American expat reveals the BIGGEST ‘culture shocks’ she experienced in Australia

Every country has its own set of values, cultures, and beliefs – so moving to the other side of the world will inevitably lead to culture shocks. But have you ever wondered which Aussie norms may come off bewildering to expats?

An American expat revealed a list of things that have shocked her since she moved Down Under. Tate Duane, with the TikTok username @tatesescape, detailed her struggle with almost everything – from the way Australians drive and speak to the food served in restaurants.

Kicking things off with how Aussies drive on the opposite side of the road. Tate described the change as 'stressful'.

'I have lived abroad before and driven on the wrong side of the road... But for some reason, watching people drive here stresses me out!’ she said.

She added that left turns make her nervous the most and that she struggles with road rules such as not being allowed to turn right 'on red'.

Next on the list is Australian slang, particularly how we often shorten terms: 'Every word is shortened, even if it doesn't need to be shortened.’ she said.

'A lady came in the other day and ordered two caps, and I thought she asked for two cups, so I handed her two cups. She clarified that she wanted two cappuccinos.'

rPQ85marr9g5mDRs5QS7jyn2muHOwq-78Xj9Do-3gri8BAw1vc5WrOxkGgtTyNBsqHbWNeD6fonbXRDf13x4zYHFFIktyt9zVLzrfTTSnb-JNjsEzQS0UC6gogCzg3R8Liggt9bQ688rkpA6NMkHrcKcv3UQzNN2kX8l8HGoJtu4IaLDLxAU1OPI4w
OWg_OGk6t67I_vBY4bKmA8vVWLp3aAb8q7p00l_gV7rmqKDpRP7p8LdYMKGmV93RcCqK43KdvwePM2u5bwApBZ1x3wyF-zvTYGgu6kwZKiI4HX2Y0v5DOEwDn4XNR9_Vn6H5DDMGxhIRYs_D8XbCbacJ6Zi4sNzSGzkUjM0LUHG-gSZp9WyxDt9cPg

The American expat listed the things she found shocking in Australia. Source: @tatesescape

She also mentioned that the word 'keen' is never used in the US but she has heard it a lot since she moved.

'I think it is so funny. Like when people excitedly text "KEEN" cause they are looking forward to something.’ she said.

She went on to compare US tradies and those from Australia.

'All of our plumbers in the US are stereotyped as older men. Here in Australia, everyone is so young – all of the electricians, plumbers, miners.’

She then approved of Asian food in Australia, but Mexican food was given a thumbs down.

RyZc41_hJwhPqnBlrVIfaPndMRjIJMnVKqjjOPqVzHNi39OP_oqlJbl7OkuKARuI88a_0ZWS32p5bMyCPVV5ASyxs1eC_kHgDtdXN4l4j2H6WIgeAXundCNg_IlGJq5NQJJx5JLQWGaJ_RvPtdnucQ-JptvEzg0pnkw9tqZNROKrx13MsFF-G3YiMA

She gave Asian food in Australia the seal of approval. Source: Zafigo

Tate pointed out how British rap and techno music were everywhere, sharing that the experience is 'wild' for an American before moving on to a non-existent critter commonly found in the US: ‘The way that there are no squirrels on this entire continent blows my mind.' she said.
‘How did that happen?’

She then criticised how the use of the ‘C word’ is something many Australians feel comfortable with as it is looked down upon in her home country.

'My jaw dropped the first time I heard it thrown around so casually.’ she said.

Despite the huge list of culture shocks, Tate emphasised that she loves living in Australia. Several Aussies jumped at the opportunity to educate the young traveller in the comments.

'Right on red would take you across traffic and you would die!’ one woman warned.

'What we lack in squirrels, we make up for in possums.’ another added.

‘Tradies here make a fortune so everyone is keen to work in the industry.’ a third explained, while a fourth teased: ‘I’m glad the American knew that Australia is a continent.’

‘Australia is literally right next to Asia hahaha! Of course, we’re going to make better Asian food than Mexican dishes.’ one more wrote.

What are your thoughts about Tate’s list of culture shocks? Do you agree with some of them? What would you change? Let us know in the comments!

Watch the full TikTok video below:

Source: @tatesescape

Sponsored
Every country has its own set of values, cultures, and beliefs – so moving to the other side of the world will inevitably lead to culture shocks. But have you ever wondered which Aussie norms may come off bewildering to expats?

An American expat revealed a list of things that have shocked her since she moved Down Under. Tate Duane, with the TikTok username @tatesescape, detailed her struggle with almost everything – from the way Australians drive and speak to the food served in restaurants.

Kicking things off with how Aussies drive on the opposite side of the road. Tate described the change as 'stressful'.

'I have lived abroad before and driven on the wrong side of the road... But for some reason, watching people drive here stresses me out!’ she said.

She added that left turns make her nervous the most and that she struggles with road rules such as not being allowed to turn right 'on red'.

Next on the list is Australian slang, particularly how we often shorten terms: 'Every word is shortened, even if it doesn't need to be shortened.’ she said.

'A lady came in the other day and ordered two caps, and I thought she asked for two cups, so I handed her two cups. She clarified that she wanted two cappuccinos.'

rPQ85marr9g5mDRs5QS7jyn2muHOwq-78Xj9Do-3gri8BAw1vc5WrOxkGgtTyNBsqHbWNeD6fonbXRDf13x4zYHFFIktyt9zVLzrfTTSnb-JNjsEzQS0UC6gogCzg3R8Liggt9bQ688rkpA6NMkHrcKcv3UQzNN2kX8l8HGoJtu4IaLDLxAU1OPI4w
OWg_OGk6t67I_vBY4bKmA8vVWLp3aAb8q7p00l_gV7rmqKDpRP7p8LdYMKGmV93RcCqK43KdvwePM2u5bwApBZ1x3wyF-zvTYGgu6kwZKiI4HX2Y0v5DOEwDn4XNR9_Vn6H5DDMGxhIRYs_D8XbCbacJ6Zi4sNzSGzkUjM0LUHG-gSZp9WyxDt9cPg

The American expat listed the things she found shocking in Australia. Source: @tatesescape

She also mentioned that the word 'keen' is never used in the US but she has heard it a lot since she moved.

'I think it is so funny. Like when people excitedly text "KEEN" cause they are looking forward to something.’ she said.

'All of our plumbers in the US are stereotyped as older men. Here in Australia, everyone is so young – all of the electricians, plumbers, miners.’

She then approved of Asian food in Australia, but Mexican food was given a thumbs down.

RyZc41_hJwhPqnBlrVIfaPndMRjIJMnVKqjjOPqVzHNi39OP_oqlJbl7OkuKARuI88a_0ZWS32p5bMyCPVV5ASyxs1eC_kHgDtdXN4l4j2H6WIgeAXundCNg_IlGJq5NQJJx5JLQWGaJ_RvPtdnucQ-JptvEzg0pnkw9tqZNROKrx13MsFF-G3YiMA

Tate pointed out how British rap and techno music were everywhere, sharing that the experience is 'wild' for an American before moving on to a non-existent critter commonly found in the US: ‘The way that there are no squirrels on this entire continent blows my mind.' she said.
‘How did that happen?’

She then criticised how the use of the ‘C word’ is something many Australians feel comfortable with as it is looked down upon in her home country.

Despite the huge list of culture shocks, Tate emphasised that she loves living in Australia. Several Aussies jumped at the opportunity to educate the young traveller in the comments.

'Right on red would take you across traffic and you would die!’ one woman warned.

‘Tradies here make a fortune so everyone is keen to work in the industry.’ a third explained, while a fourth teased: ‘I’m glad the American knew that Australia is a continent.’

‘Australia is literally right next to Asia hahaha! Of course, we’re going to make better Asian food than Mexican dishes.’ one more wrote.

What are your thoughts about Tate’s list of culture shocks? Do you agree with some of them? What would you change? Let us know in the comments!

Source: @tatesescap

Bloody well go home then!!!!😡😡

‘How did that happen?’

Wonder why she keeps on glancing to her right -- is she seeking approval from her kindergarten teacher?

I have to agree with her that we should join the rest of the world and introduce a turn
on " LEFT " at a red light after stopping.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Paul1968 and Ricci

‘How did that happen?’

My mumma said if you have nothing nice to say then say nothing - I think I will say nothing

Sounds like a whinger to me. I just came back from 9 weeks in the USA and driving on "their" wrong side of the road, especially at 75mph on the freeways. I had no issues with it. Yes the food over there is fatty and loads of takeaways, no wonder most of them are overweight. I much prefer the Aussie life thanks.

At leat we don't lengthen words by emphasising the "R's". We pronounce extraordin'ry while they pronounce extraordinAIRy. And don't get me started on feet and inches, pounds and ounces - the rest of the world has moved on.

‘How did that happen?’

We do have some squirrels in Australia, the American Grey
Squirrel lives here, but if she doesn't like the way we drive, shorten words and cook Mexican food she can leave anytime she likes..

I have travelled extensively and love to embrace all the different cultures .Some are good and some not so good but it all makes up the tapestry of life so if she came here thinking everything should be the same as America then she should have stayed at home.There are plenty of flights heading that way right now.

I agree with the above comments and as for the use of the "C" word the worst I have heard was from 2 very well dressed american women in their mid 20s who came into my workplace at the State Library of Tsamania to use our online access centre, they were very polite for the first few minutes and then the C words started coming out of their mouths, I had to ask them the stop using it several times, it was disgusting, and in a library setting too, don't care what they do at home.

I agree with the above comments and as for the use of the "C" word the worst I have heard was from 2 very well dressed american women in their mid 20s who came into my workplace at the State Library of Tsamania to use our online access centre, they were very polite for the first few minutes and then the C words started coming out of their mouths, I had to ask them the stop using it several times, it was disgusting, and in a library setting too, don't care what they do at home.
I was always taught that swearing was a sign of poor vocabulary, only to be used when no other word would do, and never in front of little people.

‘How did that happen?’

Tate…stop whinging or go home !!!

Reactions: Ricci
Australians definitely swear way too much, especially young tradies. Fn this, Fn that. The C word especially is not appropriate, especially in public.

It's interesting how some young people think they are so clever, yet they've never invented better swear words than those we grew up with in OUR youth. They are still used to this day 😅

Reactions: Ricci
I think she needs to go up a notch in the quality of people she mixes with, if the C word is coming out too casually- I am an immigrant to this country as an adult and yes there are a lot of things done differently here!
But that’s Australia snd you take the good with the bad and count your blessings.
I must say that for the first month I barely got a single word our host was saying and got quite good at nodding and smiling intelligently.
Been here 35 years now and still don’t fully understand this country.

There is absolutely NO instance to use this word in conversation. It is disgusting and shows zero education in the use of English Adjectival and Verb use.

Reactions: Marj53 and Ricci

‘How did that happen?’

here in Aussie land, we don't elect brainless criminals as leaders like America. Now that is a big difference.

Reactions: Senor and Ricci