American travel blogger’s trip to Australia described as ‘mediocre beaches and city life’

The Land Down Under is often celebrated for its stunning coastlines, unique wildlife, and laid-back lifestyle, but not everyone seems to be enamoured with Australia's charms.

Travel blogger Grace Cheng, known for her candid reviews, recently embarked on a global tour, visiting 11 countries in 2023.

However, her trip to Australia, which included stops in Melbourne, the Gold Coast, Byron Bay, and Sydney, left her feeling underwhelmed.

Cheng, who prides herself on not sugar-coating her travel experiences, expressed her disappointment in a video posted on social media.

'If I’m being honest none of these cities really stood out to me,' she said.

'I know it was partly on me for not having the best travel itinerary, but if you’re comparing to world standards, the cities here aren’t that interesting.'

Screenshot 2024-01-24 113704.png
Travel Blogger Grace Cheng said she had an ‘underwhelming’ experience when she travelled to Australia. Image: TikTok/@gracietravels

Even the celebrity-favourite Byron Bay, home to stars like Chris Hemsworth and Zac Efron, failed to impress the seasoned traveller.

Cheng's Australian adventure, she said, 'consisted of mediocre beaches and city life,' and she found Sydney to be 'underwhelming'.

Adding to her dissatisfaction was the country's geographical isolation, saying, 'Australia is just also just so far away from everywhere else in the world,' she noted.

'Travelling time alone probably takes over 24 hours. It can be a little bit inconvenient and a hassle if you’re not getting the most out of this country.'

However, it wasn't all negative for Cheng.

While Australia’s beaches and cities failed to leave a good impression on her, she praised Australia's culinary scene and found navigation easy due to the lack of a language barrier.

'It’s not too big of a culture shock coming from the States either,' she added.

'I will say the lingo is different and it was hard at times to understand what the locals were saying.'

Despite her less-than-stellar review, Cheng acknowledged missing out on 'so many beautiful places' and plans to return to Australia.

She even invited her online followers to suggest places she should visit when she comes back.

Cheng's critique sparked a lively debate among her followers, with some agreeing that while Australia's cities might not match the excitement of global metropolises, the country offers a superior living experience.

‘Yeah, for a visit compared to NYC, London, Paris etc. it’s pretty bland. To live here is another matter altogether. City [and] nature in one, better than most,’ one person wrote.

'Great place to live but not a very exciting place to visit by big city standards,' another user commented.

‘As an Australian, I very much agree with you. By comparison to other big world cities, especially for a seasoned traveller, we just DON’T compare,’ said a third.

'Melbourne is an incredible city to live in, but to visit honestly I have no idea what tourists do here haha. I totally get what you mean,' another expressed.

However, Cheng's description of Australia's beaches as 'mediocre' was met with disbelief.

'Mediocre beaches…you’re kidding,' one user wrote, while another added, 'They have the best beaches in the world. Like you said, it’s on you to not go to the best places.'

Australia's appeal lies not just in its bustling cities but in its unique landscapes, diverse wildlife, and rich cultural heritage.

The country's vastness and geographical isolation have given rise to a unique biodiversity, with a high proportion of endemic species.

Furthermore, Australia's cities offer a unique blend of cosmopolitan life and outdoor living.

The country's cultural heritage, including its Indigenous history and traditions, also adds to its allure.

From ancient rock art sites to contemporary Indigenous music and dance, Australia offers a rich tapestry of cultural experiences.

In conclusion, while every traveller's experience is subjective, it's essential to remember that Australia's charm extends beyond its cities.

Its unique landscapes, rich biodiversity, beautiful beaches, and cultural heritage make it a destination worth exploring.

You can watch Cheng’s full video below:

Source: TikTok/@gracietravels​

Key Takeaways
  • A travel blogger found her trip to Australia bland and described Australian beaches as mediocre.
  • Grace Cheng visited cities like Melbourne, the Gold Coast, Byron Bay and Sydney but was underwhelmed by what they had to offer.
  • Despite her overall disappointment, she praised the ease of getting around and the quality of restaurants in Australia.
  • While some social media users agreed with her sentiments about Australian cities, others defended the country’s beaches and argued it is a better place to live than visit.

What are your thoughts, dear readers? Do you agree with Grace Cheng's assessment, or do you think she missed out on the true essence of Australia? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below.

• Angry
Reactions: Ezzy and what
Sponsored
You don't know what you've missed.I was born in Victoria. My ex was in the army and we were posted to WA for 18 months. I absolutely loved WA, we then got posted to Puckapunyal.
After he got out of the army I couldn't wait to come back to WA.
That was 50 years ago, I've never wanted to go back to Victoria.
I visit occasionally,my brother lives in Pakenham.
Just a 20 minute train ride for me to Pakenham. All things going well, I'll be living in Perth in a few months. ❤️

I'm sure you will love it. Yes, when I left Vic, Pakenham was considered the country line, now it's like an outer suburb, things move along a lot in fifty years.
My new love lives in Applecross on the southern banks of the Swan River in Perth. I just can't wait to relocate to be with her 3500 kms away! She is beautiful....a Canadian/Australian with blue eyes and blonde hair and a resident of Australia for the last 45 years. Almost 135 years of living between us!

• Love
Reactions: Knell
My new love lives in Applecross on the southern banks of the Swan River in Perth. I just can't wait to relocate to be with her 3500 kms away! She is beautiful....a Canadian/Australian with blue eyes and blonde hair and a resident of Australia for the last 45 years. Almost 135 years of living between us!
Well you'll certainly be living in a very nice part of Perth.
I wish you and your new love all the best in your new life together 💞

Just a 20 minute train ride for me to Pakenham. All things going well, I'll be living in Perth in a few months. ❤️
Ah nice! My son just got back from a visit there and he loved it! Cute Quokkas, Dolphins, and lovely heritage buildings...and your new life/love - wonderful! Happy for you! No humidity is a bonus.

Well this is exciting! I missed this post yesterday! I still want to know the NRL team? hahaha pleasssse!?