

Reactions: DLHM